Textile design deals with designing different fabrics and patterns of the fabric piece, which will be used in garments items later. A textile designer understands the fabric and its properties. Their job is to create and design different types of fabrics.
Textile designers work elegantly to design woven or knitted or printed on fabric. They suggest different types of threads and weave them together for a specific look or create a design pattern that embellishes a fabric surface to enhance the look and comfort.
Textile designers also deal with the dyeing method. They use dyes to color the fibers or fabric surfaces to get a desired specific effect.
There are various courses to build a career in textile design.
|Diploma Course||Diploma in Textile Design||1.4 Lakhs – 3.5 Lakhs|
|UG courses||BDes, BSc, BE/ BTech, BA in Textile Design, BFA and BVA||9.1 Lakhs – 20.6 Lakhs|
|PG courses||MDes, MBA/ PGDM, M.Sc, MA, and MFA.||6.2 Lakhs – 8.74 Lakhs|
The table below presents the list of diploma courses in the field of textile design:
|Sl. No.||Course Name||Duration of the Course|
|1||Diploma in Fashion, Textile and Apparel Design||2 years|
|2||Diploma in Apparel Quality Assurance and Compliance||1 year|
|3||Advanced Diploma in Textile Designing||2 years|
|4||Under Graduate Diploma in Textile and Fashion Design||1 year|
|5||Under Graduate Diploma in Textile Design||1 year|
|6||Diploma in Textile Design and Technology||1 year|
|7||Advanced Diploma in Textile Design and Technology||2 years|
|8||Diploma in Textile Designing||1 year|
The table below shows the list of undergraduate courses in the field of Textile Design:
|Sl. No.||Course Name||Duration of the Course|
|1||B.Des in Fashion and Textile Design||4 years|
|2||Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) in Textile Design||3 years|
|3||Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A)||3 years|
|4||B.Sc. in Fashion and Textile Design||3 years|
|5||UG Program in Textile Design||4 years|
|6||Bachelor of Visual Arts (B.V.A)||4 years|
|7||Bachelor of Design (B.Des) in Textile Design||4 years|
Here we represent the list of different PG courses in textile design:
|Sl. No.||Course Name||Duration of the Course|
|1||M.Des. in Textile and Knitwear Design||2 years|
|2||Master of Science (M.Sc). in Apparel and Fashion Design||2 years|
|3||Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Textile Design||2 years|
|4||M.A. Diploma Pathway in Design (Fashion and Textiles)||2 years|
|5||Post Graduate Diploma in Fashion Designing and Boutique Management||2 years|
|6||Master of Design (M.Des) in Textile Design||2 years|
|7||M. Design in Fashion and Textiles||2 years|
|8||Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Textile Design||2 years|
|9||PG Program in Textile Design||2 years|
- Candidates who are eager to start a career in Textile Design from a UG degree course, first need to complete their Class 12th or HSC or 10+2 or any equivalent exam from a recognized board with passing marks.
- The candidates must have secured a minimum of 50% marks in their 10+2 exams if they belong to the general category. There is a relaxation of 5% for the students belonging to the SC/ ST/ OBC category.
- Students from any stream like Humanities or Commerce or Arts or Science are eligible to pursue a course in Textile Design.
- For those, who are opting for the PG level Textile Design course, they must have completed their graduation from any recognized institute.
- In general, most of the colleges conduct their own entrance examination, which consists of two or three tires in order to get admission into a textile design course.
- The candidates need to clear the Design Aptitude Test. This is a common written entrance exam. Then there will be another round for material handling test or a group discussion round.
- Then at the final stage of the admission process, the cream selected students will be invited for the personal interview, where they must showcase their design portfolio that represents their work.
Some of the popular textile design entrance examinations are:
- NIFT Exam-(National Institute of Fashion Technology) This is the entrance exam for admission into UG and PG courses, conducted by the National Institute of Fashion Technology every year.
- SOFT Entrance Exam- School of Fashion Technology conducts this entrance exam for admissions in different courses in fashion.
- AIEED-All India Entrance Examination for Design is a national level entrance exam that is conducted by the Academy of Design to get admission into textile design course.
- NID DAT-National Institute of Design – This is a Designing Aptitude Test conducted by the National Institute of Design.
To join the Textile Design industry and to get wide fame in this industry the candidates need to have a creative personality. They must have the ability to process and imagine different fabrics and weaves.
