The National Institute of Technologies (NITs) is among the nation's most prestigious engineering institutes. NITs are renowned for their popularity as a gateway for aspirants to engineering and many choose to pursue or develop their future at these institutes. Nevertheless, because the institutes receive lakhs of applicants per year, the admission process is a competitive one. To note that all B. Tech admissions to NITs are done only via JEE Main and authorities do not allow any other process. JEE Main is conducted all over the nation and is recognized as one of the country's toughest exams. Not only the test but also the applicants will have to fulfil the qualifications and successfully complete the counselling process for NIT admissions. Around 31 NITs are there all over India.
Candidates willing to get admission to NITs shall know the complete process and know some of the tips and tricks to go for it.
- For admissions to NITs through JEE Main, candidates will have to ensure that they meet the eligibility requirements that the authorities determine. Once the candidates meet the eligibility conditions for JEE Main, then they will only be considered for admissions.
- Candidates must pass class 12 from a recognized institute.
- Candidates should have passed Class 12 irrespective of any percentage of marks. Due to the continuing COVID-19 pandemic situation, this percentage criterion was updated for the academic year 2020-21. Under normal conditions and from the next session, candidates should have obtained a minimum of 75 per cent marks in Class 12 or equivalent exam or be in the top 20 percentile in their Class 12 exam. For SC/ST candidates, the requirement is to achieve marks of at least 65 per cent in class 12 or equivalent.
- On the official website, the application form of JEE Main gets published every year. The applicants will have to apply before the final date to participate in the admission process for NITs. Because JEE Main is conducted twice a year, the candidates will be given the option to take the entrance exam once or both times. Candidates’ information should be valid.
- Being the national level test, JEE Main has set its criteria a little tough. The candidates will have to attempt and qualify the entrance exam for admissions in NITs via JEE Main. JEE Main is conducted as a computer-based exam and the candidates will have to answer physics, chemistry, and math questions.
- The candidates will be able to register and pick their choice of colleges and courses from the NITs list during the online counselling process.
Many aspirants wish and aspire to study at NITs, and the level of competition inevitably becomes high. Candidates are required to score well in the entrance exam, i.e. JEE Main for NIT admissions, particularly if they wish to get admitted to top B. Tech or leading NIT courses. Nevertheless, if the applicant wishes to be admitted to top NITs, they will be expected to score more than 250 marks. Last 3 years cut-off JEE Main showed a downward trend. According to the experts, the reduction of cut-off marks needed for admission to NITs in JEE Main was mainly due to difficulties in the section on mathematics and an increase in the number of candidates for the paper.
It’s always better to know the cut-off of any paper before applying for it to prepare well. JEE Main cut-off is as follows: