CAT 2020 Counselling:
Screening On the basis of Written Test CAT:
The written test is a duration of 180 minutes and is divided into 3 sections each of 60 minutes. The candidate cannot do sectional jump and has to appear the exam in the following order. CAT 2020 has been following the same trend in the exam pattern for the last few years. Here are the details of the CAT 2020 written examination test:
- Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension consists of a total of 34 questions carrying a total of 102 marks
- Analytical Reasoning and Data Interpretation consists of a total of 32 questions carrying 96 marks in total
- Quantitative Aptitude contains 34 questions from varied topics carrying a total of 102 marks
The exam contains both MCQ and non-MCQ type questions. Each correct answer is awarded +3 marks and -1 marks are deducted for each wrong answer. The Non-MCQ type questions carry no negative marking. No marks are awarded or deducted for unanswered questions.
Every Institution sets different parameters for their admission process. If the candidate clears the cut-off set by his/her desired institution in the first round, a call letter is sent by the Institution for the next round i.e the GD/WAT round. Some of the Management institutes conduct both GD and WAT along with PI while some directly conduct the written test. While Institution like FMS also conduct Extempore followed by PI
Group Discussion(GD)/Written Ability Test(WAT):
After the CAT 2020 exam, the candidate goes through the next phase that is the GD-WAT round. In GD, the candidates are divided into groups of 8-10 each to check their thought process & teamwork. Only 15-45 minutes are given for the GD/WAT round. The candidates will be given topics either from burning issues, static affairs, abstract topic or case studies and are expected to remain aware of such issues that will help both for GD and WAT
GD and WAT topics can basically be of the following types based on the current situation:
The PI round is one of the most important rounds as it carries maximum weightage after the CAT 2020 score. After the GD round, the candidate can attend the Personal Interview or PI round known as the last round of the process. In this round, the candidate has to face the questions coming from a panel consisting of 2-4 interviewers. The panel may ask questions about yourself, general awareness and details present in your CV.
Factors Affecting Selection Process
The participating institutes and IIMs give weightage to each mentioned factor as per their criteria to arrive at a Composite Score of the candidate. On the basis of this Composite Score, the candidate is offered admission into their B-schools.
Common Admission Process for CAT 2020:
Common Admission Process (CAP) is introduced to organize common counselling sessions for IIMs. The difference between CAP & other selection processes is that CAP doesn't have a GD round.
Basically the 3rd generation IIMs take part in the CAP process and they are:
- IIM Kashipur
- IIM Raipur
- IIM Ranchi
- IIM Rohtak
- IIM Trichy
- IIM Udaipur
- IIM Bodh Gaya
- IIM Sambalpur
- IIM Sirmaur
- IIM Jammu
Here is the procedure for Common Admission Process (CAP):
- All the participating IIMs have to submit their individual short-list to the CAP coordinator for 2020.
- Then the host IIM will prepare a final short-list for CAP 2020.
- Confirmation of the Candidate is needed for common counselling.
- Candidates will appear for the CAP process and attempt WAT and PI.
- The host IIM will send the CAP score to respective IIMs
- All IIM then prepare their final admission list.
- The centres for CAP 2020 will be Mumbai, New Delhi, Chennai, Bengaluru, and Kolkata. For the 1st CAP merit list around 14000 candidates are expected to be selected.
Documents Required for Counselling Process
- 10th, 12th, graduation, mark sheets, and degree certificates
- Professional Degree Certificate(if applicable)
- Proof of date of birth
- Caste certificate (if applicable)
- Admission letter
- CAT admit card
- Address proof of parents
- Passport size photographs (colour/black & white)
- Other documents to be presented if asked to
Check previous year CAT Cutoffs