The University of Petroleum and Energy Studies (UPES) is a private multi-disciplinary university located in Dehradun. The University is approved by the University Grants Commission (UGC) and is accredited with Grade ‘B’ by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC). UPES is a member of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU). Along with all the accreditations and memberships, the University is also accredited by several other bodies, including the International Accreditation Council for Business Education (IACBE), the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR), and DNV and the International Association of Universities, etc.
|University Type||State University|
|Approving Authority||BCI, NAACUGC, AIU|
|Entrance Exam Accepted||National: CAT/ MAT/ CMAT/ GMAT/ NMAT/ JEE Main/ CLAT AIR/ UCEED
University: UPESEAT/ ULSAT/ UPES/ UPESMET/ UPESDAT
|Courses Offered||UG, PG & Ph.D|
|Application Fees||INR 1,350|
|Top Recruiters||Accenture, AIS, Xebia, Exxon Mobil, Hilti, Honeywell, Dell R&D, Nestle, L&T Infotech, Maruti, Philips Carbon Black, Reliance Industries, Tata Technologies|
|Admission Helpdesk||(+91) 8171979021, 22, 23,|
|Address||P.O. Kandoli Via-Prem Nagar,
Courses Offered In UPES University:
There are various UG, PG, and Doctoral disciplines offered by UPES. The table below is showing the details for the same:
|Engineering||B.Tech, B.Tech (H)|
|Science||B.Sc (H), B.Sc|
|Law||B.A LL.B (H), B.Com LL.B (H), BBA LL.B (H), B.Tech LL.B (H), B.Sc LLB (H)|
|Arts||BA, BA (with IAS preparation policy), BA Events, PR and Corporate Communications|
|MA, MA (Economics)|
- University of Petroleum and Energy Studies (UPES) conducts the admission process every year via online mode. In the academic year of 2021, the admission process ended in February.
- For admission to UPES, the interested candidates can apply directly from the official website. Along with the online application, UPES also provides international admissions.
- The University conducts its own entrance test and the candidates are offered seats based on the UPES Cut Off.
According to the courses, the eligibility criteria of the UPES vary. The minimum eligibility criteria for all the courses are tabulated below:
|B.Tech/ B.Tech [Hons.]||
|BA / B.Com [Hons.]||
|B.Sc||The candidate must have passed 10th and 12th with Physics/ Chemistry/ Biology/ Maths and English as primary subjects.|
|LLM||Candidates must have scored a minimum of 50% in aggregate at 10th as well as 12th level and LLB Degree|
University Of Petroleum And Energy Studies Rankings
- UPES, Dehradun is ranked as the 66th MBA institution and 167th institution for the B.tech program by the NIRF 2020 rankings.
- UPES was awarded as Higher Education Excellence Award 2018 for the Best Industry-Academic Partnership by India Today TV.
- UPES has also bagged India’s Best University for Innovation and value-based Education award by the Corporate Council for Leadership and Awareness (CCLA).
- In the year 2018, UPES was given the Best Academic Industry Interface by DNA (a leading Indian Media House).
Collaborations of UPES:
UPES has several collaborations with several top national as well as international organizations to facilitate industry-immersion to the students. It is the world's first University to partner with IBM to co-brand 16 cutting-edge specialized programs through joint establishment with the Centre of Information Technology. UPES has also collaborated with several other organizations such as;
- Microsoft: This collaboration offers various courses like B.Tech, M.Tech in Electronics, Computer Science, BPharm, BSc Nutrition, MBA Analytics, BDes, and MDes (Design).
- CISCO: University offers BTech Electronics and Communication Engineering programs in collaboration with CISCO.
- Wockhardt: This Global pharmaceutical and biotechnology company offers a BPharm program in collaboration with UPES.
- Oracle: UPES and Oracle have entered into a partnership to introduce a Workforce Development Program (WDP) which is integrated into UPES' existing BCA and BTech programs.
- BSE Institute: UPES has signed an MoU with the BSE institute to offer several courses in Finance & Accounting and Corporate Finance sectors.
UPES also offers some international opportunities like student exchange programs or internship programs in collaboration with several foreign universities/ institutes or organizations. Some of the collaboration partners of UPES are mentioned below:
- University of California
- UC Riverside
- Taylor’s University
- Coventry University
- Universiti Teknologi PETRONA
- Adelaide University, Australia
- University of Calgary
- University of Essex
- Indo French Academic Alliance
- London School of Business
- The University also offers several other scholarships for UG and PG students. Details regarding the same are mentioned below:
- Scholarship for BDes students: BDes students of UPES are awarded a scholarship based on their Class 10th and 12th aggregate marks. Candidates, who have secured at least 80% in aggregate at the 10th and 12th level, may get a tuition fee waiver of 50% for the first semester.
