KCET (Karnataka Common Entrance Test Exam) is conducted by the State Government of Karnataka for aspirants who wish to study in various professional colleges of Karnataka. These aspirants can take admission into courses like Medical, Engineering, Architecture, Dental, Naturopathy, Homeopathy, etc. through KCET.
Just like JEE, KCET tests a student’s analytical skills with speed and accuracy. Hence, KCET aspirants must work on their speed and expertise in their selected domains.
|Duration of the exam||3 hours|
|Total number of questions||60 for each paper (total 3 papers)|
|Nature of questions||MCQs|
|Marking||1 mark for correct answer and there is no negative marking|
KCET Preparation Tips:
- Be Familiar with your Paper-Pattern: Being familiar with the paper-pattern is important as it helps you plan your preparation strategies accordingly. KCET is all about objective type questions, which needs to be answered within a prescribed time limit. You can plan out your preparation once you know about these basic facts.
- Planning Your Topics: Planning your KCET schedule is important. Plan all the topics you want to cover in the specified time period. It will help you cover your syllabus in time and also give you enough time for revision.
- Best Study Materials: There is no doubt that the success in KCET and any other competitive exam largely depends on the kind of books or study materials one refers to. Questions are mainly based on 11th and 12th NCERT syllabus. So, one needs to be thorough on these books for fundamentals. One must always consult their seniors or students who have cleared KCET in the past. This will give them an idea of books that they really should refer to.
- Clear Basic Concepts: KCET is not about cramming just anything in your mind for the sake of it. It is important for you to clear your basic concepts. Go deep into all intricacies to understand the topic well. Cover every bit of the syllabus. This will help you in getting a good rank in KCET.
- Practice Hard: Practice problems regularly for easy success in the examination. You should devote equal time to theory and practical questions. Practicing problems every day will help you enhance your accuracy. You can download previous year questions ad practice them as well.
- Speed: Solving 60 questions in 80 minutes is a big deal. In fact, it is not about knowing all the answers. It is actually about a student’s ability to answer a problem accurately in speed. Hence, you must try to attempt 70 questions in 80 minutes in your revision time. This will enable you to tackle 60 questions on the final day quite easily.
- Maintain Notes: It is important to jot down all important points in one place as it saves a lot of time. These notes also prove beneficial during revision. These notes help you to not avoid any important formulae.
- Track your Performance: Tracking your performance is important as it helps you identify your weak areas. Hence, you can work on these particular areas accordingly to score well in the examination.
- Refresh Yourself with Proper Breaks: Spend some time with your family, friends, watch your favourite TV shows, read your favourite books to just break the monotony and improve your efficiency in KCET preparation. You can also practice some sort of meditation or yoga as they help in reducing the stress level. Fresh minds can grasp more and at a higher speed than a stressed mind.
- Keep a Positive Attitude: Keep your attitude always positive during the examination. Don’t lose your heart over small mistakes and keep calm. Try to identify the areas where you commit mistakes and rectify them. A positive attitude is a must to win the race.
KCET Syllabus and Important Topics
You need to cover the whole syllabus before appearing for the exam. However, there are few important topics that can fetch you more marks, which needs to be focused on.
Best Books for KCET 2021 Preparation:
Having the right book is essential to boost preparation. There are many books that are highly recommended by people for candidates who will appear for KCET 2021. Candidates can find the best books for KCET 2021 below:
- 16 Year's Solved Papers Karnataka CET Engineering Entrance by Arihant Publications
- Karnataka CET Explorer - Engineering by MTG Editorial Board
- Textbooks of Class 11 and 12 for Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics - NCERT
- Physics for Karnataka CET and COMEDK
- Physics for Karnataka CET and COMEDK by K. L. Gomber and K. L. Gogia
- Modern’s Abc of Chemistry, Part 1 and part 2 by S.P. Jauhar