With the aim to develop various kinds of resources and come up with ideas for the regulation of Indian Sign Language, The National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) recently collaborated with the Indian Sign Language Research and Training Center (ISLRTC).
Know more: Official Site
What is the importance of sign language in the education system?
Indian Sign Language is used by deaf individuals in India. However, this is not taught at the various deaf schools to the children. Even the teacher training programs also do not motivate teachers to use ISL inclusive teaching methods. There is no method of teaching now which includes using ISL.
The agreement between NCERT and ISLRTC was signed for the upliftment and boosting of the deaf children of the country. This will help in reducing the disparities between the normal and the disabled students in the country.
- With the establishment of ISLRTC, the main aim is planning for the future and also for developing a specially-abled community.
- With the help of this collaboration, Indian Sign Language will be promoted as an educational system for deaf students at different primary and secondary education institutions.
- Collaborating with the different organizations involved with deaf or disabled people for the propagation and promotion of the Indian Sign Language.
- For the collection of the different information pertaining to Sign Language in different parts of the world. The matter collected will be used for enhancing the Indian Sign Language.
- For the training of officials, teachers, community leaders, and common people for proper understanding and better usage of the Indian Sign Language.
- For carrying out different researches by collaborations with foreign universities and institutions for the creation of records pertaining to linguistics.
At the initial stage, the main focus will be on the conversion of the NCERT textbooks, Teachers Handbook, and different study materials of class one to twelve of different subjects of both English and Hindi medium into Indian Sign Language.
Special ink will be used for the purpose of changing the Indian Sign Language into a digital format. This will help one to reach a standard level of education irrespective of his/her disabilities.
Earlier schools neglected those students who have hearing problems. This had a negative impact on the minds of the students. The communication barrier was hard for deaf students to break and receive a proper education.
However, with this initiative, this problem will be minimized and all students irrespective of their disabilities will be able to get the standard level of education.