Hospital management refers to the management of the hospitals. This helps in providing a direct connection between the health care services and individuals engaged in providing the services. The recent Covid19 pandemic has expanded the career perspective of the hospital management staffers.
Career and Job Prospects
|Education needed||B.Sc. M.Sc, M.Phil or PhD in Hospital Management|
|Job requirements||Management skills, Problem solving skills, Technical skills and effective communication|
|Average salary for fresher||2-4 lakhs per annum|
|Average salary for experienced||5-6 lakhs per annum|
|Job outlook (till 2026)||An approx 20% increase in health management services|
Career opportunities are increasing quickly in this field not only because of the growth in hospital industry but also with the difference in the nature of work in the hospitals. Some of the popular job choices have been mentioned below:
- Healthcare Finance Managers: They basically manage the financial planning and budgeting. They also deal with healthcare finance regulations.
- Hospital administrators: The hospital administrators make sure that all activities of the hospital runs smoothly. They are involved in the recruitment process of nurses, interns and other hospital staffs.
- Health service manager: The job role involves timely deliverance of all healthcare services. They also coordinate with the healthcare institutes.
- Medical Director: They ensure timely treatment and availability of healthcare services to the patients. They also assign work to the medical staffs and take care of the complaints of the patients.
- Blood Bank Administrator: They coordinate with all blood banks and keep an eye on the inventories. They are also involved in storage of blood in the blood bank, its receipt as well as delivery.
Source: Michigan University
There is a great demand for skilled hospital managers outside India. After completing MBA in this field, one can gain experience by working even in local hospitals.
- Columbia Asia Hospital Pvt Ltd
Apart from these companies, the other recruiters include:
- Health insurance companies
- Mental health organizations
- Health agencies, laboratories and clinics
- Medical colleges and institutions
- Public health departments and rehabilitation centers
- National and international healthcare organizations
- Hospital consulting firms