Radiography is a professional course under paramedical science. This course teaches students who are trained to perform diagnostic tests during treatment with the use of radiation. Radiography is a subfield of Medical Science that deals with diagnosing the diseases of the internal and hidden organs of the body using different radiations like X-ray,CT scan (Computer Tomography), Ultrasound (sonography), MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging), Fluoroscopy, Angiography, PET (Positron Emission Tomography), etc. Radiographers operate the patients with the help of radio imaging machines like X-ray and then interpret the results. They also work for the treatment of cancers and tumors withradiation technology. The Radiographers who have also trained to perform the ultrasound are known as sonographers.In common language, Radiography deals with taking images of the internal organs of the human body for diagnosis.
Here are some Radiography courses in all the levels (UG, PG, Certificate)
|B.Sc. (Medical Technology in Radiography)||
M.S. (Radio Diagnosis)
|Diploma in C.T. Scan Technician||Certificate Course in Radiography Technology|
|B.Sc. (Radiography and Imagining Technology)||M.D. (Radiodiagnosis)||Diploma in Medical Radio-Diagnosis - DMRD||Certificate in X-Ray Technology|
|B.Sc. (Radiography)||Master of Surgery in Radio Diagnosis||Diploma in Medical Radiography (X-ray & ECG)||PDCC (Cardiovascular Imaging &Vascular Interventional Radiography)|
|B.Sc. (Radiology and Imaging Technology)||M.D. (Radiography)||Diploma in Medical Radiology & Electro-Therapeutics||PDCC (Diagnostic Neuroradiology)|
|B.Sc. (Radiotherapy Technology)||M.Sc. (Medical Radiation Physics)||Diploma in Medical Radiography Technology||PDCC (Gastro-Radiography)|
|D.N.B. (Radio-Diagnosis)||M.D. (Radiotherapy)||Diploma in Radiographic Technician (DRT)||PDCC (Neuro-Radiography)|
|Post Graduate Diploma in Radiation Therapy Technology||Diploma in Medical Radiotherapy|
|Post Graduate Diploma in Radiography and Imaging Technology||Diploma in Radiography|
|Ph.D. (Neuroimaging and Interventional Radiology)||Diploma in X-Ray Technology|
|Diploma in Radiography Diagnostic|
|Diploma in Radiological Technology (DRT)|
|Diploma in X-Ray Technician|
|Diploma in Radiography & Therapy Technology|
- To apply for this course the candidate must have passed their 10+2 or equivalent with a minimum of 50% marks from any recognized board or university. The course must include mathematics, physics, and chemistry.
- After completing a 10+2 or equivalent course are eligible to apply for undergraduate courses such as B.Sc in Radiography or B.Sc. (Hons.) in Medical Technology in Radiography.
- There is a number of certificate courses and diploma courses in diagnostic Radiography & Radiotherapyare available.
- All the aspirants must satisfy the requisite eligibility criteria set for the radiology courses they opt for.
|Name Of The Course||Eligibility|
|Certificate Course In Radiology||To apply for a Radiology certificate or diploma program after completing class 12th with science.|
|Undergraduate course In Radiology||
|Postgraduate course In Radiology||
Some other specialized fields related to Radiography:-
- Bone Densitometry – As the name suggests, it is used to measure Bone Mineral Density (B.M.C.).
- Basic X-Ray - It uses a small part of the radiation that is used to create pictures of the internal organs of the body.
- CT –it is known as Computed Tomography and it scans a particular body part using cross-sectional x-rays together.
- Mammography - It uses a very low dose of x-rays to produce images of the internal structure of the breast.
- MRI –MRI stands for Magnetic Resonance Imaging. It is a combination of magnetic fields along with radio waves that combine to produce three-dimensional images (3D) of tissues.
- Fluoroscopy - It is an advanced technology that uses x-ray along with a fluorescent screen to get a clear and real-time image of the internal body structures of a patient.
- Angiography - It also comes under the x-ray technology and is used to view the blood profile inside the blood vessels.
- Interventional Radiology - It is a non-surgical treatment that deals with vascular diseases using radiologic technology.
- Cardiovascular Interventional Radiology – It helps to study and diagnose the flow of blood to and from the heart using the imaging techniques under this radiography.
- Demand for Radiographers is increasing significantly as it is the new revolutionary field of medical science. Radiography is being used widely during the medical treatment and diagnosis of a large number of diseases that include cancer, tumors, ulcers, etc. The innovative advanced machines of the medical field require experts in Radiography to handle them properly.
- Due to the hectic butinactive lifestyle, people are suffering from various health issues like tumors, obesity, cancers, etc. So there is vast employment opportunity in the field of Radiography.
- Radiographers are employed in the Ultrasound and X-ray departments of medical institutions. They also work in the diagnostic imaging department, Operating Theaters, intensive care unit, along with other doctors.
- Besides all the options there are also two more options like Nuclear Medicine and Photography.
Here Are Some Job profiles for a Radiographer:
- Radiation Therapy Technologist.
- Therapy Radiographer.
- X-Ray Technicians.
- Radiation Therapy Team Supervisor.
- Radiation Protection Specialists.
- Radiation Therapy Treatment Researcher.
- Radiation Therapy Equipment Sales Representative.
- Radiation Therapy Educator.
Some Employment Organization For Radiographers:
- Nursing Homes.
- Educational Institutes.
- Diagnostic Centers.
- Radiotherapy Research Organizations.
- Radiotherapy Equipment Manufacturers.
The salary that is offered to a radiographer would depend on various factors, like the academic qualifications of the candidate, the area of specialization, experience, etc.
Check out the rough estimation of the annual pay packages of a radiographer in India.
|Qualification||Average Initial Salary (Annual)||Median Salary (Annual)|
|Radiography Certificate||Rs 1,00,000 – Rs 1,25,000||Rs 1,75,000 –Rs 2,50,000|
|B.Sc Radiography||Rs 2,50,000 – Rs 3,45,000||Rs 6,00,000 – Rs 7,75,000|
|PG Diploma in Radiography||Rs 3,45,000 – Rs 5,75,000||Rs 7,25,000 – Rs 9,00,000|