SAT is a standard exam conducted by the College Board and is taken by the students who want to get admission in undergraduate educational institutions in USA. SAT stands for the Scholastic Assessment Test. This was earlier known as the Scholastic Aptitude Test. This exam has been developed with the sole aim of evaluating the verbal, written and mathematical abilities of the students.
The SAT exam constitutes of three main sections. Math, writing and evidence based reading are the three sections. There is also an optional fifty minute essay that one can opt for. The total time for the exam including the essay is 3 hours and 50 minutes. The total number of questions in the exam is 154 without the essay question. The total score for the exam is 1600.
The SAT is divided into various sections like reading, mathematics and writing. The sections are scored on a scale of 200-800point and the maximum score is 1600. There are also additional sub-scores that are reported on a 20-80 scale. The scores show how one student has fared in the exam when compared to the others who have sat for the same test.
What is a Good SAT Score for Colleges?
The average SAT score that is accepted by the colleges is 1000. A score above 1200 is considered a good SAT score. The maximum one can score in the exam is 1600.
As per the College Board, there is no SAT cut-off for the students who want to apply to the colleges and universities. However, the students are expected to fall in a certain score range so that they can become eligible for admission in the top colleges or universities.
SAT 2021 Preparation Tips
For preparing for SAT 2021, one can either do self-study or enrol themselves in coaching classes. If you opt for self stud, then you need to be motivated and have self-discipline so that you can continue with the schedule. However, if you feel that you require a classroom environment, then you can seek professional help. Depending on your style of studying, you can choose the one that suits your need the best.
Preparation Tips for SAT Reading Test
- The students must try to understand the author’s tone when solving the passages. Understanding the tone will help them to understand the meaning well and they will be able to answer the question ably.
- The students must be logical and have good reasoning abilities so that they can read deep within the lines.
- One must try to improve their reading skills by reading popular American passages. This will help to score more.
- One must have a high vocabulary and know how to use certain words and phrases.
Preparation Tips for SAT Writing And Language Test
- One must read passages regularly and increase their vocabulary to score well in this part.
- The student must have good knowledge of English grammar so that they can answer questions that ask them to correct the sentence construction and so on.
- Practising regularly grammar portions will help one to increase their knowledge of English grammar.
Preparation Tips for SAT Math Test
- To do well in this part of the exam, the student must work well on areas like problem solving, algebraic questions, and so on.
- The students must have a clear idea of the different concepts of mathematics and how they are applied in the day to day world.
- One must practice SAT math practice tests to get an idea of their strengths and weaknesses. This will also help them to have a good idea about the mathematical concepts, operations.
- One must also know how and when to use the calculator during the exam.
Keeping these details in mind will help one to approach the exam in a better manner and also score well.