Aeronautical Engineering is the branch of engineering dealing with the study and the creation of the advanced technologies in the field of aviation, defense system and the space technology. Aeronautical Engineering includes study and design and the manufacture of the flight-capable machines or the techniques of operation of aircraft, through the application of physics, mathematics and other disciplines. Aeronautical Engineers work on the maintenance of aircraft, specializing in the study in the effects of aircraft on the environment, and potential dangers of the new aircraft technologies or fuel-efficiency. The commercial aviation, defense systems, and space exploration and focus on the design oF aircraft systems(which is also known as avionics) or material research and selection.
Top Colleges In India for Aeronautical Engineering
The topmost colleges who provide the course for the Aeronautical Engineering are:
Areas of Specialization
The areas of specialization or the highlights of the courses for the Aeronautical Engineering are :
- Aerospace Propulsion
- Transportation Systems
- Structural Analysis
- Instrumentation And Communication
- Aircraft Structures and Materials
- Electronic Systems
- Structural Design and Engineering
- Ground Vehicle Systems
- Aerodynamics and Fluid Dynamics
- Navigational Guidance and Control Systems
- Navigational Guidance and Control Systems
Courses & Eligibility
|Diploma||3 years||Candidates should have passed the class the 10th or its equivalent examination with a minimum of 45% marks.||State-level Entrance Exams|
|B.E/B.TECH||4 years||Candidates should have passed 10+2 or equivalent level with a minimum of 60%-70% with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as compulsory subjects.||JEE Main, KITEE, AEEE|
|M.E/M.TECH||2 years||Candidates must have passed B.E/B.TECH in Aeronautical Engineering or similar stream with a minimum mark of 50% (which may differ from university to university)||GATE, TANCET|
Top Recruiting Companies
The top recruiting companies in the course field of Aeronautical Engineering are:
- National Aeronautics Lab
- Air India
Admissions to the process are done through common entrance test based admission process (as seen in various Universities and colleges in the country) as well as merit-based selection process (in select few institutes/colleges).
- Students who have passed their 10+2 or equivalent level examinations with a minimum of 70% marks (relaxable for reserved category students) can make application in colleges offering the course.
- Majority of the Universities/Colleges conduct a common entrance test for admission into B.E courses (like BITS) or take admissions through commonly held entrance exam like JEE Main, UPSEE. Hence students would have to make an application for such exams.
- Students have to qualify these exams (for which they should be eligible to appear) in order to get admission in the course.
- After the conduct of the test, a merit list of finally qualified candidates is prepared and candidates are invited for counseling cum admission process by the respective university or college.
- After counseling cum admission process final allotment of seats to the candidate takes place and the candidate is asked to deposit the fee for the course and register for the respective academic year.
Syllabus of Aeronautical Engineering and Course Description
The syllabus of the course is divided into 8 semesters spread over a span of four years with each year comprising of two semesters and End Semester Exams being held after each semester. The syllabus of the course is divided into various subjects and practical skills that students are taught during the course of their under graduation. The syllabus covers all the aspects related to aeronautical engineering so as to provide a holistic understanding of the subject to the undergraduate students.
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Mathematics 1||Mathematics 2|
|Physics 1||Physics 2|
|Basics of Mechanics||Thermodynamics|
|Civil Engineering Basics||Basics of Electronics Engineering|
|Aeronautics and aviation||Environmental Engineering|
|Communicative English||Practical Lab|
|Mathematics 3||Aircraft Structure 2|
|Aircraft Structure 1||Propulsion system|
|Aircraft Performance||Fundamentals of gas turbine engines|
|Beams and Trusses||Turning Performance study|
|Body Design 1||Body Design 2|
|Principles of Aerodynamics||Drafting Techniques|
|Practical Lab||Practical lab|
|Semester 5||Semester 6|
|Aircraft Stability and Control||Principles of Environmental Science and Engineering|
|Experimental Stress analysis||Professional Ethics|
|Elective 1||Management Science|
|Advanced propulsion techniques||Maintenance of Aircraft 2|
|Missile propulsion||Total Quality Management|
|Control of aircraft||Elective subject 2|
|Maintenance of aircraft 1||Practical Lab|
|Semester 7||Semester 8|
|Safety of aircraft||GPS technologies|
|Emergency operations||Air traffic control|
|Global aviation sector||Personnel management|
|Elective subject 3||Elective 4|
|Minor Project||Major project|
|Practical Lab||Practical Lab|
Aeronautical engineers should have an eye for detail and be good at problem-solving. They should have mathematical precision and computer skills, design skills, and the ability to communicate well. They must have good planning skills and a knack for working under pressure. An aeronautical engineering hopeful ought to be physically fit as there may be a need to frequently work at incredible speed especially in checking and maintenance of aircraft amid turnarounds.
Entrance Examination for Aeronautical Engineering
- Candidates should have passed B.E. or B. Tech. with at least 50% (60% for IITs) marks in aggregate or equivalent CGPA from a recognized university.
- Candidates who have passed B. Tech/B.E. in Aerospace/ Aeronautical/ Avionics/ CSE/ ECE/ Mech/ EEE/ EIE will be preferred for admission.
- Candidates should have appeared for and cleared the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE).
Career & Job Profile
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary Per Annum|
|Professor||A Professor teaches courses in their branch of knowledge. Work with candidates who are considering for a degree or a testament or affirmation or are taking classes to enhance their insight or vocation abilities.||9 - 9.5 lakhs|
|Aerospace Engineer||Aerospace engineers assess the design to see that the items meet engineering standards. Aeronautics engineers design essentially aircraft, shuttle, satellites, missiles, and rockets.||8 - 8.5 lakhs|
|Design Engineer||Design engineers inquire about, research and create thoughts and frameworks for manufacture. They likewise work to enhance the execution and productivity of existing items.||6 lakhs|
|Assistant Instructor||The essential duty of the assistant instructor is to help the teacher accountable for the classroom, the lead teacher.||4 - 4.5 lakhs|
|System Safety Management Engineer||The System Safety Engineer is in charge of arranging, planning, characterizing and verifying. Desired experience with aircraft Electrical or potentially Avionics Systems.||9 - 9.5 lakhs|
Ques: Can we do Aeronautical Engineering after 10th Class?
Ans: After completing your 10th, if you have an aim of becoming Aeronautical engineer then take science in your PU/intermediate with any of these combinations PCMB, PCMC, PCME. After completing your PU/intermediate in any of these science streams you can take any Engineering Entrance Exam you should reach the cutoff for various colleges/ university which you like and then opt for Aeronautical stream as you will.
Ques: What are the best colleges for M.Tech in Aeronautical Engineering?
Ans: Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras, PEC- PEC University of Technology, Indian Institute of Aeronautical Engineering, Dehradun, Institute of Aviation Technology.