The concept of public policy is originated from the scarcity of resources. It is generally meant to develop the underdeveloped. The Public policy management course makes the students understand the importance and the need for innovations along with the leadership quality in public management, economic analysis for various public policies, ethics in public management, and decision making in public policy. Those who have a dream to make a career in governance and join public offices and any organizations that work to diminish social problems will be the most beneficial from this course.
Know more: NIRF Ranking: Check the List of Top Management Colleges
A Public Policy Management student is able to tackle various difficult situations like policy drafting, delivery of services, brand new innovations, legal issues, and regulation of public policy, etc. For this, the candidates must pursue skillsets like good communication, management skill, goal-oriented work, ability to solve or tackle any problem, etc. During this course, students get educated in the fields of management, finance, economics, marketing, operations, etc. Public Policy Management is a dynamic choice for the students who wish to get into a bright career that gives them the opportunity to use their education and skills for public betterment.
Why Choose Public Policy Management?
- The public Policy Management course will give you a divine chance to utilize your knowledge to serve mankind and to solve various social problems.
- Students gain knowledge as well as experience in the fields of management. In this course, students also get a vast knowledge of economics, finance, marketing, operations, etc.
- Graduates of the Public Policy Management course have the capabilities of responding as well as solving social issues and also manage them using public policies or programs.
- After completing the course students can get a job both in private and are government organizations or any consulting firms or international organizations.
Public Policy Management Eligibility:
- In order to get admission in MBA/PGDM in public policy management courses, the candidate must have a graduation degree with a minimum of 50% marks in aggregate from a recognized university.
- For the candidates belonging to SC/ST category, the minimum obtained mark in graduation is 45%.
- Candidates pursuing graduation in any discipline can apply for this course.
- The candidate must have cleared the entrance test or must have a valid score card in CAT or MAT or XAT or CMAT or GMAT.
MBA in Public Policy Management Admission Process
- The admission into MBA/PGDM in Public Policy Management is held on the basis of the performance of the candidate in the qualifying entrance exam.
- Apart from the above mentioned national level MBA entrance exam, some colleges also conduct their own entrance exam to select the eligible candidates.
- Candidates should visit the official website of the college they are applying for and get to know about the detail of the entrance exams those are accepted by the respective college.
- After all the process, in the final round, the selected candidates will be called for the group discussion and personal interview by sending emails.
Public Policy Management Syllabus:
- MBA in Public Policy Management is a two years course, however, the name of the subjects may change slightly from university to university.
- There is a total of four semesters in two years having two semesters in each year.
- The table below gives a detailed idea and content of the syllabus of the MBA course in Public Policy Management.
|1st Semester||2nd Semester|
|Innovations and leadership in public management||Economic analysis for public policy|
|US public policy process||Research methods|
|Decision making in public policy||Elective I|
|Ethics in public management||Elective II|
|3rd Semester||4th Semester|
|Management of program evaluation||Project Work|
|Advanced policy management project|
Future Scope in Public Policy Management:
- The students after completing the course find opportunities in both government and private organizations. The government organizations like Securities Exchange Board of India (SEBI), Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), Planning Commission, and United Nation bodies, etc are hiring candidates with a good academic profile in this field. Similarly, there are some public sector undertaking organizations that include GAIL India Ltd, Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) hire students from the field of Public Policy Management.
- As per our research, Most of the graduates of this stream join various public offices or non-profit organizations. The course also has many career opportunities in consultancy firms that are working in the fields of public policy and governance.
- Students can excel in their career by a step toward research projects or they can also join the academic line of work as many colleges recruiting faculties in this field too.
Here is the list of some top companies that hire public policy graduates.
- World Bank
- HCL Technologies
- Antara Foundation
- Access Health International
Here are some job profiles with descriptions and the average salary:
|Job Position||Description||Average Salary|
|Researcher||The main duty of this job personnel is to research by using various methodologies and sources and they must be able to draw recent and relevant data for the organization.||INR 6.85 Lakhs|
|Public Policy Manager||A public policy manager’s responsibility is to manage the development of various policy programs. Their role is very crucial for any organization as they ensure whether the strategic objectives of the organization are fulfilled and take necessary steps for the fulfillment of the target.||INR 8.27 Lakhs|
|Policy Advisor||The responsibilities of a policy advisor profession vary depending on the concerning department or agency. Their responsibilities include identifying and developing the key policy areas, assembling the projects, interpreting, and analyzing the information, and giving the brief to the employers and the external organizations.||INR 6.2 Lakhs|
|Public Affairs Specialist||Public affairs specialists help to maintain a healthy relationship between the public and the organization. The name of the position may differ in business firms as public relations specialists or communications specialists.||INR 5.94 Lakhs|
|Environment Consultant||Environmental consultants are responsible for giving various solutions to environmental problems or they work and concrete the existing solutions to make them better. They also conduct hazardous-waste management studies along with the environmental impact of construction projects. Another role of this profile is to analyze the scientific data on the Environment.||INR 4.43 Lakhs|
Top Colleges For Public Policy Management:
In the educational industry where you can get numerous options for the same course, we have prepared the table below gives a list of top colleges and universities in India offering the Public Policy Management course along with the admission process and the fees. To ease your confusion we are here proving the average salary package provided by the respective college.
Let’s have a look.
|Sl. No.||Name Of The College||Fees||Admission Process||Average Salary Package|
|1||Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore||Rs 1.40 Lakh||Entrance test followed by a personal interview and another written ability test||Rs 26.18 Lakh|
|2||Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad||Rs 9.39 Lakhs||Entrance based||Rs 26.13 Lakhs|
|3||Indian Institute of Management, Kolkata||Rs 27 Lakh||Entrance based||Rs 25 Lakh|
|4||Management Development Institute, Gurgaon||Rs 18.86 Lakhs||Entrance test followed by group discussion/ interview||Rs 22.05 Lakh|
|5||Xavier School of Management||Rs 20.95||Entrance based||Rs 20 Lakh|
|6||Indian Institute of Management, Lucknow||Rs 13.70 Lakh||Entrance based||Rs 15 Lakh|
|7||Indian Institute of Management, Indore||Rs 7.86||Entrance based||Rs 15 Lakh|
|8||School of Business Studies, Sharda University||Rs 2.60 Lakhs||Entrance based||Rs 12 Lakh|
|9||MICA School, Ahmedabad||Rs 20 Lakhs||Entrance based||Rs 12 Lakh|
|10||TERI School of Advanced Studies||Rs 4 Lakhs||Entrance based||Rs 5-14 Lakh|
Read also: Management- A profession spreading happiness beyond business