Sports Science is one such career that is making its pace in India slowly. Students pursuing their career in sports science can get a broad idea about the subjects concerning health and wellbeing, fitness, and pharmaceuticals, etc. Sport and exercise scientists help their clients to improve their performance in sports or better their general health and wellbeing. Sports science draws on many different disciplines, like:
- Psychology: It consists of topics relating to the human body and mind in sports.
- Physiology: It deals with the reactions to the human body and proper exercise and training.
- Biomechanics: It is a detailed analysis of sport and muscular movements to minimize the risk of injury and improve sports performance.
Why study Sports Science?
With a broad range of topics involving in Sports Science, one with a keen interest in sports can find at least any suitable carrier option with a plenty amount of job opportunities in the market according to their wish.
- Sports Science has growing demand and with a lot of new technologies getting involved in sports, and new athletes required, their job role as a scientist will be valued.
- Being a sports scientist, one can be engaged in research works to gather more new information about sports-related topics.
- Sports Scientists may also help clients with psychological issues to overcome depression and anxiety and strengthen their mental health.
- Sports Science would be a dream career for the sports freaks. No matter what sports it is, it would be a fascinating job with an ample amount of job opportunities.
Making a career in Sports Science:
Sports Science is not only just for time passes but also can be a great career option too. To take up a career in Sports Science, one not only needs good scores in PE but also needs to have a keen interest in sports. A couple of colleges in India are providing sports Management courses. But with the growing demand for the course, many B-Schools are also planning to offer this course in the future.
Courses and Eligibility in Sports Science:
Interested students can go for both UG and PG courses in Sports Management. Students need to complete their 12th boards with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as their subjects. This will help the students to choose between both the options of pursuing a bachelor's in Arts as well as a bachelor's in Science for the stream of Sports Science.
- UG in Sports Science: Candidates need to pass 12th boards from a recognized university with a minimum of 45% aggregate marks. Physical education is mandatory in some colleges.
- PG in Sports Science: Candidates need to complete graduation from a recognized college with a minimum of 45% in aggregate.
MBA in Sports Management: The candidate should have a graduation degree or equivalent from a recognized university. Also, they should have cleared an MBA entrance exam such as CAT, CMAT, GMAT, XAT, SNAP
Popular Colleges For Sports Science Courses:
- Indian Institute of Management, Rohtak
- Symbiosis School of Sports Management
- International Institute of Sports Management (IISM), Mumbai
- Indira Gandhi Institute of Physical Education and Sports Science, Delhi
- Ironwood Sports Management Global Academy
- AISTS - International Academy of Sport Science and Technology
- National Academy of Sports Management, Mumbai
- Hindustan University, Chennai
- Tamil Nadu Physical Education and Sports University, Chennai
- Alagappa University, Tamil Nadu
- Institute of Management and Technical Studies, Noida
Jobs Profiles and Salary Structure:
A sportsperson can be employed in government sectors like the Indian government and Armed forces also have special recruitments for exceptional sporting talent. A handful of jobs are also available in the private sector. If anyone is interested can also start their start-up business in sports equipment manufacturing. Other than this there are plenty other options of making their carrier in Sports Science, like:
- Sport psychologist
- Sport Journalist
- Sports Player
- Sports Coach & Instructor
- Sports Photographer
- Personal Trainer
- Professional Athlete
- Physical Education Teacher
- Health Advice Officer
- Health & Public Services Leader
In India, the salary of a sports scientist depends upon the job profile. One with a master’s degree and with a capability to perform excellently in sports can expect a starting salary of Rs.50000/, every month. People working in established sports filed like Cricket and Badminton in India can have a good salary figure going up to Rs 200000/- per month.
A career as a sports scientist abroad:
If one wants to pursue their carrier in Sports Science, a wide range of scopes are there abroad. During their carrier one can also complete nationally recognized gym instructor, personal training, and exercise referral qualifications, opening up more career opportunities. A degree from any renounced university in the UK is highly valued. Depending upon the kind of job role you do salaries may range from £18000-£35,000 annually. High-profile professionals can get an annual salary figure of £60000-£100,000. Taking a membership of the British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences, one can be allowed to practice anywhere in the U.K.
Some well-known colleges in abroad that offers Sports Science Courses:
|Nottingham Trent University||Sports and Exercise Science B. Sc Hons.|
|University of Leeds||Sports Science and Physiology M.Sc|
|Birmingham University- School of Sports Sciences||M.Sc and Ph.D in sports and Rehabilation Sciences|
Read also : High Salary Courses After 12th Science