TOEFL stands for Test of English as a Foreign Language. Having an international degree in today’s competitive world adds an extra charm to a candidate’s personality. One has to go through few entrance exams, serving as prerequisites for admission to the foreign universities. TOEFL exam is one of such exams, which is conducted every year to judge the comprehensive understanding of English as a language among those students who wish to pursue higher education in foreign countries. The exam is taken to test the reading, listening, speaking and writing skills of aspiring students. It’s an online exam that is offered 50 times a year. TOEFL exam is conducted online as well as offline mode. However, people generally opt for the Internet-based test. Currently, 8,500 colleges and universities scattered over 130 countries, use the TOEFL exam’s score.
Educational Testing Service (ETS)
Mode of exam
Internet-based and Paper-based
TOEFL iBT fee
TOEFL Paper-based test fee
Level of Exam
Language of Exam
The TOEFL exam can be scheduled any time round the year. The test dates are available for about 50 times in a year. If you already have a test appointment, you cannot register for another test date that is within 3 days of your existing appointment. The registration fee is due each time you register for a test date. The candidate can appear this exam as many times as he wants.
TOEFL 2021 Admit Card
The candidate has to bring the appointment letter on the test day. The Candidates should also bring at least 2 forms of acceptable ID each time they report to a test center. Each ID document must be:-
- An original document(photocopied documents are not acceptable)
- be valid; expired documents (bearing expiration dates that have passed) are not acceptable
- Include the test taker's full name matching exactly the name used to register
- Include a recent photograph that clearly matches the test taker
- Include the test taker's signature
If you do not bring valid and acceptable identification, or if the name on your ID does not exactly match the name on your registration, you will not be permitted to test and your test fee will not be refunded. You may be required to provide a supplemental ID, if the test administrator questions the ID you present.
Exam Day Instructions as released on the official website:
- Arrive at the test center at least 30 minutes before your specified start time. If you are late, you may not be able to take the test.
- The candidate's identity will be verified at registration or at check-in at the test center, which may include:
- Biometric voice and photo identification
- Video recording
- Signature comparison
- Before the test, you will receive instructions from test center staff regarding where to store personal items. You will not have access to your personal items during the testing session except for food, beverages, and medication, which may be accessed during breaks.
- You may be required to remove your eyeglasses for close visual inspection.
- ETS also reserves the right to ensure the security of test content using electronic detection scanning devices (for example, hand-held metal detectors/wands).
- Your photo will be taken and placed at your assigned seat. It will also appear on your score reports.
- You will be asked to sign a required confidentiality agreement.
- If you leave the testing room to go to the storage area, this will be considered an unscheduled break — you will be asked to sign in and out of the testing room and show your ID. Note: The test clock will not stop during this time.
- Phones, watches or any other electronic, recording, listening, scanning or photographic devices are not permitted during the test or during breaks.
- Usage of electronics items are prohibited
- Your seat will be assigned by the test administrator.
- No schedule changes can be made at the test center.
- Testing premises may be video recorded for security reasons.
- If you have health-related needs requiring you to bring equipment, beverages or snacks into the testing room or to take extra or extended breaks, these accommodations must be requested before you register for the test. Procedures for requesting accommodations are described in the Bulletin Supplement for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs (PDF).
- Test takers cannot leave the testing room or the test center building without permission during the test or during breaks.
- A standard QWERTY English-language keyboard is used for the test.
- Scratch paper is provided and must all be returned at the end of the test. You must use up all your scratch paper and return it to test center staff before you can ask for more. Do not tear or remove part of any of the pieces of scratch paper.
TOEFL 2021 Syllabus
The TOEFL test is given in English and administered via the Internet. There are four sections which take a total of about four and a half hours to complete. The subjects are given below:
In this section, you will read 3-5 passages and answer 12-14 questions about each passage.
