Obstetrics and Gynecology are the two surgical–medical specialties dealing with the female reproductive organs in their pregnant and non-pregnant state, respectively, and as such, are often combined to form a single medical specialty and postgraduate training program. The main duties of the gynecologist are diagnosing medical issues, examining patients & cure different illnesses and diseases. You have to treat pregnant women & their newborn child.
Ob-Gyns treat gynecological diseases, infertility, Amenorrhoea (absent menstrual periods), Dysmenorrhoea (painful menstrual periods), hysterectomy, Incontinence of urine, issues related to pregnancy, Infections of the vagina (vaginitis), cervix and uterus (including fungal, bacterial, viral, and protozoal). At the time of emergencies, Obstetricians and Gynecologists have to work for a long time & irregular hours.
Most institutes offering the course admit students based on performance in a relevant entrance test, mostly, NEET PG, often followed by a round of personal interview, wherein their general aptitude for the course is tested. Admission process generally varies across colleges.
Q: What are the career prospects after completing MD in Obstetrics and Gynaecology?
A: Qualified and trained gynecologists are hired across nursing homes, government hospitals, private clinics, pharmaceutical organizations, etc. Successful postgraduates of the course may even choose to pursue private practice, or take up advanced research in the field through courses such as Ph.D. in a given branch of gynecology.
Q: What are the main duties of a gynaecologist?
A: The main duties of the gynecologist are diagnosing medical issues, examining patients & cure the different illness and diseases. You have to treat the pregnant women & its new born child. Gynecologist treats gynaecological diseases, infertility, Amenorrhoea (absent menstrual periods), Dysmenorrhoea (painful menstrual periods), hysterectomy, Incontinence of urine, issues related to pregnancy, Infections of the vagina (vaginitis), cervix and uterus (including fungal, bacterial, viral, and protozoal). At the time of emergencies, you have to work for long time & irregular hours.
Q: What are the top entrances to consider for Gynaecologist?
A: The top entrances to consider are :
- NEET PG
- JIPMER PG
- AIIMS PG
- COMEDK PGET
Q: Can the students avail internship from the college?
A: Yes, one of internship is mandatory for a Gynaecologist.
Q: What are some of the top colleges offering a course on Gynaecologist?
A: Some of the top colleges in this course are:
- Armed Forces Medical College, Pune
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
- Christian Medical College, Vellore
- Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore
- Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi
- Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Puducherry
- Lady Hardinge Medical College, Delhi
- Madras Medical College, Chennai
- Grant Medical College, Mumbai
Q: What are some of the top job profiles in this field?
A: Some of the top job profiles in this field are as follows:
- Obstetrician / Gynaecologist
- General Physician
Q: Who are the top recruiters in this field?
A: Some of the top recruiters in this field are
- Fortis Healthcare
- MAX Healthcare
- Care Hospitals
- Indian Council of Medical Research
- Apollo Hospitals
- Kailash Hospital
- Adecco Hospitals Private Limited
- Jaypee Healthcare Limited
- Meditrina Hospitals Private Limited
Q: What are the essential skills required in this field?
A: Some of the important skills required in this field are:
- Needs to be a quick learner
- Should be able to pick up practical skills fast
- Should be interested in staying u to date about various advancements in the field
- Should always be willing to learn
- Should have good communication and interpersonal skills
- Should have problem- solving and critical thinking skills
- Should be willing to work long hours
- Should work exceptionally well under immense pressure