Oral Pathology is the branch in dentistry that deals with the identification, nature and management of different diseases that affects the oral and the maxillofacial regions of a human being. This discipline is concerned with the investigation of the probable causes, processes and effects of such oral diseases.
Microbiology on the other hand is the study of micro-organisms. This subject involves the study of the immune system.
Oral Pathology and Microbiology is a special course of dentistry and deals with the diseases affecting the oral regions of the human beings.
MDS in Oral Pathology and Microbiology
This course is a special branch in dentistry where the students get in-depth knowledge about the nature, causes, effect, characteristics of diseases that affect the oral and maxillofacial regions of human beings. Students will be taught about the structure of the teeth and how to efficiently maintain them. The students are also given training about the different oral diseases, what causes them and the possible ways to treat those diseases.
Institutes offering this course
We have compiled a list of the institutes offering MDS course for the students.
- SRM University Campus, Kattankulathur
- Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Mangalore
- Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
- Jodhpur National University, Jodhpur
- Sharda University, Greater Noida
- Maharishi Markandeshwar University Mullana Campus, Ambala
- Nitte University, Mangalore
- Bharti Vidyapeeth Deemed University, Pune
- MS Ramaiah University of Applied Science, Bangalore
- Pacific University, Udaipur
- NIMS University, Jaipur
- Surendra Group of Institutions, Ganganagar
- Dr. D. Y. Patil Vidyapeeth, Pune
Three years full time course
For applying to MDS in Oral Pathology and Microbiology, the marks secured by a candidate in their Bachelor of Dental Surgery for Oral Pathology and Microbiology or BDS degree is taken into account. The foreign students must register temporarily with the Dental Council of India for the postgraduate training duration.
Admission to the MDS course is based on the marks one secures in BDS exam. However, some institutes also check the performance of the candidate in a common entrance examination that is conducted by the relevant institutes. After the entrance exam, the candidates may also have to appear for counselling and interview for getting selected to the course.
Popular entrance examinations
- NEET MDS: This eligibility-cum-entrance exam is conducted by NBE and is recognized by most of the state dental colleges, private universities, deemed universities and even the private dental colleges.
- All India Postgraduate Dental Entrance Examination (AIPGDEE): This national level entrance exam is conducted by the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi.
- Telangana EAMCET AC: Engineering, Agriculture & Medical Common Entrance Test (TS EAMCET) is conducted by Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad. One needs to qualify in this exam to get admission into various professional courses offered in institutes in Telangana.
- ACDS PG-WAT: Army College of Dental Sciences (ACDS), Secunderabad, conducts the Post Graduate Written Test (PG-WAT) for admission to the MDS courses.
Rs 1 to 6 Lakhs
- Private dental hospitals
- Government dental hospitals
- Lecturer in medical institutes
- Medical departments in Army, Air force or Navy
- Private clinics
- Dental surgeon
- Oral pathologist
- Clinical microbiologist
- Dental assistant
The average annual salary for postgraduates in this field is Rs 7 to 8 lakhs.