Knitwear design is a course that plays an important role in developing able professionals for the Fashion Industry. It trains design enthusiasts with an aim to develop proper skills for knitted apparel designing and making. It has been reported that Knitwear Industry is in tremendous demand as per the present fashion trends. The knitting technique is often related to, woollen fabrics only but now it's being used in other fabrics as well to create designs, patterns, etc. This course deals with tools and techniques for promoting, branding, and managing activities related to the manufacturing of different types of fabrics, and its related products.
What you will focus on?
- Dynamic technical aspects involved in Knitting.
- The science related to various types of pattern making.
- Tools used during Knitting.
- Re-designing traditional designs.
- Understanding the complicated details of Knitwear Design
Undergraduate/Bachelor Degree: Bachelor of Design in Knitwear Design
Bachelor of Design in Knitwear Design: 3 Years
||Varies with Degree
||Arvind Brands, Park Avenue, Benetton, Indian Terrain, Cascade Enterprises, Intertek India Private Limited, Creative Lines, ITC LRBD, GAP, Lifestyle, Future Groups, H & M, Marks and Spencer
|Top Career/Job Profiles
||Knitwear Designer, Merchandiser, Textile Designer, Fashion Forecaster, etc
Interested aspirants should check the eligibility criteria before applying for a degree in Knitwear Design. They should check their essential qualifications like academic requirements. The eligibility criteria for a degree in Knitwear Design is mentioned below:
|Bachelor of Design in Knitwear Design
||NIFT, NID, AIEED, UCEED, etc.
- Attention to detail
- Creative flair and artistic ability
- Interest in fashion and textiles
- Understanding of trends and materials
- Good eye for color, texture, fabric, and pattern
- Good communication skills
- Intrinsic knowledge of color, shades, and tones
- Quick learning
- Drawing, sketching, and graphics
- Observational and exploring attitude
- Ability to understand consumer and market demands to set new trends.
The syllabus & courses for knitwear designing varies as across the various institutions. Many colleges prepare their own syllabus pattern, therefore it may differ from one college to another. However, there are certain common subjects that are taught across the institutions. The syllabus has been mentioned below:
||Grading and Marker Making
|Computerized Flat Knitting
||Textile Dyeing and Finishing
||Fashion Marketing and Merchandising
|Hand Knitting and Sportswear
||Traditional Indian Textiles
|Flat Knitting and Hand Knitting
|Craft Research and Development
||Trends and Forecasting
||Lingerie, Kids Wear
||Design Process and Research
||Print Design, Portfolio Development
||Design Collection/ Graduation Project
|Image and Fashion Styling
Most institutes offering the course admit students based on performance in a relevant entrance test, often followed by a round of personal interviews, wherein their general aptitude for the course is tested. The admission process generally varies across colleges. A few institutes also provide direct admission based on the candidate’s performance at the 10+2 level. However, there is no restriction with respect to the subjects required.
- Duration of the Exam: 180 minutes/3 hours
- Number of Questions: 150
- Stages of Exam: Written Test, Situation Test, and Group Discussion/Personal Interview
- Duration of Exam: 3 hours
- Mode of Exam: Pen and Paper-based (PBT)
- Mode of Application: Online
- Registration starts: 1st October onwards
- Exam slots Booking: 15th January - 30th September 2020
- Registration starts and end date: 9th September - 30th October 2020
- UCEED 2021 Exam Date: 17th January 2021 (9 AM - 12 PM)
- Result declaration: 10th March 2021
Career and Job Prospects:
||Average Salary per Annum
||Rs 4 lakhs
||Rs 6 lakhs
||Rs 5 lakhs
||Rs 6.2 lakhs
- Arvind Brands
- Park Avenue
- Indian Terrain
- Cascade Enterprises
- Intertek India Private Limited
- Creative Lines
- ITC LRBD
- Future Groups
- H & M
- Marks and Spencer
Top Hiring Cities in India
- New Delhi
Q: What is Knitwear Design Course?
A: Knitwear Design Course trains design professionals who can cater to knitted apparel, has been on a rise in the market as per the present time.
Q: What are the career prospects for someone who finished B. Des in Knitting Design?
A: Successful graduates of the course are professionally trained in circular and flatbed knitting machines, and serve in the domestic and export fields. Such professionals are hired as:
- Creative Managers
- Production Managers
Q: What is the eligibility criteria for pursuing Knitwear Design as a career?
A: The course in Knitwear designing can be pursued by students who have completed their Class 10+2 level education from recognized schools affiliated to national/state education boards. There is no restriction of stream and students from all streams i.e. Science/Commerce/Arts can pursue an undergraduate course in Knitwear Design.
Q: What are the top colleges to consider for Knitwear Design?
A: The top colleges to consider are as follows:
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Delhi
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Mumbai
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Kannur
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Hyderabad
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Chennai
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Kolkata
- Pearl Academy, New Delhi
- Ansal University, Gurgaon
Q: What is the process of admission?
A: The admission process depends on the management of different colleges. Some colleges have merit-based admission and some colleges have an entrance system for admission purposes.