Biological Sciences and Bioengineering program (BIO) is a study about developing new bioinformatics tools through the application of various principles of biology. The students are trained to make usable, tangible, economically viable products. It aims to educate students about Biomaterials, Biomechanics and Cell and Tissue Engineering, Biomedical Devices, Computational Bioengineering, Biomedical Imaging, Premed, and Synthetic Biology. This course involves the application of concepts and methods of biology and other sciences.
What the course focuses on?
- Developing new bioinformatics tools
- Various principles associated with biology
- Techniques for using bioinformatics tools
- Analyzing different types of data
|Course Name||Biological Sciences and Bioengineering|
|Eligibility||Varies with course|
|Admission Process||Merit and Entrance based admission|
|Top Recruiters||Biocon, IFGL Bioceramics Limited, Orbees Medical, Invitrogen, Cipla, Deloitte, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), Jubilant Life Sciences, etc|
|Top Career Scopes||Biological Engineers, Biomedical Engineers, Equipment Design Engineer, Lab Technician/Administrator, Pharmacognosist, etc|
The top Colleges and Universities which provide the Biological Science and Bioengineering course are given below:
|B. Tech in Biological Science and Bioengineering||4 years||
B. Tech in Biological Science and Bioengineering
|Calculus I||Calculus II-Functions of several variables||Ecology and Environment||Humanities II (Elective)|
|Physics I||Physics II||Humanities I (Elective)||Mathematics IV (Elective)|
|Chemistry: Structure, bonding, and reactivity||Computational Engineering/ Thermodynamics||Mathematics III (Elective)||Computational Techniques in Bio-systems|
|Concepts in Engineering Design||Basic Electrical engineering||Engineering Mechanics||Principles of Cell and Molecular Biology|
|Computational Engineering/ Thermodynamics||Material and Energy Balances||Microbiology||Biological Rate Processes|
|Introduction to Biological Science and Bio-Engineering||Engineering Drawing||Biochemistry||Thermodynamics of Biological Systems|
|Workshop I||Workshop II||Microbiology and Biochemistry Laboratory||Genetic Engineering Laboratory|
|Physics Lab I||Physics Lab II|
|Chemistry Lab I|
|Semester V||Semester VI||Semester VII||Semester VIII|
|Transport Phenomena in Biological Systems||Structural Biology||Bioinformatics||Computational Biology Laboratory|
|Biosensors and Instrumentation||Downstream Processing Biomaterials||Engineering Industrial||Lecture|
|Biosensors and Instrumentation||Analysis and Interpretation of Biological Data||Professional Elective II||Metabolic Engineering|
|Bioreactor Design and Analysis||Professional Elective I||Computational Biology Laboratory||Introduction to Research Methodology|
|Bio-molecular Analysis Laboratory||Bioprocess Engineering Laboratory||Professional Elective III|
|Professional Elective IV|
|Self- Study (Elective)|
- An analytical mind and critical thinking skills.
- Enjoy working with living organisms and studying biological systems.
- Good laboratory skills.
- An ability to quickly assess large amounts of information and data.
- Leadership skills.
- Self-confidence and motivation.
Admission to B.Tech in Biomedical Instrumentation is through entrance examinations conducted either by the university or the national level entrance examinations such as JEE. Some colleges also accept direct admission on the basis of merit considering the marks obtained in the last academic exam.
These are some of the top entrances for Biological Science and Bio-engineering course:
1. JEE Main (Joint Entrance Examination)
- Exam Duration: 3 hours
- Application Mode: Online
- Exam Mode: Online and Offline
- Exam Frequency: Twice a year
2. JEE Advanced
- Application Form: 12 September 2020
- Last date of the application form: 17 September 2020
- JEE Advance 2020 Exam Date: 27 September 2020
3. BITSAT (Birla Institute of Technology & Science Admission test)
- Exam date: 16th - 18th and 21st - 23rd Septemeber, 2020
- Exam Duration: 3 Hours
- Mode of Exam: Online
4. VITEEE (Vellore Institute of Technology Engineering Entrance Examination)
- Total time: 2 Hours 30 Minutes
- Type of Question: MCQs
- Level of exam: University level
- Frequency of exam: Once in a year
5. SRMJEEE (SRM Joint Entrance Examination for Engineering)
- Exam: Cancelled
6. COMEDK (Consortium of Medical, Engineering and Dental Colleges of Karnataka)
- Exam Level: State Level
- Mode of Application: Online
- Mode of Examination: Computer Based Test
7. KIITEE (Karnataka Institute of Industrial Technology Entrance Exam)
- Duration of exam: 3 Hours
- Level of exam: University level
- Exam frequency: Once a year
- Mode of exam: Online
8. WBJEE (West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination)
- Mode of Exam: Pen and Paper
- Result: Released
- Courses Offered: Engineering, Pharmacy, and Architecture
9. GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test Engineering)
- Extended Closing Dates for Online Application (with late fee): 7 October 2020
- GATE 2021 Exam Dates: 5, 6, 7, 12, 13, 14 February 2021
- GATE 2020 Results: 22 March 2021
The prime recruiters in this industry are Healthcare, Pharmaceutical, and Healthcare Manufacturing sectors. Government agencies such as Drug Departments, State Health Departments also recruit B.E/ B. Tech- qualified Biological Science, and Bio-engineering graduates.
Average Salary per year
|Biological Engineers||Rs 3 Lakhs|
|Biomedical Engineers||Rs 3.5 Lakhs|
|Equipment Design Engineer||Rs 3.5 Lakhs|
|Lab Technician/Administrator||Rs 2.5 Lakhs|
|Research Engineer||Rs 3 Lakhs|
|Bioinformatics specialist||Rs 3.5 lakhs|
|Pharmacognosist||Rs 10 lakhs|
There are plenty of companies who hire a candidate from this Biological Science and Bio-engineering course are as follows:
|Biocon||IFGL Bioceramics Limited|
|Reliance Life Sciences||CTS Life Sciences|
|Jubilant Life Sciences||Wockhardt|
|Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR)||Dr. Reddy’s|
Top Hiring Cities:
Q: What is the scope of Biological Science and Bioengineering in India?
A: The interdependency of each of these specialty fields increases the demand for biological scientists and biological engineers. One of the primary tasks of rehabilitation engineers is to help improve the lives of those who have physical impairments.
Q: What are the careers in Biological Science and Bioengineering?
A: Variety of careers exist in the field of healthcare. Majoring in biological sciences offers solid preparation for further education in the fields of Pharmacy, Medicine, Nursing, Optometry, Physician Assistant, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Dentistry, and more.
Q: What are the top entrances for a course in Biological Science and Bioengineering?
A: Some of the top entrances are mentioned below:
- JEE Main (Joint Entrance Examination)
- JEE Advanced
- BITSAT (Birla Institute of Technology & Science Admission test)
- KIITEE (Karnataka Institute of Industrial Technology Entrance Exam)
Q: What are the top colleges that provide a course in Biological Science and Bioengineering?
A: Some of the top colleges are mentioned below: