Surgery is a medical specialty that uses operative manual and instrumental techniques on a patient to investigate or treat diseases or injuries, to help improve bodily function or appearance or to repair unwanted ruptured areas. Surgical procedure/operation/surgery is the process of performing surgery. The major role of a surgeon is to provide operative intervention but he/she may also perform other medical procedures like diagnosis, investigation, giving medical care of patients in an emergency. Trainees selecting surgery as a possible career path have to select any one specialty within the surgery.
A general surgeon has specialized knowledge and experience related to the diagnosis, preoperative, operative, and postoperative management, including the management of complications, in nine primary components of surgery, all of which are essential to the education of a broadly based surgeon:
- Alimentary tract
- Abdomen and its contents
- Breast, skin, and soft tissue
- Head and neck, including trauma, vascular, endocrine, congenital and oncologic disorders - particularly tumors of the skin, salivary glands, thyroid, parathyroid, and the oral cavity
- Vascular system, excluding the intracranial vessels and heart
- The endocrine system, including thyroid, parathyroid, adrenal, and endocrine pancreas
- Surgical oncology, including coordinated multimodality management of the cancer patient by screening, surveillance, surgical adjunctive therapy, rehabilitation, and follow-up
- Comprehensive management of trauma, including musculoskeletal, hand, and head injuries. The responsibility for all phases of care of the injured patient is an essential component of general surgery.
- Complete care of critically ill patients with underlying surgical conditions, in the emergency room, intensive care unit, and trauma/burn units
- Candidates should have completed M.B.B.S./B.D.S. from the colleges recognized by the Medical Council/Dental Council of India
- The minimum percentage of marks in the entrance test should be 50% for General and 40% for Reserved Category
|Government Medical organization, Private Medical Organisation, Railways Medical Sector, Medical Research Institution, etc
Top Career/Job Profiles
Good motor skills. Hand-eye coordination, manual dexterity, and attention to detail are all absolute musts for anyone doing small but vital jobs like severing blood vessels, cutting out tumors, or stitching wounds.
- Communication skills.
- Patience and stamina.
Q: What are the responsibilities of a General Surgeon?
A: Examine patients and make diagnoses to determine the need for surgery. Review patient medical history and plan the best procedure for treatment. Prescribe preoperative and postoperative treatment and procedures. Ensure sterility in the operating room, and all equipment and instruments.
Q: Types of the Surgeon?
A: The Indian College of Surgeons recognizes 14 surgical specialties: cardiothoracic surgery, colon, and rectal surgery, general surgery, gynecology and obstetrics, gynecologic oncology, neurological surgery, ophthalmic surgery, oral and maxillofacial surgery, orthopedic surgery, otorhinolaryngology, pediatric surgery, plastic and maxillofacial surgery, urology, and vascular surgery.
Q: What is General Surgery?
A: General Surgery is a medical specialty that uses operative manual and instrumental techniques on a patient to investigate or treat diseases or injuries, to help improve bodily function or appearance or to repair unwanted ruptured areas.
Q: What are the top colleges providing a degree in the field of General Surgery?
A: The top colleges are mentioned below:
Q: Who are the top recruiters in the field of General Surgery?
A: The top recruiters of General Surgery are mentioned below:
- Government Medical organization.
- Private Medical Organization.
- Medical Research Institution
Q: What are the documents required during the admission of General Surgery?
A: Documents required during the admission of General Surgery are:
- Entrance exam scorecard
- 10th and 12th certificate and mark sheets
- BDS degree certificate
- Migration certificate
- Transfer certificate
- Photo ID proof
- Recent photograph
Q: What is the minimum percentage required in BDS to pursue General Surgery?
A: A candidate must score a minimum of 55% in aggregate in his/her BDS degree
Q: What are the job roles I can get after clearing General Surgery?
A: Job roles you can get after passing MDS in periodontology are:
- Critical care
- Upper Gastro-Intestinal Surgeon
Q: What is the average salary I would get after I have completed General Surgery?
A: In general, the average salary ranges from 4 lakhs to 8 lakhs.
Q: What is the course duration of General Surgery?
A: The MDS in Periodontology has a course duration of 3 years