Candidates who are willing to pursue a career in social science, Tata Institute of Social Science (TISS) should definitely be on top of their list. TISS is regarded as India's first school of social work. TISS provides BA, MA, and M.Phil/Ph.D. in various courses on social science in four of its campuses present in Mumbai, Tuljapur, Hyderabad, and Guwahati.
Programs Offered at TISS:
TISS Mumbai currently offers B.A., M.A, M.Phil, Ph.D. and short term programs in the following areas:
- Social Work
- Management and Labour Studies
- Health Systems
- Development Studies
- Habitat Studies
- Disaster Management
- Human Ecology
- Media and Cultural Studies
- Law, Rights and Constitutional Governance
Getting Into TISS
TISS conducts its own entrance tests to provide admission. There are separate entrance exams for each degree.
- For B.A.: TISS Bachelor's Admission Test (TISS-BAT)
- For M.A.: TISS National Entrance Test (TIS-NET)
- For M.Phil./Ph.D.: Research Aptitude Test (RAT)
Read Here, Preparation Tips of TISS NET
- TISS is one of the most disciplined institutions in the country. After completing your study at TISS, you can handle any level of challenge and pressure in your future. The curriculum at TISS focuses on learning and leadership rather than grades. You will get hands-on experience in real-life assignments such as traveling in the city in a group and presenting the experience you witnessed.
- To talk about diversity, TISS, Mumbai is known for its minimal batch of 60 students, where you will find yourself in between students from all over the country with different educational, social, and cultural backgrounds. This eventually helps you develop a wide perspective, empathize with students who are unlike you and make you sensitive to issues that you didn’t know existed.
The placement session of 2019 at TISS, Mumbai concluded with a 100 percent placement record for HRM and LR program. In total, 38 companies visited the campus for recruitment.
|ITC||The Aditya Birla Group|
|Mahindra & Mahindra||Reliance Industries|
- The synergy between teaching, research, field action, and extension has enabled the TISS to continue to shape planning, policy and program formulation, foster critical rethinking, and development of people-centered interventions.
- TISS is the Principal Recipient of the Global Fund for AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria in a countrywide project for capacity-building of higher institutions of learning in HIV/AIDS Counselling. Named Saksham, the project will conduct master training programs and help to build infrastructure to develop the capacities of 40 academic institutions all over the country, which, in turn, will provide supportive supervision and training to 12,000 counselors working in the national HIV/AIDS counseling program. The Global Fund has awarded Saksham an A-1 rating.
- TISS is recognized by the World Health Organisation as a collaborating Centre for Health, Policy Research, and Training. The UNAIDS Centre for Behavioural Research on HIV/AIDS is also located at TISS.
- Along with the International Center for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD), Kathmandu, the TISS established the Himalayan Universities Consortium of 25 universities from the sub-continent, Afghanistan, and China for teaching and research on mountain development and climate change.
- The TISS has become a partner in a Consortium of 12 European Universities and 8 Indian Universities. This Consortium is led by Lund University, Sweden, and has received a grant of 9.6 million Euros for academic exchange under the Erasmus Mundus External Cooperation Window India Lot 15. Under the Grant, TISS faculty members and students will receive fellowships for teaching and research work in various universities across Europe, and TISS will receive scholars and students from European Universities.
- The TISS has established collaborative research and student exchange programs with over 25 universities and consortiums in Africa, Asia, the United States, and Europe.
Milestones Achieved by TISS:
- Since 1936 to 2020 TISS has achieved many things:
- The National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) ranked Tata Institute of Social Sciences 49 overall in India and 32 among universities in India in 2018.
- The Institute is designated as a Curriculum Development Centre for Social Work Education by the UGC.
- Awarded as the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC)a 5-Star rating to the Institute.
- In 2011 The Institute celebrates its Platinum Jubilee. The ambitious and path-breaking Transformation of the M-Ward Project is initiated.