Mechanical Engineering, the broadest branch of engineering deals with the design and production of tools, its design, working mechanism and principles of its mechanical system. This branch covers the design and construction of the machine and its parts. This involves the design, production, and operation of machines and the parts. This program not only comes about the design and to create new products, but also deals in the development of materials and the ways to deal with the machines.
- The Indian Institute Of Technology, Delhi
- Birla Institute Of Technology and Science, Pilani
- National Institute Of Technologies (NITs)spread in all parts of India
- Indian Institute of Information Technologies (IIIts)spread in all parts of India
- SRM University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- KIIT Bhubaneswar
- Lovely professional university
- Chandigarh University
- Rai University
- School of Engineering and Technology, Suresh Gyan Vihar University
- Shri Ramswaroop Memorial University
- BFIT Group of Institutions
- Amity University, Noida
- Galgotias University
- GD Goenka University
- Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute
|4 years (5 years if the course is of Dual Degree)
|10+2 or Equivalent
|Counseling after clearing entrance test or Direct Admission
Courses & Eligibility
|A minimum of 50% mark in the 10th is required.
|State-Level Entrance Exam
|The candidate must have scored a minimum of 50% mark in 10, +2 in the PCM or Biotechnology stream. A 3-year Diploma holder is also eligible.
|JEE Main, OJEE
|The candidate must have completed B.E or B.Tech in either field of Automobile/ Manufacturing/ Mechanical/ Mechatronics/ Production with an aggregate mark of 50%.
|GATE, SRM JEE
- Tata Motors
- Maruti Suzuki
- Metro Rail Corp.
- Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd.
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL)
- Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL)
Entrance exams like JEE MAINS, BITSAT, UPSEE, VITEEE, SRMJEEE, COMEDK are conducted each year for the admission of various Mechanical Engineering colleges.
The process could be sorted as below :
- A candidate is required to register for these examinations, either on the official site of the institute conducting the examination or on the website of the boards conducting the exams.
- Once this is completed then the aspirant needs to fill in his/her details and attach all his original documents like the mark sheet, a signature sample, photographs etc.
- After all these formalities have been done, the candidate needs to pay the requisite fee ranging as Rs 500 up to Rs 2000/-. Online and offline payment modes are available.
When we consider the broadest of all Engineering disciplines which is Mechanical Engineering, it mostly contains three sections namely Math, Physics, and Chemistry. The core of mechanical engineering provides varying amounts of research and community projects. The subjects included in Mechanical Engineering is as follows:
|Introduction to Computing
|Work shop and Physics Laboratory
|Basic Electronics Laboratory
|Physical Training 1
|Physics Laboratory/ Workshop
|Physical Training 2
|Fluid Mechanics 1
|Manufacturing Technology 1
|Solid Mechanics 1
|Solid Mechanics 2
Kinematics of Machinery
|HSS Elective 1
|HSS Elective 2
|Physical Training 3
|Mechanical lab 1
|Physical Training 4
|Applied Thermodynamics 1
|Manufacturing Technology 2
|Design of Machine Elements
|Heat and Mass Transfer
|HSS Elective 3
|Mechanical Lab 3
|Mechanical Lab 2
|Summer Training (PP/NP)
|Industrial Engineering and Market Research
|Applied Thermodynamics 2
|Dept Elective 3
|Dept Elective 1
|Dept Elective 4
|Dept Elective 2
|HSS Elective 4
|Open Elective 1
|Mechanical Lab 4
- Effective technical skills and materials knowledge.
- Good in handling Thermodynamics and positive attitude to critical thinking and problem-solving.
- Interpersonal and creativity skills, teamworking skills.
Typically they do the following:
- Analyze problems to see how mechanical and thermal equipment to bring out the solution to the problem.
- With the help of analysis and computer-aided design, redesign or alter the mechanical and the thermal devices,
- Develop and test the prototypes of devices, analyze the results and come up with the solution.
The top entrances for the Mechanical Engineering admission process are:
Career and Job Prospects
Average Salary Per Annum
|Industrial engineers develop job evaluation programs, amongst other duties. Industrial engineers find ways to eliminate wastefulness in production processes. They devise efficient systems that integrate workers, machines, materials, information, and energy to make a product or provide a service.
|4 - 5 lakhs
|They are in charge to look over the factory's finances; they execute system a plan and strategy for the factory to be more systematic and organize; factory managers are in charge of interviewing, screening and hiring new workers and employees.
|8 - 10 lakhs
|Design Engineer Manager
|Specific duties of these managers include assessing the feasibility of potential design projects, determining what resources are required to complete them, recruiting and managing employees, and serving as a liaison between team members and upper management.
|5 - 6 lakhs
|Maintenance engineers' work involves checking, repairing and servicing machinery, equipment, systems, and infrastructures. Maintenance engineers ensure that industrial machinery and equipment run smoothly and reliably. Their work typically involves planning and undertaking scheduled maintenance.
|3 - 4 lakhs
|The Project Manager manages key client projects. Project management responsibilities include the coordination and completion of projects on time within budget and within scope. Oversee all aspects of projects. Set deadlines, assign responsibilities and monitor and summarize progress of the project.
|10 - 12 lakhs
|The Safety Officer is responsible for monitoring and assessing hazardous and unsafe situations and developing measures to assure personnel safety. ... The Safety Officer maintains awareness of active and developing situations. The Safety Officer ensures the Site Safety and Health Plan is prepared and implemented.
|2.5 - 3 lakhs
Q: Am I suited to a career in mechanical engineering?
A: If you enjoy creating practical solutions to problems and like turning your ideas into reality, then a career in the field of Mechanical Engineering could be for you. A passion for mathematics and science is important, the diverse nature of mechanical engineering means it’s a good fit for creative people with all sorts of interests.
Q: What is an apprenticeship?
A: Apprenticeships offer an alternative route into mechanical engineering from academic study. These suited people desire to earn and learn at the same time, which takes between one and four years to gain a qualification this way.
Q: Why Mechanical Engineering?
A: Mechanical engineering is one of the oldest branches and referred to as the mother branch of all Engineering. The appealing feature of the branch is that the application base of this branch of this course is wide and diverse. All inventions till date is the direct contribution of one or other application of mechanics, thermodynamics, kinetics, robotics, design, fluid mechanics. Mechanical Engineers is not only Design new mechanical systems but also testing, maintaining and manufacturing them. long story short Mechanical engineering runs Industry.
Q: What are the placement opportunities after completing B.Tech in Mechanical engineering?
A: The opportunities are plenty and unending because of the broadest nature of the field mechanical engineering offer. Mechanical engineers are required to design, test, manufacture, install, operate and maintain a wide array of machines and mechanical systems and hence can find employment both in the government and private sector undertakings. Major industries include automobiles, aeronautical, power, energy and utilities, air conditioning and refrigeration industry, manufacturing plants, oil and gas exploration, refining industries, agricultural sector, shipping industry, banks, insurance, financial institutions, teaching & research.