- Scholarship for BPharm, DPharm, BSc (Hons), BCA, BCom, BSc, and BBA students: Students with at least 75% in class 10th and 12th are awarded a scholarship which will facilitate a tuition fee waiver of 50%.
- Scholarship for MSc (Hons), MDes, and MA students: A reduction of 50% in tuition fee is given to the candidates who have secured 60% marks in aggregate at Class 10, Class 12, and graduation.
- Scholarship for LLM students: LLM students are awarded a scholarship basing on the marks secured in Class 10, Class 12, and graduation exams. The candidates, who have secured an aggregate of 75% in Class 10, Class 12 and graduation, can get a reduction of 50% tuition fee for the first semester.
- Scholarship for Uttarakhand State Board toppers. BBA, BTech, BA LLB (Hons), BBA LLB (Hons), and BCom LLB (Hons) students, who have secured 80% in an aggregate at 10th and 12th level with PCM in the Uttarakhand State Board are awarded this scholarship. Generally, this scholarship is given to 150 toppers of the UK State Board. Under this scholarship, 25% of tuition is reduced for boys and 35 percent for girls in the first year.
- Domicile Benefits: UPES provides a 33% concession on the Tuition Fee for Uttarakhand domicile students on merit-cum-means basis after fulfilling all the conditions.
- The student’s gross annual family income should not exceed INR 8 lakhs.
- The student should submit all the necessary documents attesting to this fact.
- The student should have a valid 'Sthai Niwas Praman Patra'/'Mool Nivas Praman Patra'/'Adhiwas Niwas Braman Patra' from Uttarakhand state.
UPES offers placements under various sectors, including Consulting, E-Commerce, IT & Software, BFSI, and more. According to the recent survey in 2020, a total of 94% of students until December, and the drive was conducted till March 2021. Apart from these placements, UPES also offers summer internships to all UG and PG students
The table below represents the UPES placement statistics till December 2020:
|Highest CTC||Rs 45 LPA|
UPES School of Computer Science and School of Design recorded a 100% placement rate for both the academic year of 2019 and 2020. On the other hand, UPES School of Law and School of Business have seen a slight drop in placements by 1.95% and 12.12%, respectively. The graph below represents the placement rate of UPES during 2019 and 2020:
Other Facilities Offered at University of Petroleum and Energy Studies:
It is also very important for a candidate to get an overall idea about the infrastructure and facilities provided by an institute before choosing for admissions. Comparing several aspects, the infrastructure and facilities are the major deciding factor for selecting a college. Students focus more on the essential facilities such as smart classrooms, spacious rooms, etc.
The location of the UPES campus is adjacent to the Himalayas which gives a serene atmosphere. The infrastructure of UPES Dehradun includes food courts, labs, medical facilities library, etc. There is a food court in UPES that caters to the food requirement of the students. The UPES infrastructure and facility details are listed below:
- Lush Green UPES Dehradun campus – Though the UPES campus is located adjacent to the Himalayas, students experience a fresh and clean surrounding that spreads positivity.
- Well-Equipped Campus – In this techy world, UPES University serves all the necessary facilities like computer systems and internet connectivity.
- Clean and safe water facility – UPES cleaning department always ensures the university hygiene and cleanliness. There are also water coolers and purifiers.
- Comfortable Residential Facilities – You will get affordable and comfortable accommodation at the University of Petroleum and Energy Studies which adds more value.
- Library - UPES library offers a platform to help students to sharpen their knowledge and upgrade their IQ level.
- Food Courts - A balanced diet is important as the basic need of the students for exploring their brains. The food court at UPES is the place to relax and get the appetite for all.
- CCTV cameras and guards – UPES has a tight Safety and security concern through CCTV and cameras which is the basis of carefree student life.
- Ambulance Facility – There is a 24-hour medical facility for students at UPES Dehradun so that treatment is served instantly whenever required.
- Hostel Facilities: There are separate hostels with all the modern facilities for Boys and girls.
- Gym: “Health is Wealth”. For a good healthy life of the students, there is a gym where the students exercise.
- Chemistry Labs – Some completely equipped chemistry laboratories of the UPES will lead you to the depth of practical knowledge of the subject.
- Design Labs – The design laboratory has been the center of attraction for students. UPES has a contemporary design lab for UPES School of Design students.
- Prototyping/ 3D Modeling - In a world full of multi-dimensional developments; 3-dimensional understanding is a must. It adds to the level of knowledge of the students.
Read also : University of Petroleum and Energy Studies (UPES) Admission procedure, Placement details, Courses and Fees