ENT specialist, or Otolaryngologist is a doctor specializing in the diagnosis, treatment, and care of diseases affecting the ear, nose, and throat of patients. Their job description includes surgical and medical treatment of ears, nose, throat, and related head and neck areas. They are trained to manage the upper pharynx and oral cavity, larynx, ears, nose and nasal passage, and throat.
ENT specialist can also focus on any one of the three major areas, and specialize only in that.
Increased environmental pollution and intake of junk food has increased the diseases related to ear, nose, and throat, therefore exponentially increasing the demand for ENT specialists.
The admission process for the course is varied, as various institutes have their very own criteria and processes of admission. Admission to the course is often based on the candidate’s obtained merit at the level of MBBS, and sometimes, on the candidate’s performance in a relevant entrance exam, followed by a round of counselling, based on performance in which, students are admitted.
Q: What are the skills required to be an ENT Specialist?
A: Here are some skills required to be an ENT Specialist:
- They should have a lot of stamina to work long hours as the job demands it on a very regular basis.
- They should be able to get along well with people and have excellent communication skills.
- They should have excellent hand- coordination
- They should have excellent problem- solving skills and critical- thinking.
- They should have a strong moral philosophy and must be able to work well under pressure.
Q: What are the career prospects available after MS in ENT?
A: Besides practice in government and private organizations, private practice, and research, such professionals can also pursue teaching in universities and colleges. ENT Specialists also examine medical and surgical disorders of the ear, nose and throat, assist eye surgeons, neurosurgeons and general surgeons in complex cases, check on progress of patients, perform surgeries on voice box and face, and treat hearing disorders.
Q: What is the eligibility for MS in ENT?
A: As a minimum criterion of eligibility, students aspiring to pursue the course need to have completed:
- 10+2 education with Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics as main subjects.
- MBBS from a recognized university.
- A compulsory 1-year rotating internship.
Q: What are the top job profiles in this field?
A: Some of the top job profiles in this field are:
- ENT Specialist
- ENT Assistant
- Medical Scientist
- Research Assistant
Q: What are the top entrances to consider for ENT?
A: Some the top entrances to consider are as follows:
- CMC Vellore
- COMEDK PGET
- NEET PG
Q: Who are the top recruiters in this field?
A: Some of the top recruiters in this field are:
- Max Hospital
- Apollo Hospital
- Jaypee Hospitals
- Columbia Asia
- Fortis Healthcare
- Action Balaji
- Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Hospital
Q: What are the top colleges to consider for ENT?
A: Some of the top colleges to consider are as follows:
- Jawaharlal Institute of Postmedical Graduate Medical Education and Research, Puducherry
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Delhi
- Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh
- Kasturba Medical College, Udipi
- Dayanand Medical College and Hospital, Ludhiana
- M. N. Institute of Medical Science and Research, Haryana
Q: Do they have semester exams or annual exams?
A: They have annual exams that are conducted yearly.