Dermatology is the medical science of diagnosing and treating skin diseases affecting the skin, hair, and nails. It is a specialty with both medical and surgical aspects. The skin is the largest organ in the body and also includes hair, nails, the wet areas of the mouth and genitalia. A dermatologist is a health professional who specializes in the field of dermatology and is involved in the diagnosis and treatment of hair, skin, and nail conditions.
A trained dermatologist may perform skin surgery to prevent or control skin diseases such as skin cancer, to improve the aesthetics of the skin or to diagnose a condition of the skin. Various treatment methods are adopted by Dermatologists to cure diseases related to the human body. A career in Dermatology includes hair transplantation, hair removal using laser technology or by other means, systematic therapy, allergy testing, cosmetic filler injections, phototherapy, laser therapy, etc. They are also responsible for the treatment decisions of various dermatological conditions with many types of therapies, including topical agents, systemic agents, and other therapies.
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), Delhi.
- Christian Medical College (CMC), Vellore.
- Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC), Pune.
- JIPMER College, Puducherry.
- Maulana Azad Medical College (MAMC), Delhi.
- Lady Hardinge Medical College (LHMC), Delhi.
- Madras Medical College, Chennai.
- Grant Medical College, Mumbai.
Areas of Specialization:
- Pediatric Dermatology
- Cosmetic Dermatology
- Photodynamic therapy
- Laser therapy
Courses & Eligibility
|M.D Dermatology||3 years||Candidates having an MBBS degree from an institution recognized by the Medical Council of India (MCI) and one year of internship are eligible.||NEET PG, AIIMS Entrance Exam|
- Apollo Clinic
- Fortis Hospital
- Columbia Asia
- Nova Specialty
- Hiranandani Hospital
- Manipal, Lilavati Hospital & Research Centre
- Tata Memorial Hospital
- Government hospitals
- Private clinics
Eligible candidates seeking admission in this course, are selected on the basis of performance in the MBBS course and entrance exam like NEET PG. Various Institutions conduct their own entrance test for admission in doctoral-level courses.
Subjects taught in Dermatology are:
- Fundamentals of Dermatology
- Skin Diseases
- Nutritional diseases – protein and vitamin deficiencies
- Metabolic disorders
- Allergic disorders
- Genetics and Genodermatoses
- Disorders of Nutrition and Metabolism
- Managerial & leadership qualities
- Warm and approachable personality
- Friendly and confident
- Strong ethics
- Service mentality
- Understanding nature
- Willings to work for long hours
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) Entrance Exam
- National Eligibility cum Entrance Test for Postgraduate (NEET-PG)
- Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research Entrance Exam
- Maharashtra University of Health Sciences Entrance Exam
- NTR University of Health Sciences Entrance Exam
- West Bengal University of Health Sciences Entrance Exam
- SRM University Entrance Exam Entrance Exam
Careers & Job Prospects
Average Salary Per Annum
|Dermatologists||Dermatologists are medical practitioners who specialize in treating conditions of the skin, most commonly acne, sunburn, and skin cancer. Dermatological duties include taking consultations, providing screening tests and undertaking non-invasive surgical procedures.||10 - 12 lakhs|
|Cosmetic Dermatologist||A Cosmetic Dermatologist is a dermatologist that specializes in aesthetic cosmetic issues as well as research. They provide medical and surgical treatments to people with problems such as bacterial or fungal infections, aging, acne, allergic reactions, unwanted hair, benign skin growths, and uneven skin pigmentation.||25 - 30 lakhs|
|Surgical Dermatologist||Surgical Dermatologists deals with the diagnosis and treatment of medically critical and cosmetic conditions of the skin, hair, nails, veins, mucous membranes and adjacent tissues by various surgical, reconstructive, cosmetic and non-surgical methods. The purpose of dermatologic surgery is to repair and/ or improve the function and cosmetic appearance of the skin tissue.||30 - 40 lakhs|
|Medical Dermatologist||A Medical Dermatologist is dedicated to improving the care given to patients whose skin diseases or therapies have substantial systemic consequences, fostering research in medical dermatology, and assuring medical dermatology expertise in community and academic settings.||12 - 15 lakhs|
Q: Can a dermatologist help with acne?
A: Dermatologists can help treat existing acne, prevent new breakouts and reduce your chance of developing scars. If you have questions or concerns about caring for your skin, you should make an appointment to see a dermatologist.
Q: Do dermatologists do surgery?
A: Dermatologists use a range of medical and cosmetic surgical procedures. Many dermatological conditions can be treated with medication and non-invasive therapy, but some require surgical intervention or more invasive treatment. Dermatologists use this procedure to treat sun-damaged skin and some types of acne.