XAT 2021 Exam Pattern:
XAT 2021 Exam pattern will be notified by the conducting authority on their official website. However, it is expected to remain the same as XAT 2020 exam. The XAT exam pattern will consist of four sections instead of earlier five. The number of questions in the revised XAT 2021 pattern will be 99. XAT 2021 exam pattern will be a computer-based test. Below is shared the XAT 2021 exam pattern.
Distribution of Question, XAT 2021
Section in XAT 2021 Exam Pattern
No. of questions
Overall Time Duration
|Verbal and Logical Ability||26||No time limit|
|Decision Making||21||no time limit|
|Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation||27||no time limit|
|Part-2||No. of Questions|
|General knowledge||25||15 mins|
Note: No Essay writing test IN XAT 2021
Key Features of XAT 2021
XAT pattern: Computer Based Test
XAT Total Questions: 99
XAT Question Type: MCQs
XAT Exam Pattern for MCQs: Each MCQ is followed by 5 answer options
XAT Scoring Pattern: +1 Mark for Each Correct
Negative Marking in XAT Pattern 2021: 0.25 (¼) mark deducted for MCQs from Sl. 1 to 74
No negative marking in XAT Question Pattern: GK questions are free from Negative Marking
XAT Test Paper Submission: Candidates are allowed to submit test paper after 30 minutes of the test commencement time
XAT Exam Time Duration: XAT 2021 exam pattern will be a time duration of 3 hours.
XAT Exam Pattern 2021 - Percentile Calculation: Only 3 sections in the XAT exam are taken into account to calculate the XAT percentile score and XAT merit list for the written exam. GK will not be counted for percentile calculation in the XAT exam pattern.
No Sectional Time Limit: XAT Pattern 2021 does not have a sectional time limit to solve the question paper. Candidate can attempt any question from any of the three sections within the overall time limit. However, the candidate will be allowed to go to Part 2 in XAT 2021 only after completing the time duration of Part 1
New Changes made in XAT Exam Pattern:
- NAT Questions Introduced: A new type of Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions in XAT pattern 2021 has been introduced by XLRI. To answer the NAT questions candidates have to use the virtual keypad appearing on the computer screen and enter the numerical answer.
- Penalty for Un-attempted Questions: Each un-attempted question beyond 8 questions will carry a negative marking penalty of 0.10 mark per unattempted question in revised XAT exam pattern 2021.
- No Essay Writing Test: There is no descriptive question on the Essay Writing test in the revised XAT pattern 2021.
- XAT Time Duration Reduced: XAT 2021 exam pattern will have a time duration of three hours instead of earlier three and a half hours.
- 25 Minutes Extra for Visually Impaired Candidates: XAT 2021 exam pattern will offer 25 minutes extra time for the scribe to complete the part-1 (first 3 sections) of XAT exam. No time concession is given for GK section
|Sections||No. of Questions|
|Decision Making (DM)||21|
|Verbal and Logical Ability (VA & LR)||26|
|Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation (QA & DI)||27|
|General Knowledge (GK)||25|
Instruction to follow in Exam Hall:
- For time management, a timer shall be present on the right- hand side corner of the computer screen.
- No specified sequence has to be followed by the candidates while answering the questions.
- While responding to the questions, candidates have the option of checking the count of attempted and unattempted questions.
- Candidates can change their response to another option if need be.
- Candidates can answer the questions in any sequence.
- Candidates can see one question at a time.
- They can select the option of ‘Next Question’ or ‘Previous Question’ to move on to different questions.
- The ‘Erase’ button at the bottom of the screen can be used to change the response.
- To review a particular question, candidates can use the ‘tag’ option to bookmark it and later ‘de-tag’ the same, if required.
- To know the status of every question, there is a color palette on the right-hand side of the screen. Different colors against the question status they represent are as follows:
|Yellow||The question hasn't been answered and kept for review|
|purple||The question has been answered and marked for review|
|White||The question hasn't been answered|
|Green||The question has been answered|
- Most of the selections made by the candidate will be in autosave mode.
- Candidates must note that questions marked for review or attempted will be considered attempted unless candidates use the ‘erase’ option on them.
- After finishing the exam candidates can use the ‘Preview Submit’ Button to view their responses.
- Candidates can only leave the exam hall after the completion of 3 hours.
The complete exam day instructions can be found in the XAT Admit Card
Previous year exam pattern Analysis
|VA-RC||26(without Essay Part)||24||24||26|
103 (With 1 essay )
Check previous year cutoffs here
XAT 2021 Exam Centres:
Click here to view the Syllabus