Career Opportunity in Optometry in India
Optometry is defined as the occupation of measuring eyesight, prescribing corrective lenses, and detecting eye disease.It is the profession of examining people's eyes to find out if they need eyeglasses or medical treatment
The course will enable students to become competent professionals and be part of healthcare team as an Optician, Optometrist, and Ophthalmic Assistants
What is Optometry?
Optometry is a healthcare profession concerned with the eyes and related structures, as well as vision, visual systems, and vision information processing in humans for defects in vision and eye disorders in order to prescribe corrective lenses or other appropriate treatment.
The term optometry is derived from the Greek word ‘optos’ which means eye or vision and ‘metria’ which means measurement. The person who practices optometry is called an optometrist.
A day in the life of a Optometrist
- To perform vision tests and analyze results
- To diagnose sight problems, such as nearsightedness or farsightedness, and eye diseases, such as glaucoma
- To prescribe eyeglasses, contact lenses, and other visual aids, and if state law permits, medications
- To perform minor surgical procedures to correct or treat visual or eye health issues
- To provide treatments such as vision therapy or low-vision rehabilitation
- To provide pre- and postoperative care to patients undergoing eye surgery—for example, examining a patient's eyes the day after surgery
- To evaluate patients for the presence of other diseases and conditions, such as diabetes or hypertension, and refer patients to other healthcare providers as needed
- To promote eye and general health by counseling patients
How to become a optometrist ?
Bachelor's in Optometry:
In order become Optometrists, one has to complete 4 year bachelor degree program, preferably in a relevant field such as biology, chemistry, or physiology. One requires a bachelor’s degree to apply for optometry programs. Optometry programs typically take an additional four years to complete. All optometrists have to pass rigorous nationally administered exams to earn their license to practice
Admission to this course is based on the entrance exam. Many institutions provide admission on the basis of national level entrance examination or state level entrance examination. Some institution offers its own entrance exam.
Candidates get into this course by appearing in the relevant entrance exam followed by group discussion and personal interview. Although there are some institution who provides this course by taking the 12th marks
One has to have qualification in HSC (10+2) from a recognized Board with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as main subjects and with a minimum of 50% marks in aggregate is the minimum criterion of eligibility required to be fulfilled for an aspiring candidate to pursue the course.
Top Colleges in India that provide Optometry:
1.All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)
2.Lotus College of Optometry
3.Elite School of Optometry (ESO)
4.Bharati Vidyapeeth University School of Optometry
5.Sri Prakash Institute of Optometry (Dr.Agarwal's Eye Hospital) (Affiliated to Alagappa University)
6.Vidyasagar College of Optometry & Vision Science
7.Aditya Jyoti Institute of Optometry
8.Bausch & Lomb School of Optometry
9.College of Optometry and Ophthalmic Sciences
10.Lions Arvind Institute of Community Ophthalmology
11.Manipal College of Allied Health Sciences
12.MEH School of Optometry
13.Optometry Research & Training Institute (ORTI)
14.School of Optometry
15.All India Institute of Optometrical Sciences (AIIOS), Kolkata
Read How to crack AIIMS, Click here
Career Prospects :
Aside from career options such as assisting ophthalmic doctors in government hospitals and private clinics, an optometrist can also go for pursuing a private practice. Successful graduates of the course interested in higher studies in the discipline may go for pursuing PhD or M. Sc. in the subject.
1. Appear the entrance tests like JIPMER PG, AIIMS PG, NEET PG for taking admission in MD/MS course.
2. Choose your desired branch Optometry as a specialization in MD/MS.
3. Candidates seeking admission in the doctorate level course, are selected on the basis of performance in the qualifying examination and entrance exam. Various Institutions conduct their own entrance test for admission.
Such graduates can find career options like the ones listed here:
- Assisting ophthalmologists in hospitals/ clinics.
- Practice in optical establishments.
- Run optical shops.
- Offer clinical services to multinationals dealing with the manufacturing and distribution of ophthalmic lenses, contact lenses and ophthalmic instrument.
Key skills for optometrist:
- Should be able to understand mathematical and scientific information
- Need to have the accuracy and attention to detail
- Should have the ability to adapt to new techniques and instruments
- Should be able to maintain concentration for repetitive tasks
- Should have a strong grip in communication
- Should have the ability to put anxious patients at ease
- Must have the ability to explain ideas and instructions to children
- Should have good organisational and administration skills.
Optometry is a subject related to the eye and its phenomenon, so the scope of Optometrist is limited. They basically found jobs in lens industries or hospitals which are as follows:
2. Carl Zeiss
4. Ophthalmic lens industry
5. Government Eye Department
7. Private Eye Department
8. Privates Clinics
Career, Salary and Job Description:
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Salary|
|Optometrist||Optometrists are the independent primary health care providers who specialize in eye care and visual health.Optometrists are medical professionals, but not physicians.They focus on regular vision care and prescribe eyeglasses and contacts. Optometrists examine the internal and external structure of the eyes.||6-9 Lakhs|
|Ophthalmologist ||An ophthalmologist is a physician who specializes in the surgical and medical care of the eye & vision system.Ophthalmologists offer complete eye care services.These include vision services, medical eye care, surgical eye care, diagnosis and treatment of eye. ||3-4 lakhs|
An Optician is an important part of the eye care team, but is not an eye doctor. An optician uses a prescription that is written by an optometrist or an ophthalmologist. An optician is a technician who is trained to design, verify and fit eyeglass lenses and frames, contact lenses, and other devices to correct eyesight.Optician are engaged in academia and lecturing, with some degree of clinical practice/ and or instruction as well. Many teaching opportunities for optometrists are limited to optometry schools, however, there are some institutions (universities, medical centers, and medical schools) that actively seek optometrists to educate students, residents, and staff, primarily in topics of contact lenses and low vision
Career Opportunity in perfusion technology in India
360° view of Optometry: Meaning, Salary, Job prospects