What are Architectural studies?
Architecture means the art and science of designing buildings and structures. This may include any urban design, historical design, any environment, structure or object or town planning, landscape, furniture or any objects. So the study of these is known as Architectural Studies, which includes coursework such as computer-aided design, drafting, history and geology of architecture. It is a profession which involves a combination of innovative thinking, practical skills, and expertise in technological things. So if have a creative mind and have an interest in artistic things also have a good bond with maths and geometry then you must definitely try for Architecture.
As a Career:
A career in architecture includes everything that involves shaping the environment in which we stay. The way everything I planned, designed, made, used, maintained and developed. Architects can be commissioned to design anything starting from a single room to big complex buildings. As day by day, the demand for architecture is increasing in every field, choosing this as a career would fetch you with lots of money and a good income. As architects are not confined only to buildings but also different occupations ranging from property planning, urban development, interior designing, furniture designing, disaster relief and many more.
After 10th class, one can take up any stream be it science, commerce or humanities but should have mathematics as a subject compulsorily with at least 50% aggregate marks. A strong background in mathematics is necessary, whatever the stream may be. Usually, a candidate with a strong background in Physics and Mathematics is better suited for the job as in includes designing complex structures, building economies and also cost estimations.
How to get into this stream?
There are two major entrance tests for admission in colleges with courses in architecture:
E.E Main (Paper 2) – an All India entrance exam for B.Arch. courses in various Architecture colleges in India.
It includes 2 parts:
- Part 1 (Objects, Texture, Visualizing, Mathematical Ability etc
- Part 2 (3-D perception)
It allows you to apply for B.Arch. in NITs and SPAs
- JEE Main (Paper 1) - The Paper 1 part of the JEE Main is generally for B.Tech/ E aspirants. However, if you clear JEE Main (Paper 1) and then clear JEE advanced, you may get admitted to IIT Roorkee or IIT Kharagpur.
- National Aptitude Test for Architecture (NATA) - is a test of 200 marks and you need to get at least 80 marks to pass. The score is calculated by the admitting colleges by adding 50% of your Board marks and 50% of your NATA marks.
Best Colleges for Architecture in India:
- School Of Planning And Architecture, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirapalli
Your work as an Architect Designer:
As an Architect you need to do different kinds of task on a particular day:
- Prepare raw sketches and present them to your clients and co-workers.
- Discuss in details about objectives, requirements, and budget of a project with the eventual client.
- Provide various predesign services which may include conducting feasibility and environmental impact studies, selecting a site, or specifying the requirements the design must meet
- Develop final construction plans including aesthetics and details.
- Follow building codes, zoning laws, fire regulations, and other ordinances.
- Keep on the continuous practice of reviewing the planning process and suggesting modifications.
Salary Structure :
A Design architect earns an average of Rs 365,894 per year. The scene of Architecture in India is rather morbid but is picking up the pace with increasing modernization and advancement. With dwindling infrastructure, there will be an enormous demand for Architects in the near future. Hence, Architectural work has a great demand in the nearby future. Architects can work with construction companies where they are asked to work as a designer. Nowadays this stream has such high demands that sop, architects even work independently and earn their livelihood.
A career in architecture has lots of scopes and is an enchanting work, highly- paying has lots of potential growth. You can get an ample number of career opportunities as an architectural designer.
Read More here: Choose the Career which Fascinates You Not the Other which Claims to Have More Scope!!
Read More here: Give Wings To Your Creativity With Designing Careers