GATE 2021 Exam Pattern has been revised and released by IIT Bombay on its official site. Now all the candidates will be able to opt for one and a maximum of two papers. There are also some changes in GATE 2021 mark distribution.
GATE 2021 Exam Pattern- Highlights
|Exam Duration||3 hours (180 minutes)|
|Number of Questions||65|
|Questions Type||There will be two question types:
|Number of sections||Will comprise of total 3 sections except for AR, CY, GG, EY, XL, PH, and MA papers :
General Aptitude, Engineering Mathematics (for XL papers it is Chemistry), and Subject-Specific section
|General Aptitude Section||It Will consist of a compulsory General Aptitude (GA) section constituting 10 questions. 5 of the questions among 10 will carry 1 mark and the rest 5 will carry 2 marks each. Total marks - 15.|
|Marking Scheme||Two types of MCQs:
GATE 2021 exam dates have been announced by IIT Bombay and it is scheduled to be conducted from February 5th to 7th & 12th to 14th 2021. Before starting the preparation, candidates must know the right information about all topics included in the syllabus. After qualifying for the GATE 2021 candidates can take admission in various IITs, NITs to pursue M.Tech.
GATE 2021 Civil Engineering syllabus has three different sections such as General Aptitude, Engineering Mathematics, and Civil Engineering. Engineering Mathematics is one of the most important sections with topics like linear algebra, calculus, probability, etc.
- This year, in GATE 2021 exam the maximum of 72% weightage will be given to the core syllabus and 15% to General Aptitude, and 13% to Engineering Mathematics.
- Candidates will also get an option to opt and sit for two papers.
- Civil Engineering is a professional engineering discipline that deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of the physical & naturally built environment, including works like roads, bridges, canals, dams, and buildings.
What are the changes in the syllabus for Civil Engineering?
- Maclaurin series; Stokes, Gauss and Green’s theorems
- Laplace transform and its application in solving linear ODEs
- Hypothesis testing
- Least square approximation
- Linear Regression
- Euler’s equations of motion;
- Energy methods;
- Principles of virtual work.
- Free Vibrations of undamped SDOF system.
- Theories of Failure
Construction Materials and Management:
- Bricks and mortar;
- Ultimate load design concepts
- Analysis of beam sections at transfer and service loads
Fluid Mechanics and Hydraulics:
- Kinematics of flow
- Velocity triangles;
- Basics of hydraulic machines
- Specific speed of pumps and turbines
- Noise Pollution: Impacts of noise, permissible limits of noise pollution, measurement of noise, and control of noise pollution.
- Transportation Engineering:
- Highway alignment and engineering surveys
- Level of service of rural highways and urban roads
GATE 2021 Syllabus of Civil Engineering
Here is the detailed syllabus of the GATE Civil engineering Syllabus which consists of 7 sections namely:
Section 1 – Engineering Mathematics
|Section 1||Linear Algebra|
|Section 3||Ordinary Differential Equation (ODE)|
|Section 4||Partial Differential Equation (PDE)|
|Section 5||Probability and Statistics|
|Section 6||Numerical Methods|
Section 2 – Structural Engineering
|Section 1||Engineering Mechanics|
|Section 2||Solid Mechanics|
|Section 3||Structural Analysis|
|Section 4||Construction Materials and Management|
|Section 5||Concrete Structures|
|Section 6||Steel Structures|
Section 3 – Geomatics Engineering
|Section 1||Soil Mechanics|
|Section 2||Foundation Engineering|
Section 4 – Water Resources Engineering
|Section 1||Fluid Mechanics|
Section 5 – Environmental Engineering
|Section 1||Water and Waste Water|
|Section 2||Air Pollution|
|Section 3||Municipal Solid Wastes|
Section 6 – Transportation Engineering
|Section 1||Transportation Infrastructure|
|Section 2||Traffic Engineering|
|Section 3||Highway Pavements|
Section 7 – Geotechnical Engineering
|Section 1||Principles of surveying; Errors and their adjustment; Maps - scale, coordinate system|
|Section 2||Distance and angle measurement - Levelling and trigonometric leveling; Traversing and triangulation survey|
|Section 3||Total station; Horizontal and vertical curves. Photogrammetry - scale, flying height; Remote sensing - basics, platform and sensors, visual image interpretation; Basics of Geographical information system (GIS) and Geographical Positioning system (GPS).|
Types of Questions Asked in GATE 2021 Civil Engineering Exam
The General Aptitude and Mathematics section in GATE 2021 exam consists of MCQ and numerical type questions. For the MCQ type questions, there will be four available options, among which candidates will have to choose one correct option. For the numerical type questions, the candidates will have to enter the integer value in the space for the answer.
In the GATE 2021 exam, candidates will face the following types of questions in the exam:
Comprehension: This section will consist of fundamental ideas about the Civil Engineering topics from which the candidates will have to draw a simple conclusion.
- Recall: This section will have some formula based questions or facts of various concepts for which the candidates will have to perform one line computations, substituting the relevant formula.
- Application: In this section, candidates will face some logical reasoning or computation based questions.
- Analysis: The candidates will have to analyze the given data in this section to draw a conclusion based on the synthesis.
- Linked Answer Questions: The candidates will have to formulate a problem statement based on which, 2 to 3 linked questions can be answered. These types of questions in this section will fetch 2 marks each.
- Common Data Problems: For This section, various problems will be linked with some common data based on which, there can be a separate and unique solution for each question. These types of questions will consist of 2 marks each.
Let us have a look at the marking pattern for the GATE 2021 exam for Civil Engineering: -
|Course||Subject||Total Questions||Marks Allotted|
|Civil Engineering||General Aptitude||10||15|
|Civil Engineering Subjects||45||17|
There will be an addition of 1 & 2 marks for each correct answer according to the assigned marks and a deduction of 1/3 & 2/3 mark for each incorrect answer according to the assigned marks. There are no negative markings for Numerical Answer Type (NAT) Questions in GATE 2021 Examination.
GATE 2021 Civil Engineering Weightage of Sections:
|Topic||The weightage (Marks)|
|Construction Materials & Management||6|
|Fluid Mechanics & Hydraulics||8|
|Hydrology & Irrigation||5|
|Water & Waste Water||10|