Cryptology is the science that deals with data communication and storing the data in secure formats. Cryptology can be defined as the mathematics and the application of the algorithms and formulas that form cryptography and cryptoanalysis. The word Cryptology has been derived from the Greek word kryptos meaning hidden and logos meaning word.
If you are interested to pursue cryptology, then you should study in the science stream with mathematics as a subject. This is commonly connected with computer security, information theory and engineering.
Qualities needed to become a cryptologist:
- Good with juggling numbers
- Effectively analyse the data
- Be alert always
- Good problem solving capabilities
Institutes offering courses in Cryptology
- Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata
- Indian Institute of Science
- IIT Madras
- IIT Guwahati
- IIT Kharagpur
- BITS Pilani
- IIT, Bombay
- NCST, Mumbai
- CMI, Chennai
- IDRBT, Hyderabad
- AU-KBC Centre, Chennai
- SASTRA University, Tanjavur
Certificate courses on Cryptology:
- Certified Information Security and Ethical Hacking Course
- Certified Penetration Testing Expert
- ASCL Certified Digital Evidence Analyst
- ASCL Certified Digital Forensic Investigator
- SCTS Certified Ethical Hacking
- EC-Council Certified Ethical Hacking
- EC-Council Certified Security Specialist
- EC-Council Network Security Administrator
- Red Hat Enterprise Security Network Services
Online courses on Cryptology:
There are many sites that offer online courses like Udemy and Udacity. crypto101 is a PDF book that explains about crypto algorithm and crypto systems both.
Areas where cryptologists can be employed
Cryptologists are much in demand in government agencies, military forces, technology companies, law enforcement agencies, universities, government agencies, research institutes and banks and financial organizations.
Is cryptology a good career option?
If you enjoy constantly learning new things and also loves deciphering coded data, create encryption systems, then this is indeed a great profession that you can select.
A graduate in this field can earn Rs 3.6 lakh yearly while a PhD holder can earn Rs 6 lakh annually.