Physiology is a full-time 3-year Post-Graduate course in Doctor of Medicine (MD) that deals in Human Anatomy. It is the science of the physical, chemical, and mechanical functions of human organs and their cells. The course covers anatomical terminologies, biochemistry, cells and tissues, skeletal, muscular, endocrine, nervous, cardiovascular, digestive, urinary, respiratory, immune, and reproductive systems. Students learn various types of diseases related to the human body, understand the structure and functions of the body. The major parts linked to Physiology are bones and joints, brain, skin, blood vessels, internal organs, and spinal cords.
|Course Level||Post Graduate (PG)|
|Examination Type||Semester Type|
|Eligibility||The student should have an MBBS degree|
|Top Recruiters||Apollo Healthcare, Fortis Hospitals, Pentagon Global solutions|
|Top Career/Job Profiles||Rural Development Officer, Business Development Manager, Regional Manager|
- All India Institute of Medical Studies (AIIMS), New Delhi
- Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER), Puducherry
- Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh
- Amrita School of Medicine, Kochi
- Armed Forces Medical College, Pune
- AJ Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Center, Mangalore
- Dr. D Y Patil Medical College, Hospital and Research Center, Pune
- Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute, Bangalore
- M.S. Ramaiah Medical College, Bangalore
- Kalinga Institute of Medical Sciences (KIMS), Bhubaneswar
- Christian Medical College and Hospital, Ludhiana
|MD in Physiology||3 years||
MD in Physiology is a 3-year duration course. The year-wise subjects of study are given in the table below:
|Year I||Year II||Year III|
|General Physiology||Medical Gastroenterology||Pediatrics|
|Physiology of Excitable Tissue||Clinical biochemistry||Ophthalmology|
|Endocrinology and Metabolism||Community medicine||-|
The admission in MD in Physiology is mostly based on the performance in entrance exams. Eligible candidates can apply for national level entrance exams such as NEET PG to take admission into this course. University level entrance exams such as AIIMS PG and JIPMER PG have been discontinued from the year 2020-21. In place of them, INI CET has been introduced as the new PG Medical Entrance Exam for admissions. Also, some institutions offer admission into this course on a merit basis based on the performance in the MBBS degree.
With all other medical PG entrance exams being discontinued, only 2 National-level PG entrance exams are being conducted in the country, which is:
1. NEET PG (National Eligibility cum Entrance Test Post Graduate)
- Minimum Qualification: Candidates must have an MBBS degree or a certificate that justifies the candidate has an MBBS degree.
- Exam Duration: 3.5 Hours
- Exam Mode: Online
2. INI CET (Institute of National Importance Combined Entrance Test)
- Minimum Qualification: Candidates must have an MBBS degree or its equivalent with a minimum of 55% marks in aggregate (50% for SC/ST)
- Exam Duration: 3 Hours
- Exam Mode: Online
- Problem-solving skills
- Analytical skills
- Should have the ability to analyze, organize, and communicate information and data
- Presentation skills
- Numerical skills
- Attention to detail
- Should be able to develop the hypothesis and design expertise
- Should have a calm and patient nature
Career and Job prospects:
After completing MD in Physiology, one can get job opportunities at various Hospitals, Healthcare sectors, Universities, etc. Different types of job roles for this course are mentioned in the table below:
|Job Profile||Average Salary Per Annum|
|Physiologists||3 - 4 Lakh Rupees|
|Clinical Analyst||4 - 6 Lakh Rupees|
|Physiology Trainer||3 - 5 Lakh Rupees|
|Lab Technician - Physiology||2 - 4 Lakh Rupees|
|Trainee Medical Coder||3 - 4 Lakh Rupees|
|Anatomy Trainer||2 - 4 Lakh Rupees|
|Professor||5 - 7 Lakh Rupees|
- Healthcare sectors
- Military services
- Lotus labs private ltd
- Apollo Healthcare
- Fortis Hospitals
- Pentagon Global solutions
- Columbia Asia
- Healthcare Global Enterprises Ltd (HCG)
- Aster DM Healthcare Ltd
- Piramal Healthcare
- Siemens Healthcare
Top Hiring Cities in India:
- New Delhi
Q: What is Physiology?
A: Physiology is the science of the physical, chemical, and mechanical functions of human organs and their cells. It is basically the study of the structure and functions of various human body parts.
Q: What does a Physiologist do?
A: A physiologist examines and monitors human physiological organs and systems such as respiratory, nervous, and cardiac systems, to diagnose and treat physiological disorders and long-term illnesses.
Q: What are the eligibility criteria to pursue MD in Physiology?
A: The basic eligibility criteria to get admission into MD in physiology is to have an MBBS degree with a minimum of 55% in aggregate.
Q: What is the average salary of a Physiologist?
A: The average salary ranges from 3 - 4 lakh rupees per annum.