After agriculture, it is the textile industry that has led to the creation of a large number of jobs in India for both skilled and unskilled labour. It is the second-largest employment area in India. The textile industry is primarily concerned with the designing, production, and distribution of cloth and yarn.
Courses in Textile Production
- Bachelor of Design Textile/ Apparel
- Bachelor of Fashion Technology
- B. Sc/ B.A. in Apparel Design and Merchandising
The duration of the courses is 2.5 years to 4 years.
For getting admission in these courses, a candidate needs to have passed their class 12 board exams in any stream (Science/ Commerce/ Humanities) with minimum 60 percent marks (Physics, Chemistry, Biology/ Mathematics) for the general students and 50 percent marks for SC/ ST/PWD candidates. For OBC candidates, it is 55 percent marks.
- Good communication skills
- Analytical skills
- Extremely creative in colors and pattern
- Commercial awareness
The average course fees for these courses range between Rs 3, 00, 000 to 10, 00, 000.
The course can be completed in the regular or distance mode of learning too.
Jobs after completing the course
- Costume designer
- Textiles production manager
- Quality assurance manager of textiles
- Research and development analyst
- Junior textile designer
- Marketing manager
- Supply chain manager
Colleges for textile production courses
- Amity University, Jaipur
- Pearl Academy, Mumbai
- National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad
- Pearl Academy, New Delhi
- International Institute of Fashion Technology, New Delhi
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, New Delhi
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Mumbai
- Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belagavi
Scholarships in textile production
- Pre-matric Scholarship for Students with Disabilities
- Scholarships for Top Class Education for students with disabilities
- Prime Minister's Scholarship Scheme for Central Armed Police Forces And Assam Rifles
- Post Matric Scholarships Scheme for Minorities
- Top Class Education Scheme for SC Students
- National Fellowship and Scholarship for Higher Education of ST Students - Scholarship (Formally Top-Class Education for Schedule Tribe Students)
Where do you find employment?
After you complete the course, you can find employment in different organizations. Some of them are mentioned below:
- Export houses
- Textile mills
- Textile dyeing and printing units
- Design studios
- Fashion garment houses
- Cottage industries
- Small scale industries
- Freelancer for government and private firms
The qualification, work experience, and the area in which one works are important factors to consider when calculating the salary of a person working in this industry. The average salary ranges from Rs 12000 to Rs 30000 per month. However, with more work experience, your earnings increase in the long run.