Environmental Science and Engineering is a versatile subject that brings ideas based on different sciences as well as fields of engineering to understand the issues of environment and give solutions for these; so that people have access to a pure environment that is suitable for human existence. That’s why opportunities in environmental science and engineering have increased in the last couple of years and the professionals are recruited by companies working in the chemical, geological, petroleum, and mining sectors.
Environmental Science and Engineering Course Highlights:
There are different courses available in the field of Environmental Science and Engineering. Tabulation below shows the brief about Environmental Science and Engineering course:
|Types of Courses||Diploma: Diploma in Environmental Science, Diploma in Environmental Law, Diploma in Environment Protection
UG: Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science, Bachelor of Environmental Management, B.Sc. in Environmental Science & Water Management
PG: Master of Philosophy in Environmental Sciences, Post Graduate Diploma in Environment, M.Sc. in Environmental Management
|Minimum Duration||Diploma: 1 year
UG: 2 – 4 years
PG: 2 - 3 years
|Basic Eligibility||Diploma: Completion of Class 10 from any recognized university/ board.
UG: Completion of Class 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics with at least 50% aggregate marks.
PG: Completion of a Bachelor's degree in environmental engineering.
|Total Fees||Diploma: 30K – 80K
UG:30K – 90K
PG:40K – 1.5 lakhs
|Average Salary||Diploma: 2 LPA – 3 LPA
UG: 3 – 5LPA
PG: 6 – 8 LPA
|Areas of Employment||Environmental Consultancy, Environmental NGO, State, National and International Agencies, Research Lab, Government PSUs, Private Industries, etc.|
|Job Profiles||Environmental Scientist, Environmental Consultant, Environmental Science Manager, Lecturer, Environment Photographer, Environment Journalists, Hydrologist, Director of Waste Management, Agricultural engineer, Biologist, Ecologist, Geologist, etc.|
Environmental Science and Engineering course Eligibility:
The basic eligibility criteria for Environmental Science and Engineering courses differ from college to college with a little modification. Candidates are required to fulfil the common eligibility criteria to get admission into the Environmental Science and Engineering are mentioned below:
- For the diploma course in any environmental science and engineering courses, candidates must pass class 10 from any recognized university/ board.
- Candidates must have completed class 10+2 in science stream with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics/ Biology as core subjects to study Environmental Science and Engineering to get an undergraduate degree.
- A few colleges or universities are there that are conducting entrance tests for which candidates must have at least 50% marks as the prerequisite to appear for the test.
- Candidates should have a bachelor’s degree like B. Tech or B.Sc. in Environmental Science and Engineering with a good score in the entrance tests that appeared for the PG program that is conducted by specific colleges/ universities.
Environmental Science and Engineering Career aspects:
Environmental Science and Engineering have immense scope in India as it is a diverse field and requires people from different backgrounds. A candidate can study the physical, chemical, thermal, biological, radioactive, or even mechanical engineering processes as well as the social, political, and cultural methods which impact the planet. Especially, there is a large requirement of professionals from process engineering, environmental chemistry, water and sewage treatment, waste reduction management, pollution prevention, etc.
- Job opportunities for environmental science and engineering degree holders are bright in govt. organizations such as Water Authority, NGOs, Pollution Control Board, Urban Planning, and ResearchCenters as different government departments are working towards green development.
- It offers a lot of job opportunities for environmental scientists as well as for environmental biologists, environmental engineers, environmental modellers, and environmental journalists.
- After holding a degree in this field a candidate will get a variety of careers to choose from. They can easily work in government and private organizations such as mines, fertilizer plants, textile & dying industries, food processing units, and many other industries.
- There are a few private industries like refineries, food processing industries, fertilizer, and distilleries plants that are also offering various job opportunities for the graduates in this field.
Environmental Science and Engineering Job profiles:
Environmental Science is the branch of study where you can find a number of ways to protect our environment with the reliable usage of resources. A candidate with a degree in environmental science and engineering can apply for several job profiles. Candidates will be eligible to apply for the different job profiles depending on the degree they have. Mentioned below are some of the common taken up job profiles:
|Job Profile||Job Description|
|Environmental Scientist||They are responsible for the research on identifying, controlling, or eliminating sources of pollutants or hazards affecting the environment.|
|Environment Journalists||An environmental journalist deals with the understanding of current environmental concerns, and the ability to communicate information to the public.|
|Director of Waste Management||Their job is to prepare, plan, and implement safe waste disposal strategies, managing budgets, and ensuring that all waste disposal activities in your jurisdiction comply with environmental laws and regulations.|
|Hydrologist||A hydrologist is a scientist who researches the distribution, circulation, and physical properties of the earth's underground and surface waters.|
|Ecologist||Basically, their job role is to survey on ecosystems and evaluate the diversity, and behaviour of the several organisms within them.|