UCEED (Undergraduate Common Entrance Examination for Design) is a 3 hours online examination organized by IIT Bombay every year in the month of January. It is conducted under the guidelines of the UCEED-CEED Implementation Committee to provide admission to eligible candidates in the field of Bachelor of Design (B. Des) programs provided at colleges that are accepting UCEED scores. For each category, admissions in B. Des are done on the basis of merit, and the merit list is based on the scores obtained by students in the written entrance exam.
National Institute of Design (NID) conducts a Design Aptitude Test, through which candidates are shortlisted for admission in undergraduate and postgraduate design courses provided at the several NID campuses. Aspirants need to clear two NID admission tests to be eligible for admission in Bachelor of Design (B. Des) and Master of Design (M. Des) courses provided at their campuses.
This article explains all the details related to the whole format of the respective entrance exams. The details provided here in this article will make you understand that which exam is better.
UCEED vs. NID:
|Exam Name||Undergraduate Common Entrance Examination for Design||National Institute of Design|
|Conducting Authority||Indian Institute of Technology Bombay||National Institute of Design Ahmedabad|
|Exam Level||National Level||National Level|
|Exam Frequency||Once a year||Once a year|
|Number of Stages||3|
|Exam Mode||Online or Computer-based Test mode||Offline|
|Exam Duration||3 hours||3 hours|
|Number of sections||2||2|
UCEED vs. NID Exam Pattern:
It is very much essential for candidates to understand the paper pattern of the exam to know how to prepare for it. There will be two stages in both the UCEED and NID entrance exams, let’s discuss this in detail.
The exam pattern of UCEED 2021 has some changes added to it as per the IIT Bombay announcement. Following are the new exam pattern of UCEED:
The duration of the exam paper is 3 hours and will consist of two parts as Part A and Part B with a total of 300 marks which are both compulsory.
This exam will be a computer-based online test for 240 marks with a duration of 2 hours 30 minutes. In this part of the exam, there will be 3 sections.
- Section 1 – It consists of Numerical Answer Type (NAT) where the answer needs to be entered using a virtual keyboard in the computer screen and there will be no options will be shown for these questions.
- Section 2 – It consists of Multiple Select Questions (MSQ) with one or more correct answers out of the four provided options.
- Section 3 – It consists of Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) with four options out of which only one will be the right answer.
It will be a drawing test for 60 marks that need to be completed in 30 minutes.
- Students will be asked one question focused on testing drawing skills.
- The question will be shown on the computer screen and students will have to draw or answer it on the paper provided.
The NID Exam consists of two stages.
- The first stage is the preliminary exam that has two papers where Paper 1 will have 70 mark questions of objective type and the Paper 2 will have 30 mark questions of subjective type. No negative markings will be there.
- And stage 2 is the main examination that will be for those candidates who got qualified in the 1st stage. This section will have a total of 100 marks that will be based on few practical tests including drawing/ sketching, group discussions, handicraft model as well as some presentations.
UCEED vs. NID Exam Syllabus:
The syllabus of UCEED and NID 2021 is released by the respective conducting body and aspirants should be aware of that and go through the syllabus covered in the entrance examination very well to secure maximum marks. The Tabulation below is the topic-wise syllabus of UCEED and NID 2021:
|UCEED Syllabus||NID Syllabus|
UCEED vs. NID Exam Eligibility:
The conducting authority of the exam has specified the following eligibility criteria for the respective exams. Aspirants need to fulfill the eligibility requirements before applying for the entrance test.
- Candidates from the General/ EWS/ OBC category, should have been born on or after 01 October 1996, and candidates from SC/ ST/ PwD category should have been born on or after 01 October 1991.
- Candidates who have passed their Class 12th or equivalent examination last year OR are appearing for the exams in 2021 fulfill the eligibility criteria of UCEED 2021. Candidates from any streams such as Science, Arts, and Commerce are eligible to apply for the UCEED exam.
- Candidates from General and EWS categories should be up to 20 years of age on or before 30 June 2021. And candidates from OBC/ SC/ ST and PwD reserved category will get a relaxation of 3 years and 5 years respectively.
- Candidates who have passed or currently appearing for the class 12th examination in any streams such as Science, Arts, and Commerce in the year 2020-2021 from any recognized board or its equivalent are eligible for the NID exam.
Both of these exams are considered to be the best when it comes to Design programs. A lot of aspirants appear for these entrance exams every year conducted by the respective institutes. For example, around 5,000 students take the test for a total of 100 B. Des seats at NID whereas UCEED have only 75 seats respectively.
NID offers around 8 design programs that come under Industrial Design, Communication Design & Textile, and Apparel & Lifestyle Accessory Design at its several campuses that are known for providing good placements to its students. Whereas UCEED will have a few options including research, designing, textile designing, etc.
So, students have to make their decision after considering all the factors including the number of seats, fee structure, good education, placement, etc. while appearing for these exams.
Read also : Fashion Designing Career: Why should you go for it?