The word anaesthesia is means hurt without sensation .It is derived from two Greek words an and esthesia.Its a feeling of unconciosness in a body part or the whole body during a major or a minor operation respectively. An anesthesiologist is a board-certified physician who has attained either a doctor of medicine (MD) or doctor osteopathic medicine (DO) degree and chosen to specialize in the field of anesthesiology.
Anesthesiologists are an integral part of the surgical team surgeons
- Surgical assistants
- surgical technologis
A day in the life of an anaesthetist:
- See patients preoperatively for morning gynaecology list. Prepare drugs and check anaesthetic machine
- Weekly anaesthetic audit meeting discussing critical incidents and any problems within the department
- Knife to skin on first gynaecology patient. We have two laparoscopies and four hysteroscopies. Assess novice year 1 specialist trainee for initial assessment of competencies for general anaesthesia
- Lunch break in department, reviewing patient notes for urology list next week. One patient has severe sleep apnoea. Book a bed for him on the high dependency unit
- See elective caesarean patients preoperatively
- Site a combined spinal epidural for first elective case
- Attend afternoon ICU ward round as on-call tonight. Quick check in theatres to see cases going on. Go home
- Students have to qualify 10+2 examination with Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics.
- After 10+2, students have to pass the MBBS degree from a recognized university.
- After completing the MBBS degree, students can apply for the postgraduate programme in Anesthesia.
Top Medical colleges of India that offers Anesthesia:
- Agartala Government Medical College, Agartala
- Aligarh Muslim University, UP
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
- Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre, Kochi
- Armed Forces Medical College, Pune
- Doctor of Medicine (MD) in Anesthesia
- Doctor of Medicine (MD) in Anesthesiology
- Post Graduate Diploma in Anesthesia: The duration of this programme is two years.
Job Skills & Qualifications Reqiured:
- Must have a doctor of Medicine degree with anesthesiology residency
- Should have minimum of 3 years of experience as anesthesiologist
- Need to be board certified in anesthesiology
- Perfectly skilled at epidurals, spinals and ultrasound-guided regional anesthesia
- Should possess the ability to stand for long periods of time
Read, Career Opportunity in perfusion technology in India
In India, as an Anesthesiologist,at tge starting of the career one will get 20,000 to 30,000 per month
- Anesthesiologist Assistant
- Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists
- Anesthesia Technician
- Medical Consultant
- Clinical Associate
- Associate Consultant
- Career in Anesthesiology is one of the most useful areas in the field of healthcare.
- There are many job opportunities for the Anesthesiologist. They will get the employment in medical universities or schools, public sectors, outpatient care center, specialty hospital, offices of physicians.
- The role of an anesthesiologist is very important during the operations since any allergic reactions may occur in the patient’s body due to the effect of anesthesia.
- The duty of the anesthesiologist is to keep an eye on the breathing, blood pressure & heart rate of the patient.
- You can also work as a volunteer in any local hospitals or at a health care clinic to gain experience. The requirement of Anesthesiologists is increasing not only in India but also in foreign countries. Other opportunities may exist in military, research field, etc.
Read, Career Prospects beyond Medical and Engineering