There are thousands of students flying to Canada for higher education from all around the globe. However, for every ferry to ride there is a ticket. And to reach Canada, you need to clear IELTS examination or similar tests. These exams are an integral part of the Canadian immigration process. Seating for these exams can be a daunting task. What you need is a bit of information and focus to get the perfect band score.
What is IELTS?
International English Language Test System (IELTS) is managed by British Council, Cambridge Assessment English and IDP. It identifies the level of proficiency from a band score of 1 (non-user) to 9 (expert).
There are two variants of the exam, i.e.
(a) IELTS Academic: For candidates applying for higher education
(b) IELTS General Training: Immigration to UK, Australia and Canada
To Know more about IELTS. Click Here
There are 4 categories for scoring a candidate based on his or her speaking, listening, writing and reading skills. Reading, writing and listening skills are completed on one day, whereas the speaking skill is usually done on a separate day.
Time duration for listening test is 30 minutes, where you get to listen to 4 recordings and answer a series of questions. In case of reading test, it is basically of 1 hour. This section has 40 questions. The third section is of writing that is also for 1 hour. The speaking section is for 11-15 minutes where the spoken English of the candidate is judged.
IELTS for Canada express Visa
There are around four language tests offered by the Canadian government to lead its immigration process, and IELTS is one of them. All immigrants applying under Express Entry need to pass the IELTS exam (General training exam). The candidate has to be proficient in English or French. For Canada PR Visa, one has to score a 6 per band in IELTS.
IELTS and CLB Score
|CLB Score||Points per category||Listening||Reading||Writing||Speaking|
|10 and more||6||8.5-9||8-9||7.5-9|
Examination fees for IELTS exam
You can take the test in two modes: computer-delivered or paper-based.
- IELTS Academic fee: 13,250 INR
Read to Know: Know all about student Visa to Canada
Canada PR without IELTS
For immigration process for Canada, IELTS is mandatory. However, there are other immigration programs apart from the express entry program, which allows the candidate to apply for Canada PR visa with a low IELTS score. Some of these Provincial Nominee Program (PNPs) require an IELTS score of 4.5.
Tricks for IELTS Examination
If you require the 6 band score for Canada immigration, here are some useful tricks and tips for you to follow:
- Listening: Prior to starting the examination, check the headphones whether they are working or not. The recordings do not repeat and you cannot go back or rewind. So, you need to be very careful while doing this section.
- Reading: Read the passage carefully and answer the questions. If you are not able to understand any questions, skip it and go for the next one without wasting any time. You can answer that at the end.
- Writing: Task 1 needs to be answered within 150 words and task 2 has to be answered in 250 words. Use short passages and sentences to answer. Use active voice for answering the questions.
- Speaking: You need to speak slowly and fluently. Do not take long pause. Sentence structure should be good with some better enriched vocabulary.
What is the validity of IELTS certificate?
The test results are valid for 2 years from the date of results. Then it gets expired and you need to take a re-test for proving your English efficiency got Canadian immigration.
Other Top Entrances to consider for studying abroad:
Read Here to Know: 13 Reasons Why You Should Study Abroad
Read Here to Know: Top Entrances for Indian Students to Study Abroad