Education is the right for everyone, and it is an essential factor for each human being, be it a girl or a boy. The gender of a child should not determine education and healthcare, yet 130 million girls are out of school universally.
India's steadily declining sex ratio has been related to several causes, but the perceived worth of a girl child is vital. But if girls don't have equal access to education, they can't shine and prove they're worth it. With this in mind, in October 2014, the Indian government launched the 'Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao' program aimed at providing the girl child with health, protection, and proper education. The program, along with funding education, celebrates the girl child, fights bias, and offers equality benefits. To quote Malala Yousafzai (Co-Founder of the Malala Fund).
Know more: How Can Girls Join in Defence? Here is a complete guide for you
However, India's girl child education project faces many challenges. It has been a challenge for ages because many believe girls' education will not add value to world education in the 21st century. Unlike boys, according to myth, girls will often end up in the kitchen.
- Taking care of family and relatives, most women skip their education due to this.
- Approximately 16 million girls between 15 and 19 give birth every year.
What steps can be taken to develop girl child education:
- The adversity committee for girls should be set up in which teachers are responsible for tracking girls' involvement and intervening where appropriate.
- In addition to equal access to achieving gender equality at the school level, equity in the education process needs to be identified. This ensures that both boys and girls will be taught the same curriculum.
- Equity in the course of learning also means that both girls and boys will have the same opportunities and results based solely on their skills and efforts.
- Lack of girl child education is seen mostly in rural areas. In slum areas, Community schools should be established, and school management should belong to the parents and the local community.
Benefits of providing education to girls:
- Educating more girls and women aspires to become leaders and expand leadership and entrepreneurial talent in a country.
- Equal education leads to greater economic equality for women by giving women and men more equal opportunities for jobs.
- Many countries are losing more than $1 billion a year as they struggle to train girls to the same degree as boys. Educating the girl child increases productivity in a country and drive economic growth.
Important of educating a girl child
- A girl child who is well educated is less likely to get married as children and are more likely to have resources for themselves and their families to have a safer and healthier life.
- They will be less exposed to domestic violence and will be more involved in household decision-making.
- More educated girls will have their voices and be less reliant on others to stand for themselves.
Support and respect for the decision of each girl regarding their education are significant. Promoting why education is so relevant today would allow the girls to display their interest further. To help educate girls, child will require their parents to be persuaded. No matter the government has taken several steps in educating the girl child in more numbers better, its an individual's responsibility to extend ones helping hands.
Read more: Women Entrepreneurship: Problems, Importance and Growth