CAT Quick Preparation Tips for Beginners, Know How to start
As the awaited CAT 2020 entrance exam is announced to be conducted by IIM Indore, so the excitement and nervousness among the students are increasing day by day. However, those candidates who have already appeared in the CAT exam before now must have a basic idea about the pattern and preparation of the exam, but it may be a little difficult for the fresher or beginners who will be appearing CAT 2020 for the first time to understand the CAT preparation strategy.
Here we are sharing some helpful tips for the candidates who are still finding a way to start or who are beginners in this race of cracking CAT 2019. These small tips that have come from the experience of senior students and different CAT experts around the country will help in making the CAT preparation more understandable.
Verbal Ability and Reading comprehension, Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning and Quantitative Ability are the sections that a student have to face in the CAT exam. Each section needs special attention and special preparation so that in the exam day, the candidate can attempt all the sections successfully within time.
Go through the CAT Syllabus, Exam Pattern in Detailed before you start your preparation, to have a clear view of how to start preparing.
Here are the tips for the beginners:
For Quantitative Ability (QA)
1. Speed and accuracy are the two important facts of Quantitative ability. Candidates need to revise properly and maintain the speed and accuracy of the calculation to avoid mistakes and time management problems.
2. As quantitative Ability is the section that is based on mathematics-based questions from various areas like arithmetic, algebra, geometry/mensuration, etc, the practice can make this possible.
3. As the candidate only has 60 minutes to complete 34 questions of QA, so lots of practice is needed that will help in increasing one’s comfort level with as many as chapters possible. Students have to remember all the possible standard properties and formulas.
4. By giving mock tests, the student can catch the procedure of identifying the easier & solvable questions. So students are advised to keep calm, have patience, and don’t be panic.
5. AP/GP, Mean/Median/Mode, Average, Ratio & Proportion, percentage, Equation, in-equation, time-speed-distance, profit, or loss are important topics to focus on.
For Data Interpretation
1. DI that involves a lot of calculations, graphs, charts, etc tests the ability of the candidate to study and analyzing data that is given in the question.
2. There are 32 questions in DI that have to be finished in 60 minutes.It includes vein diagram, routes, and networks, 3-d or spider charts, games and tournaments, etc.
3. Students are advised to attempt the easy questions first out of the 3-4 questions from one chart or vein diagram. It will help in increasing the number of sets attempted using this strategy.
For Verbal Ability
1. This one is considered as the unpredictable section in CAT exam pattern. And the success rate depends on the hold of the candidate on the English language by following vocab books, esoteric articles, etc.
2. Para jumble is a part of DI that has a set of 5 questions that should be rearranged by the candidate to form a meaningful, coherent paragraph in sequence. Deleting the wrong one instead of picking out the right one is the trick here. Deciding the wrong option for answer help in finding the perfect right option. “Mandatory pairs” is an off heard phrase in relation to para jumbles. It helps to spot these pairs of sentences in order to eliminate options.
3. Para jumble-odd sentence out is the type of para jumble where you have to pick the odd sentence from the four alike given options which are generally looking the same. A good way to solve such questions is to try to arrange the sentences into a sequence as you do in the normal para jumble. Try to spot mandatory pairs and eliminate the options. A good way to solve such questions is to try to arrange the sentences into a sequence as you do in the normal para jumble. Try to spot mandatory pairs and eliminate the options.
4. The student has to keep this in mind that the odd one is not always unrelated to the subject. It looks similar. You have to go deeper to understand it’s strategy.
5. The remaining questions include fill in the blanks (based on contextual vocabulary), word usage, Grammar (spot the grammatically correct/incorrect sentence), and Reading comprehension. The vocab based questions and grammar questions require the knowledge of the language.
For Logical Reasoning-
1. The first and foremost suggestion while jumping into the logical reasoning section is to read the question very carefully as because here the words play a vital role that nobody can catch if they do not go through the question properly.
2. Go with the information that is given in the question. Don’t assume things that is not given or not related otherwise it will confuse you later.
3. To choose a valid conclusion if asked for in the question, then try to find out the one conclusion that is driven from the given information. Like that if it asks for an invalid conclusion then choose the one that does not definitely follow from the information.
4. Focus and give attention to words like “all”, “some”, “none”, “other than”, “only”, “unless”, etc in the questions. It plays a critical role. Also pay attention to the negative prefixes like non-, un-, or dis-, If and only if, etc.
5. To make the question easier to understand try to draw diagrams or other schematic notes according to the information given in the question on the rough paper given to support and confirm the thought process of the student. And you can leave a question marked and come back to it later also
These are some CAT preparation tips for beginners to keep in mind which will help them in collecting an idea over the CAT preparation strategy and start the preparation with all good hopes and confidence without being nervous. Practice and hard work should be a continuous factor in the process of preparation.
Read Here, How to score 100 Percentiles in CAT Exam?
Read also : CAT Exam Preparation Strategy: When and How to Start?