What Exactly an SOP is?
The fascinating and convincible 'statement of purpose' or SOP is necessary to get admission. The key factor for the chances of getting approval is the uniqueness of your admission essay. A statement of purpose, more precisely, a letter of intent is a unique draft that tells about your journey so far and also highlights your future objective and aspirations. SOP should be wrapped in 1-2 pages or 800-1000 words long essay to convince the universities to give, In short, Ideally, your admission.
The Key Factors which are to be Kept in Mind While Writing an Impressive SOP are as follows:
- Uniqueness- Yes, you are unique, no one can not have the same SOP as yours. Your life experiences, setbacks and achievements, academic performance, your goals and plans for future, altogether make you a very unique person, and so your SOP should be. Do not ever copy from your friends and the internet.
- Clear and concise statement- Purpose is the soul for an SOP. Be clear about your purpose. Tell them what exactly you want from them. Your SOP must have the answer to 'What are your goals?' and 'how the specific course will help you in your career?'
- Personal Touch- A personal touch can leave an impression on the reader's heart. Share your experiences, and be honest while writing them.
- Error-free and sound vocabulary- When you are sending the proposal, make sure it is error-free. To avoid errors, proofread it. You can use technical terms related to your course, this shows that you have a sound knowledge of your subject.
SOP For MBA and MS
Should there be any difference between SOP for MBA and other master's program such as MS and MBA?
Yes, Although the format or the basic structure for SOP remains the same in all states of purpose or in admission essays. They all include some common components like:
- Your academic performance
- Your goals and objectives
- Experiences and learnings
Besides these common features, MBA SOPs and MS SOP are distinguishable. Hereunder, we will be covering the points which make both of these unlike to each other.
MBA SOP vs MS SOP
MBA and masters both courses are distinct from each other. So, the SOPs will be different. The major difference is the profile of applicants. When we compare applicants profile for these, there is some remarkable difference. The experience, age, academic clarity, technical terminology and professional maturity are some of them.
|Criteria||MBA SOP||MS SOP|
|Experience||MBA aspirants are older and experienced. Thus, they will have many things to include in the SOP. MBA SOP reflects managerial potential, professionalism and academic integrity to prove the candidate as a seasoned executive, these skills are basic requirements for international MBA universities.||Master of Science(MS) applicants are usually younger and freshers or with minimal experience, as experience is not an eligibility criterion for MS.|
|Technicality||Here technical terms are included with a brief explanation about what they are, and what is their context. An MBA SOP should be self-explanatory and there should be no or moderate use of technical terminology.||SOPs of MS applicants use technical terms such as ELISA, LC/MS and HPLC etc.|
|Skills||An MBA university wants some fundamental skills in candidates including communication, decision-making skills and leadership skills.||While MS course is more inclined toward academic and research. The desired skills for aspects are extremely different from each other.|
|Communicative skills||A major thing which makes them different is that in MBA SOP soft skills and experience are highlighted, and also the life events which proves your skills are included.||In contrast, A MS SOP may or may not have such details. If you are preparing for MS SOP, you should highlight your knowledge related to your subject and share how you have improved your understanding of the subject. It is notable here, that the admission committee for MS program focuses on your knowledge.|
Writing a statement of purpose is possibly the best way to express achievements and goals in an effective manner to the admission officers. An SOP is similar to a pre-interview, and crucial component of your application. Be honest and original and do not forget to demonstrate your passion in your SOP.