Events, ceremonies, cultural programs and celebrations are an integral part of the Indian lifestyle. People in India want to live every moment of their life up to its full extent. So, they try to find amusement in every big and small occasion. Earlier, the events used to be organised and managed by all the family or group members together but the growth in disposable income, busy lifestyle, and time constraints that people face these days has resulted into the development of the event planning concept in our country. Nowadays people prefer innovative, theme-based and well-organised functions.
Event planning market:
The primary market for event planning is basically of two types, i.e. social and corporate.
- Social events: Some professionals choose social event planning as their niche because every year tons of couples get married, thousands of new born babies are welcomed and hundreds of pujas and rituals are performed.
- Corporate events: The corporate events include not only companies but also charities and NGOs. They spend thousands on events to increase visibility and reach their target markets. These methods of promotions have become increasingly important to beat their competitors. Similarly, charities and nonprofit organisations host receptions, get-togethers, athletic competitions, workshops, exhibitions and other events to expand their public support base and raise the funds they require.
If you are a beginner or a student who wants to make event management his/her career then this article may take you one step ahead towards your dream.
Choose Your Niche
Without a niche market, it would be hard for the consumer to find you. On the other hand, when you are new to a market you should focus on limited things unless you may lead to failure by messing up everything. The following are the possible niches for social and corporate event planners.
- Birthday parties
- Baby showers
- Social Gathering
- Musical concerts
- Hospitality suites (events held in the “party” room of a retirement home or a business)
- Parties away from home/ destination parties
- Surprise parties
- Progressive parties (tours or scavenger hunts)
- Theme parties
- Jubilee celebration
- Kids’ parties
- Sweet 16 party and many more
- Meetings and conferences
- Company conferences
- Award events
- Promotional shows
- Corporate retreats or picnics
- Education Fairs
- College Events
- Annual days and picnics
- Fashion & Celebrity shows
- Film awards
- Road shows
- T.V. Reality shows
Eligibility to study event management-
The basic qualification to study event management is a graduate degree in any discipline. You must possess certain traits like creativity, marketing skills, organizational skills, networking skills, management skills, and public relations, to excel in this industry.
Top Institutions offering Event Management course-
Very few educational institutions offer professional courses in event management, there is a great dearth of experienced professionals in this field. To fill this gap, the event management business acquires professionals from other vocations too. So, if you are studying event management then you have a bright future ahead. Some top institutions offering event management courses are as follows-
- National Academy of Event Management and Development (NAEMD)
- Indian Institute of Learning and Advanced Development
- EMDI Institute of Media & Communication
- National Institute of Event Management (NIEM)
- Institute of Mass Communication Film & Television Studies
- National Institute of Fashion and Events
- Apeejay Institute of Mass Communication
- National Institute of Event Management
- Amity School of Communication
Courses offered in Event Management in India-
Basically, there are three types of event management courses. Such as-
- DEM (Diploma in Event Management)
Duration: 1 year – part time
Eligibility: HSC (10+2) any discipline
- MBA/PGDM in Event Management & PR
Duration: 2 years – full time
- Professional Certificate in Event Management
Duration: 1 year
Eligibility: 12th pass and above
- Post Graduate Diploma in Advertising, Media & Event Management (PGDAME)
Duration: 2 years – full time
Future Prospects in Event Management-
Nowadays, there is a requirement for an event manager in almost every field like in corporate sector, hotel industry, tourism, fashion industry, film and media industries, social events etc. the talented youngsters can either work as a professional or set up his/her own business. Professionals in this field also get the opportunity to showcase their talent at international levels where delegates from our country participate in cultural festivals and exchange programs, trade shows, conferences, exhibitions, corporate events and so on. A successful event manager can earn in lakhs and cores. So, the demand for creative and talented event managers is never ending.
Read also : Top Management Colleges in India