Whenever you think of any operation- be it big or small, one physician who is pivotal is an anaesthetist. An anaesthetist is responsible for the safety of the patient undergoing a particular surgery. They are licensed doctors who engage in anaesthesia techniques. These techniques include making the patient unconscious so that he/she do not feel any pain during the surgery. Without them surgery would not be possible in most of the situations. Apart from making the patient unconscious, they are also responsible for post-operative techniques.
Job and career prospects
A career in anaesthesia is always booming as there is always a need for anaesthesiologists in every nursing home or hospital. This job is a team-oriented activity than any other medical job. This is simply because the anaesthesiologists work with other doctors to assess and also monitor the temperature of the patient, check heart rate and breathing, both during and after the surgery.
These physicians also work in Intensive Care Units where they restore critically ill patients to a stable condition. They provide relief from pain to patients in labour and delivery conditions. As long as there is a demand for pain relief, there will always be a requirement for good anaesthesiologists.
Place of work for anaesthesiologists:
A good and trained anaesthesiologist is required in health clinics, hospitals, nursing homes, offices of doctors and in any place where patients require relief from pain. They are also in demand in urgent care centres, academic and military medical centres.
- One can also work as lecturer in medical colleges if they do not want a career in medical practice. Those with good experience can become visiting anaesthesiologists.
- One can also enter the research field and expand their horizons.
Criteria for studying anaesthesiology
You need to focus on chemistry, mathematics and physics. - After completion of MBBS, one can opt for PG course of MD in Anaesthesiology.
Top colleges in India offering a degree in anaesthesiology
- Some other disciplines can be found in anaesthesia that include- neurosurgery, intensive care medicine, pain management, maxillofacial surgery, obstetrics, trauma and emergency surgery, cardiac and thoracic surgery and so on.
- Anaesthesiologist Assistant is a physician who works under the guidance of an anaesthesiologist and assists the patient to undergo anaesthesia.
- A Certified Registered Nurse Anaesthetists works under an anaesthetist and helps in medicating the patient.
- Anaesthesia technicians are the physicians responsible for maintaining the equipments for anaesthesia and managing them in a proper manner.
In India, an anaesthesiologist can earn around Rs 20,000 to Rs 30,000 monthly depending on the medical institution that they work for. After earning experience in the field, one can charge on an hourly basis and earn a good sum.
- There are no proper working hours for anaesthesiologists as they may be called whenever there is an operation to be performed.
- For those individuals who want to pursue a career in anaesthesia, keeping these simple facts in mind will enable them to easily make their decisions and pick their job.
Top Hiring Companies:-
- Narayana Hrudayalaya Health City, Bengaluru
- Apollo Cradle, Bengaluru
- Aster Medcity, Kochi
- Jupiter Lifeline Hospital, Thane
- Mewar Hospital, Udaipur
- Max Super Speciality Hospital, Vaishalli