Candidates willing to pursue a Textile Design career must have the below major skills:
Textile Design Skills
|Have Creative Flair and artistic taste||Knowledge of colors, shades, and tones|
|Good communication skills||Have Originality and innovativeness|
|Be Fashion conscious||Have an eye for detail|
|Have a visual imagination||Good observation skills|
|Have Persuasiveness||Understand the market and customer lifestyle|
|Interest and skill in drawing and illustration||Should be goal-oriented|
|Critical analysis and interpretation of materials||Market-oriented Views|
This industry is facing a growing demand as the world is becoming more fashionable day by day. A student can go for this stream and get himself a job in the process of creating designs for knitted, woven, or printed fabrics.
Some of the popular job profiles that a candidate can go for, after completing a textile design course areas listed below:
Textile Designer: This job profile deals in the process of designing sarees, towels, bed linings, scarfs, towels, etc. Textiles Designers also do the knitting and weaving part during the processing of fabric. They usually develop fabrics, trims, yarns, as well as prints along with the management of the production timeline. They also test and check the quality of the fabric or any finished product. The starting salary of a Textile designer ranges from Rs 25,000 to Rs 30,000.
Embroidery Designer: If you are good at creative skills with a needle, you can get a job as a professional embroiderer or Embroidery designer. There are so many Indian as well as multinational firms, who are hiring candidates for this particular role. Your average annual salary of an Embroidery designer is around Rs 3,60,000.
Design Consultant: A design Consultant is a person who gives advice about the fabrics. They also keep an eye on the weaving style along with the prints or texture on the fabric. The average salary varies from Rs 50,000 to Rs 55,000.
Fabric Resource Manager: This job profile requires an adequate amount of artistic skills as well as knowledge of marketing. Aspirants are usually hired by Fashion Designers or Bedding and Bath Suppliers, Rug Makers, or any Furniture Manufacturers. They deal with the import and export part of the organization. The salary of a resource manager lies between Rs 45,000 to Rs 50,000.
Fabric Analyser: Fabric Analyzers give their reviews review on the fabric and provide information about the quality and design of a particular fabric. Their job is to ensure that the final product is appropriate for use or not. The salary of a Fabric analyzer varies from Rs 55,000 to Rs 65,000 depending upon the qualification and experience.
Top Recruiters in Textile Design Industry:
As we have discussed above, the demand for this industry is growing at a huge pace, there are many front line recruiters to hire Textile Designers.
Listed below are some of the top recruiters in the textile design industry providing great opportunities and good salary to the candidates: -
- Raymond Apparel Ltd
- Silver Spark Apparel Ltd.
- Reid & Taylor
- If you join the Textile industry as a fresher having less than 1 year experience, you can get an average remuneration of Rs. 308,362 per annum. After continuing the work for at least 1 to 4 years, you can earn an average of Rs. 342,781 per annum.
- A five to nine years experienced Textile Designer may expect an average compensation of Rs. 471,414 per annum and for a designer with 10 to 19 years of experience Textile Designer earns an average of Rs. 700,000 per annum.
- For a good package your skills, creativity and your experience plays the most vital role in your salary package. Just like any other sector, with increasing your experience, you will get a hike in your salary structure.
Famous Colleges Offering Textile Design Course:
Are you wondering which college would be the best choice for you to build your career in Textile Design? Here is the list of the top colleges in India:
|Sl. No.||Name of the Institute||Fees (Approx.)|
|1||Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology - KIIT, Bhubaneswar||Rs 80,000 per year|
|2||National Institute of Fashion Technology, Mumbai||Rs 1,109000 per year|
|3||Mahatma Jyoti Rao Phoole University - (MJRP), Jaipur||Rs 50,000 per year|
|4||NIMS University (NIMS), Jaipur||Rs 58,000 per year|
|5||Suresh Gyan Vihar University (SGVU), Jaipur||Rs 1,20,000 - Rs 1,40,000 per year|
|6||International Business School Washington (IBSW), Bangalore||Rs 3,70,000 per year|
|7||Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj University (CSMU), Navi Mumbai||Rs 1,50,000 per year|
|8||National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Delhi||Rs 5,00,000 per year|
|9||National Institute of Design (NID), Ahmedabad||Rs 1,39,000 - Rs 1,47,000 per year|
|10||National Institute of Fashion Technology, Banglore||Rs 7,265,000 – Rs 10,000,000 per year|