Biochemical Engineering is a science branch concerned with the research, design and development of unit processes containing biological organisms or substances. It is studied in chemical engineering, biochemistry and cell biology. The goal of this division is to prepare students in science and technology, biochemical engineering, bacterial and enzyme systems. This would involve an understanding of the biological or physiological mechanisms of these processes.
Furthermore, Biochemical Engineering discusses the kinetic model of development, death and metabolism, agitation, oxidation, transport phenomena and technology of enzymes.
Opportunities in biochemical engineering
In the field of biochemical engineering, there are numerous possibilities. The following fields allow a biochemical engineer to find jobs:
- Fabrication firms with textiles
- Business in healthcare
- Industry of paper processing
- Plants for Water Disposal
- Aerospace Enterprises
- Plants for chemicals
- Industries of Food
- Companies of mining engineering
- Companies of petrochemical technology
- Industry Oil and Natural Gas
- Waste Plants Care
- Units in the development of plastic and polymer
Skills and competencies needed for Biochemical Engineering
- A creative perspective
- Teamwork and leadership skills
- Careful analysis and evaluation
- The ability to transform designs into products
- Strong science and mathematics
- The capacity of patient empathy
- Strong technical skills
The planned program is filled with courses varying from molecular biology and genetics to process management and dynamics, from downstream manufacturing to numerous other storage and transport operations. In addition to the required classes, one can select from an impressive set of elective subjects that the department is replete with.
- Molecular Biology
- Animal Biotechnology
- Genetic Engineering
- Chemical and Biochemical reactor design
- Plant biotechnology
- Biotransport processes
- Rheology and polymer processing
Biochemistry and biotechnology has many potential career aspects and is an emerging field. If an individual wishes to continue study, a dual degree is to be expected. This dual degree will involve one year for the students to choose their own path of interest through projects and programmes. The B.Tech programme may be a great option for those who choose to start a career after the degree.