Pharmaceutical chemistry deals with the composition of drugs and the synthesis of biologically active molecules. Basically, this study is to expand the portfolio of chemical drugs.
Master's degree in Pharmaceutical chemistry offers the study of drugs along with the development process of drugs. Its syllabi include drug discovery, absorption, metabolism, drug delivery, and all the procedures that lead to the synthesis of pharmaceutical drugs. It also involves cures and remedies for disease, analytical techniques that will help to recover, pharmacology, metabolism, quality assurance of any drug, and many more.
Read more: Pharmacy Career and Job Prospects in India
Pharmaceutical chemistry projects a career in the field of drug development, pharmaceutical researches, biotechnology, etc. Students pursuing this course can contribute their part to life-saving remedies, enhance the speed of delivery of new medications, and also can help others in the field of health.
Why Study MSc Pharmaceutical Chemistry?
- Students who have a fascination to be a part of this field of Pharmaceuticals Chemistry by doing this course will get a great horizon of knowledge about the pharmaceutical products through which they can invent revolutionary drug by using pharmaceutical chemistry.
- During their courses, students get enough knowledge about the principles and applications of both natural and synthetic chemistry.
- Mainly, it provides advanced knowledge in modern synthetic chemistryalong with several related areas of the drug discovery, development, design along with the process for manufacturing of the drugs for prevention and cure of some life-threatening diseases like COVID-19.
- Under this course, you will get to study organic chemistry, pharmaceutical chemistry, and medicinal chemistry along with a brief knowledge of the various component of the pharma industry such as pharmaceutical quality control, quality assurance, Biotechnology, enzyme technology, drug analytics.
- The most important and the major point of attraction of this course is, this course will never go out of trend as our world will be needing this part in all aspects and in all eras of time.
- Postgraduates in Pharmaceutical Chemistry are getting high demand and will be in focus always.
- The job opportunity in this field will never exhaust as the need for medicine will never vanish.
Master’s Degree in Pharmaceutical Chemistry details
M. Sc in Pharmaceutical Chemistry is a postgraduate degree that is a 2-year course that is designed to discover and develop the safe and effective commercial drugs. This program is governed under the superset of chemistry, especially synthetic organic chemistry
This course includes the study of drugs and the development of drugs. The related fields educate you about the concepts and processes to discover a drug, delivery of drug, chemical, and biological absorption of drug, metabolism, etc.
Eligibility Criteria for MSc in Pharmaceutical Chemistry:
Aspiring candidates to get admission in the Masters' degree in Pharmaceutical Chemistry need to fulfill the following eligibility criteria:
- The candidate must complete his/her Graduation (B.Sc.) from a recognized university.
- The candidate must have secured a minimum of 50% marks in aggregate at the graduation level examination. For SC/ST/OBC candidates there is a relaxation of 5% marks.
- Candidates who have appeared for their final exam and awaiting theirresults are also eligible to apply on a provisional basis.
- There is no age limit for applying for this course.
- Some of the popular qualifying examinations for getting a seat in M. Sc in Pharmaceutical Chemistry are DUET PG, WBJEE, CMRUAT, CUET PG.
- After getting a masters’ degree in pharmaceutical chemistry the lab technicians and the research assistants can move to the next level in their careers.
- This course gives a vast knowledge about medications, drug metabolism, and all aspects of pharmaceutical chemistry. With this knowledge, students prepare for a career in pharmaceutical innovation and drug discovery.
- M. Sc in pharmaceutical gives various job opportunities for the postgraduate students in the field of the drug industry.
- This field deals with the development and formulation of numerous drugs to treat patients with diseases and alsoconducts some researches about the effect of the different chemicalsof various biological systems.
- Candidates can get the opportunity to design a drug and also to develop a drug by applying methods of chemical analysis to ensure that the drug is refined.
- After completing M. Scin Pharmaceuticals Chemistry, you can work to create new drugs implementing all your knowledge.
- One can spike their career trajectory then he/she can go for a Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Chemistry. This will prepare you to get a better grip over the fields of pharmaceutical chemistry.
- One may even consider a teaching career in this field as various top pharmaceutical colleges are recruiting lecturers with this degree.
- Top jobs to get in this field are, Scientist, Research, Officer, Quality Control & Quality Assurance Analyst, Research Executive, Scientific Data Entry Specialist, Professor, Patent Analyst, Pharmaceutical Patent Analyst, Assistant Manager, etc.
- Some Pharmaceutical industry, colleges & universities, biotechnological companies, scientific industries, chemical or biomedical industries, hospitals, defense services, etc are constantly recruiting in this field.
- Some of the top recruiters in this field are:- Value Edge Research, Biocon, Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories, TIFR, eValueserve, IMS Health,Syngene International Limited, Jubilant, Parexel, NCBS, Indian Institute of Technology, Gratisol labs limited, Hygro Chemicals Pvt. Ltd., Novartis Healthcare Pvt. Ltd., Hemmo Pharmaceuticals Private limited, etc.
Some MSc Pharmaceutical Chemistry Colleges in India:-
|Name of Institute||Average Fees|
|Loyola College, Chennai||INR 5,953|
|St. Xavier's College, Mumbai||INR 13,708|
|Christ University, Bangalore||INR 77,500|
|Madras Christian College - [MCC], Chennai||INR 14,572|
|The Oxford College of Science, Bangalore||INR 40,000|
|Stella Maris College, Chennai||INR 24,343|
|Fergusson College, Pune||INR 4,698|
|Hans Raj College - [HRC], New Delhi||INR 12,327|
|Presidency College, Chennai||INR 925|
|Miranda House College, New Delhi||INR 14,170|
|Mount Carmel College - [MCC], Bangalore||INR 42,400|
|St. Xavier's College - [SXC], Kolkata||INR 73,100|
|Sri Venkateswara College, New Delhi||INR 10,976|
|Gargi College, New Delhi||INR 7,591|
|St Francis College for Women, Hyderabad||INR 4,520|
|Hindu College, New Delhi||INR 12,327|
|Ramnarain Ruia College, Mumbai||INR 13,960|
|Ethiraj College for Women, Chennai||INR 20,000|
|Acharya Narendra Dev College, New Delhi||INR 7,486|
As per the recent survey, the average salary of a postgraduate in Pharmaceutical Chemistry ranges from INR 4 to 8 Lakhs. There are a lot of scopes abroad too. After acquiring experience in the work field the candidate can get a good hike in the salary structure.