Aligarh Muslim University (AMU), Aligarh was established in 1877 as Muhammadan Anglo Oriental College in Aligarh by Sir Syed. It was one of the first purely residential educational institutions set up either by the government or the public in India. The college was originally affiliated with the University of Calcutta and subsequently got affiliated with the University of Allahabad in 1885. Near the turn of the century, the college began publishing its own magazine, the Aligarian and established a Law School. By 1920 the college was transformed into the Aligarh Muslim University. The University draws students from all states in India and from different countries, especially Africa, West Asia and Southeast Asia. In some courses, seats are reserved for students from SAARC and Commonwealth Countries. The university is open to all irrespective of caste, creed, religion or gender. It ranks 8th among the top 20 research universities in India.