Anesthesia Technology is the knowledge of using various equipment used in monitoring the doses of Anesthesia to patients. The word anesthesia is derived from two Greek words, “an” meaning “without” and "esthesis" meaning “sensation”. So Anesthesia means Without Sensation. In B.Sc. in Anesthesia Technology, students are taught the skills and knowledge of techniques, technology, instruments of Anesthesia. Anesthesia is a temporary state of unconsciousness that is done through injection or by inhaling. In this state, a specific part or the whole body is numb, which helps the doctors to carry out surgery more smoothly without any pain or discomfort. It is a 3-year undergraduate (UG) course which is provided by many top Medical Schools in India.
There are 3 kinds of Anesthesia:
- Regional anesthesia: It only makes that individual part of the body unconscious that will undergo an operation.
- Local anesthesia: It is similar to regional anesthesia but it is only applied to a smaller area.
- General anesthesia: It makes the whole body unconscious.
What you will focus on?
- Utilizing drugs that minimize the pain of the patient during surgery
- Checking patients before the surgery to determine appropriate doses
- Dos and Don'ts of the Operation Theatre
- Ensuring the patient's safety
- The curriculum of a Hospital
||Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) in Anesthesia Technology
|Average Course Fee
||25,000 - 50,000 Rupper per year
||12th or equivalent examination in the Science stream with a minimum of 45% marks in PCMB
||Hospitals, Healthcare facilities, Private clinics, etc.
|Top Career/Job Profiles
||Anaesthesia Technician, Medical Consultant, Anesthetist, Anesthesiologist Assistant, Clinical Associate, etc.
Students can pursue B.Sc in Anesthesia Technology at many top colleges in India, a few of which are mentioned below:
To get admission into B.Sc in Anesthesia Technology candidates need to be eligible and apply to the respective college. Mostly the admission is done through a merit basis or university entrance exam.
|B.Sc in Anesthesia Technology
- Candidates should be passed 12th or equivalent from a university.
- Candidates must have a minimum of 45% in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology
- Some colleges also accept Botany/Biochemistry/Zoology/Computer Science as major subjects in 12th
|University Entrance Exams
B.Sc in Anesthesia Technology is a 3 year, 6-semester duration course. The year-wise subjects of the study are mentioned below:
||Anaesthesia Technology: Applied
||Anaesthesia Technology: Advanced
||Medicine Relevant to Anaesthesia Technology
||Anesthesia Technology- Clinical
|Pathology (Clinical Pathology, Hematology and Blood-Banking)
||Communication Skills and Personality Development
||Introduction to Anaesthesia Technology
The admission process of B.Sc in Anesthesia Technology are of two types:
To get admission into B.Sc in Anesthesia Technology, the candidate must complete 10th, +2 in science stream, with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics/Biology as main subjects. Some Indian institutes are providing direct admission through the mark secured in the 12th. Candidates to apply first then the institutes will select the candidates according to their marks. then they call for the counseling.
Through the entrance exam:
Some of the top institutes conduct their own entrance exam. Candidates have to apply to his/her preferred college which provides the course and then according to their rank in the entrance merit list will be prepared. Then according to that merits list the counseling process will be started.
The skills required for a successful career in B.Sc in Anesthesia Technology, are:
- Ability to work long hours, often under pressure.
- Good practical skills
- Ability to solve problems
- Effective decision-making skills
- Leadership and management skills
- Communication skills, compassion, and a good bedside manner
- Operation monitoring
- Analytical ability
Global Average salary
Growth rate of the job
Average salary in India
2 - 3 Lakh Rupees per Annum
Eligible candidates who want to pursue B.Sc in Anesthesia Technology have to apply to their college of choice. These colleges may or may not conduct an entrance exam to provide admission. The entrance exams will be university level. Candidates clearing the cut-off for these exams will be called for the admission process.
Career and Job prospects:
After completing B.Sc in Anesthesia Technology, students may get job opportunities in Hospitals, Clinics, etc. mostly as an Anesthetic Technician. But there are various job roles which an Anesthesia Technology UG student can get into, a few of which are mentioned below:
Job Profile and Average Salary:
||Average Salary Per Annum
||2 - 3 lakh Rupees
||3 - 4 lakh Rupees
||3 - 4 lakh Rupees
||6 - 7 lakh Rupees
||5 - 6 lakh Rupees
- Healthcare Facilities
- Medical Clinics
- Apollo Hospitals
- Fortis Healthcare
- AIIMS Hospitals
- Sri Ramachandra Medical Centre
- Narayana Hrudayalaya Health City
- Lilavati Hospital and Research Centre
- Columbia Asia Hospital
- Kokila Ben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital and Medical Research Centre
- Manipal Hospital
- Max Super Speciality Hospital
Top Hiring Cities in India:
- New Delhi
Q: What is Anesthesia?
A: Anesthesia is derived from two Greek words, “an” meaning “without” and "esthesis" meaning “sensation”. So Anesthesia means Without Sensation
Q: What to Anesthesia Technician Do?
A: Anesthesia Technician is a healthcare worker who assists with the administration and monitoring of anesthesia and has knowledge of anesthesia techniques, instruments, supplies, and technology.
Q: What is the average salary of an Anesthesia Technician?
A: The average salary of an Anesthesia Technician is 2 - 3 lakh rupees per annum.