Entomology is the study of insects and related organisms. Insects play a huge part in agricultural processes. The study of involvement and implications of insects on Agriculture is called Agricultural Entomology. Insects have different types of interactions with humans, crops, and other life forms on the planet. They are both beneficial and harmful. They damage crops, ornamental plants, transmit diseases, etc. This course imparts knowledge to students about the effects of Entomology towards the ecosystem.
What you will focus on?
- Interaction with plants and insects
- Effect of Entomology on ecosystem
- Understanding land quality
- Effects of insecticides and pesticides on crops
- How insects control biological conditions and pollination
|Course Name||Agriculture Entomology|
B.Sc. in Agricultural Entomology
M.Sc. in Agricultural Entomology
B.Sc: 3 years
M.Sc: 2 years
|Examination Type||Semester Type|
B.Sc. in Agricultural Entomology:
M.Sc. in Agricultural Entomology:
|Top Recruiters||Agriculture Departments, Forensic Labs, Defence Services, Laboratories, Academic Institutes, Defense Services, Forest Departments, Private Clinics|
|Top Career/Job Profiles||Research Associate, Junior Research Fellow, Entomologist, Forensic Entomologist, Associate Professor, Survey Entomologist|
Candidates can pursue various courses in Agriculture Entomology at many top institutes of India. A few of those institute names are mentioned below:
- Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI), Delhi
- Acharya N.G. Ranga Agricultural University (ANGRAU), Hyderabad
- Maharana Pratap University of Agriculture and Technology
- Dr. Rajendra Prasad Central Agricultural University
- Punjab Agricultural University
- Govind Ballabh Pant University of Agriculture and Technology
- University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad
- Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel University of Agriculture and Technology, Uttar Pradesh
- Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology
Candidates who want to pursue a career in Agricultural Entomology need to check the eligibility criteria before applying to an entrance exam or to a college. Many institutes accept candidates based on the score of a particular entrance exam, while other institutes accept candidates on merit basis. The table mentioned below provides information regarding eligibility for B.Sc and M.Sc in Agriculture Entomology.
|B.Sc. in Agricultural Entomology||3 years||
||ICAR AIEEA, JEE Main|
|M.Sc. in Agricultural Entomology||2 years||
For B.Sc. in Agricultural Entomology
The following subjects are in the syllabus of B.Sc. in Agricultural Entomology:
|The Insects||Principles of Entomology|
|Insect Field Biology||Biology & Identification of Urban Pests|
|Principles of Urban Pest Management||Tree & Shrub Insects|
|Tropical Horticultural Entomology||Insect Classification|
|Social Insects||Medical & Veterinary Entomology|
|Principles of Nematology||Fundamentals of Pest Management|
|Urban Vertebrate Pest Management: Rodents, Birds & Wildlife||-|
For M.Sc. in Agricultural Entomology:
Master of Science (M.Sc) is for 2 years with 4 semesters. The syllabus includes:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Insect Ecology||Insect Pathology|
|Principles of Taxonomy||Toxicology of Insecticides|
|Insect Morphology||Classification of Insects|
|Biological Control of Crop Pests and Weeds||Principles of Integrated Pest Management|
|Insect Anatomy, Physiology, and Nutrition||Plant Resistance to Insects|
|Storage Entomology||Insect Vectors of Plant Viruses and Other Pathogens|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Pests of Horticultural and Plantation Crops||Vertebrate Pest Management|
|Pests of Field Crops||Soil Arthropods and Their Management|
|General Acarology||Techniques in Plant Protection|
In Agriculture Entomology there are two courses, B.Sc, and M.Sc. To get admitted into these courses, candidates have to apply to their respective colleges that provide these courses. While many colleges provide admission through entrance exams, there are colleges that give admission through merit list or marks secured in its equivalent qualifying degree. For B.Sc in Agriculture Entomology there are entrances such as JEE Main, ICAR AIEEA, etc. For M.Sc in Agriculture Entomology candidates can give entrance such as GATE to get admission.
The skills required for the course study of Agriculture Entomology are:
- High Analytical, and scientific aptitude skills.
- Problem-solving abilities.
- Interest in the Entomology.
- Good communication
- Good Research Skills
- Organizational skills
- Collect information in an organized and timely manner and analyze data
- Acquire basic knowledge of the principles and practices
- Formulate hypotheses and interpret data in the plant sciences
Global Average salary
Growth rate of the job
Average salary in India
4 - 6 Lakh Rupees per Annum
- Minimum Qualification: Should have completed 10, +2 from a recognized board with the compulsory subject of Physics, Chemistry, and one of the subjects among Biology/ Mathematics/ Agriculture/Home Science.
- Exam Date: 16th, 17th, 22nd September 2020
- Minimum Qualification: Should have completed 10, +2 with the compulsory subject of Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics.
- Exam Duration: 3 Hours
- Exam Mode: Online
- Minimum Qualification: Passed a Bachelor's degree in Science (Post-Diploma/ 4-years after 10+2) or currently appearing (4th year) of degree.
- Exam Date: 5, 6, 7, 12, 13, 14 February 2021
- Exam Duration: 3 Hours
- Exam Mode: Online
- Minimum Qualification: For UG - Must have completed 10+2 with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks. For PG - Must have completed Bachelor's Degree with a minimum of 60% aggregate marks.
- Exam Duration: 2 Hours
- Exam Mode: Offline
- Minimum Qualification: The student should have completed 10+2 with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks.
- Exam Duration: 2.5 Hours
- Exam Mode: Offline
Career and Job prospects:
After completing the course in Agriculture Entomology, generally, students engage in research and experiments of land quality, details about crops, fertilizers, insecticides, pesticides quality. They usually work in labs and companies that make fertilizers. Some students also go into the teaching line at top universities and colleges after completing their Masters.
Job Profile and Average Salary:
|Job Profile||Average Salary Per Annum|
|Entomologist||5 - 6 Lakh Rupees|
|Forensic Entomologist||4 - 5 Lakh Rupees|
|Survey Entomologist||3.5 - 4.5 Lakh Rupees|
|Forest Entomologist||3.5 - 4.5 Lakh Rupees|
|Junior Research Fellow||5 - 6 Lakh Rupees|
|Professor||5 - 6 Lakh Rupees|
- Defence Sector
- Forensic Labs
- Biological control base companies
- Fertilizer companies
- Universities or colleges
- Forest departments
- Seed Industry
- Food Industry
- Agrochemical Industry
- JK Agri Genetic
- Bharat Agri
- Gujarat Narmada Valley Fertiliser Company (GNFC)
- Fertilizers and Chemicals Travancore
- Nath Bio-Genes Ltd
- Kaveri Seed Company Ltd
- Raghuvansh Agrofarms Ltd
- HPC Biosciences Ltd
Top Hiring Cities in India:
Q: What is Agriculture Entomology?
A: The study of involvement and implications of insects on Agriculture is called Agricultural Entomology.
Q: What is the minimum qualification required for an M.Sc in Agricultural Entomology?
A: The minimum qualification is mentioned below:
- The student should have a Bachelor’s or equivalent degree in science
- The student should have secure a minimum of 50% aggregate marks
Q: What are the top entrance exams for B.Sc. in Agricultural Entomology?
A: Top entrances that allow admission into B.Sc. in Agricultural Entomology are:
- ICAR AIEEA
Q: What is the average salary of an Agricultural Entomologist?
A: That average salary of an Agricultural Entomologist ranges from 4 - 6 lakh rupees per annum.