Birla Institute of Technology & Science, Pilani (BITS Pilani) is the most popular private deemed university which is located in Pilani, India. Its work is always focused on higher education and research in engineering and sciences. After the establishment of a campus in Dubai, it has become the first international deemed university, spearheading in science, engineering, and research with its all 4 campuses and 15 academic departments. The institute offers high-quality learning along with extensive practical knowledge that helps students to develop a broader understanding of their respective fields and attract a better pay package.
BITS Pilani has become a deemed university that was established under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956 on 18th June 1964. Birla Colleges of Humanities, Commerce, Engineering, Pharmacy, and Science were merged to form the Birla Institute of Technology & Science in the year of 1964. It is spread over a vast area that includes, 11,245 square meters (121,040 sq ft) of classrooms and 7,069 square meters (76,090 sq ft) of laboratories.
The major highlights of BITS Pilani are given in the following table:
|Also known as||BITS Pilani|
|Institute type||Private Deemed University|
|Location||Vidya Vihar campus, Rajasthan|
|Campus size||328 acre|
|Affiliated to||ACU, UGC, NAAC, PCI, AIU|
|Ranking||Ranked 30 by NIRF 2020 under Engineering category
Top 10 Engineering Colleges India Today 2020
|Entrance exam accepted||BITSAT|
|Number of courses||35 (including Integrated First Degree and Higher Degree courses)|
|Flagship course||BE (Hons)|
|Top recruiters||Accenture, Axis Bank, Flipkart, etc.|
|Mode of education||Full-time|
|Modes of application||Online|
|Collaboration||Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Boston, USA|
- BITS Pilani was ranked 27th in the overall ranking by the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF), 15th among universities, 30th in the engineering ranking, and 6th in India in the pharmacy ranking.
- BITS were 96th among the BRICS nations in 2019.
- It was ranked 7th by India Today among engineering colleges.
- It stood 6th among the engineering colleges by Outlook India. The Department of Management of BITS, Pilani was ranked 10th among the private management schools in India by Outlook India ranking in 2020.
- It is 7th among engineering colleges by The Week ranking in 2019.
- BITS Pilani was ranked 801–1000 in the QS World University Rankings for 2020.
|QS BRICS Rankings||801-1000|
|India Today (Private Colleges)||2|
|Engineering Institutes Asia Rankings||175|
BITS Pilani Courses Eligibility Criteria:
The Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani offers admission into multiple programs in various streams of education. Each course has different eligibility criteria. BITS Pilani is always admired for giving a bright chance to students who wish to pursue a career in technology and science. The various BITS Pilani courses attract hundreds of big names from the corporate world in the placement drive each year to prove jobs to every student.
The eligibility and other finer details are tabulated here:
|MBA||• The candidate must have completed B.E. / B. Tech. in any stream or an integrated first degree from BITS Pilani, or a Master’s
• Degree (any discipline) from a recognized university.
• A minimum score of 60% aggregate in the qualifying degree.
• A valid CAT / XAT/ GMAT score
FOR FULL-TIME Ph.D. COURSE:
The interested students seeking admission to various courses offered at BITS Pilani must appear for the entrance test, BITSAT. The selection of candidates will depend on their academic performance and the scores in BITSAT.
The admission procedure of BITS Pilani for UG, PG, and Ph.D. programs is explained below.
- Candidates need to appear for the BITSAT entrance exam which is conducted by BITS. The candidates will be provided admissions into BE (Hons) and B.Pharm programs.
- The scores obtained by the candidates in BITSAT and Class 12th will be considered for final selection.
- Apart from this, the institute offers direct admission to top rank holders in the Class 12th exam from all over India irrespective of their BITSAT scores.
- The interested candidates for admission to ME Software Systems and M.Pharm must have their GATE/GPAT scores. Based on the score, the final selection occurs.
- For other PG courses, the institute conducts its own online HD Entrance Exam that is followed by a Group Discussion and Personal Interview (GDPI) round
- The selection to various Ph.D. programs depends upon the candidate’s performance in the latest exam along with their scores in the admission test.
- For the part-time Ph.D. program, candidates need to be experienced people having experience of at least one year in the related domain. For the final admission, the candidate needs to get a No Objection Certificate from their current organization.
Birla Institute of Technology and Science is one of the top engineering colleges in India. BITS Placement cycle holds in two phases; approximately half the final year batch goes in August, and the rest in January.
During the 2020 placement drive, a total of 1498 students were placed achieving 99% of the placements. This academic year 173 students were offered pre-placement offers. The highest CTC was bagged by the MBA department, amounting to INR 45 LPA which is offered by DE Shaw. The average CTC stood at INR 18.05 LPA and the median CTC was INR 15.6 LPA.
Some highlights for the Placement Drive of the year 2020 are mentioned in the table below:
|Percentage of Students Placed||99%|
|Number of Students Placed||1498|
|Highest CTC||INR 45 LPA|
|Average CTC||INR 18.05 LPA|
|Median CTC||INR 15.6 LPA|
Some of the top recruiters are:
- Vakil Mehta Seth(VMS) Consultants
- Pharma Ace Analytics
- GE India
- EXL Services
- JP Morgan & Chase
- Amadeus Labs
- Society Generale
- Futures First
- Credit Suisse
- Grey Orange
- Times Internet
- Media IQ Digital
- Strand Life Science
- Direct I
- Exponentia Datalabs
- Reliance Jio
- L&T Limited
- Tata Steel
- DE Shaw
- Tata Trust
- Aditya Birla Science & Technology
- Rubrik (US)
- Manpower Group
- Afour technologies