- No. of questions: About 40
- Time: 54-72 minutes
In this test section, you will hear short conversations as well as long conversations. This section is MCQ based. After hearing the conversation you will be asked to answer questions based on that
- 3–4 lectures (3-5 minutes long, about 500-800 words),6 questions each; About 30 questions in total
- 2–3 conversations (about 3 minutes long, about 12-25 exchanges), 5 questions each; About 12 questions in total
- Time: 41–57 minutes
This section tests your speaking ability. It checks your understanding of the given topic and your fluency
Speaking Questions covered in TOEFL Syllabus:
- 1 independent task (prep time: 15 sec; response time: 45 sec)
- 3 integrated tasks – Read/Listen/Speak (prep time: 30 sec; response time: 60 sec)
- Total time: 17 minutes
In order to score well in this section, you should have a comprehensive understanding of the topic and write with proper grammar, provide with texts that support your answer
Writing Questions Covered in TOEFL Syllabus:
- 1 integrated task – Read/Listen/Write (20 minutes) (reading time: 3 min; listening time: 2 min; writing: 15 min)
- 1 independent task (30 minutes)
- Total time: 50 minutes
TOEFL 2021 Exam Pattern
TOEFL iBT test time has been shortened by 30 minutes, to just 3 hours, with no changes to the overall test format or question types. Earlier the test was conducted for a duration of 3 hours and 30 Minutes. The number of questions has also been reduced.
|Test Section||Before August 1, 2019||After August 1, 2019|
3–4 reading passages
12–14 questions each
3–4 reading passages
10 questions each
4–6 lectures, 6 questions each
2–3 conversations, 5 questions each
3–4 lectures, 6 questions each
2–3 conversations, 5 questions each
The Writing section remains the same, with 2 tasks taking a total of 50 minutes. The test is still scored on a 0–30 scale for each section, and 0–120 for the total score.
TOEFL Test Centers:
The candidates have the choice to select the test center. If the test center is available on that date when the exam is scheduled then it will be allotted to the candidate. Once you select a test center, you will have 20 minutes to complete your registration. If you have an advance reservation code, schedule your test appointment with the code.
The Indian cities where TOEFL test is conducted are Ahmedabad, Allahabad, Bangalore, Bhopal, Calcutta, Chennai, Cochin, Coimbatore, Dehradun, Delhi, Fatehpur, Gandhinagar, Greater Noida, Guindy, Gurgaon, Hyderabad, Indore, Jabalpur, Jaipur, Jalandhar, Kolkata, Pune, Lucknow, Ludhiana, Madurai, Mumbai, Mussoorie, Mysore, Nashik, Nizamabad, Panjim, Patna, Ranchi, Secunderabad, Surat, Trivandrum, Udaipur, Vadodara, Vijayawada, and Visakhapatnam.
TOEFL 2021 Cut-Off
There is no minimum cutoff released by the conducting authority. Different institutions set different cutoffs for admission. On the basis of the Candidate's Score, he/she will get admission. The candidate should visit the official website of their preferred college to know the cutoff marks.
Sending TOEFL 2021 Scores to Colleges:
The candidate gets the option of sending four free score reports to colleges at the time of registration. Official score reports will be sent to the selected recipients approximately after 13 days when the official scores are released.
Order Online: Go to the official website and select "Send Additional Score Reports" from your Home page and send the scores to your preferred institutions. Students can also avail of a discount on sending five Additional Score Reports by ordering the TOEFL Value Pack premium. ETS offers more value packs which students can order and avail huge discount on sending their scores to colleges/universities. Usually, the amount per report is 20$ (USD), which you can pay through debit, credit, e-check or Paypal. After your request is received by the organization, your scores will be sent within 3-5 business days.
Order by Fax: Fill the ‘TOEFL iBT Additional Score Report Request Form’ that you can get from the ETS website. Fax the form along with your registration details and payment information (debit or credit card) to 1-610-290-8972. If the fax fails or if you have to re-send the same form due to some issues, make sure to write ‘DUPLICATE’ in capital letters on the form itself to avoid double charges on your debit or credit card.
Order by Mail: For mail order, you need to fill the same form: ‘TOEFL iBT Additional Score Report Request Form’. Mail the form along with your payment information (debit or credit card) to the following address:
P.O Box 6153
Princeton, NJ 08541-6153 US
TOEFL 2021 Application Form
Candidates, who are interested in appearing for TOEFL exam, must register themselves. Registration can be done in any one of the following three methods i.e. Online, Phone and in Person. Due to the availability of the internet, many people opt for Online Registration. The required waiting period between TOEFL iBT tests has been reduced from 12 days to 3 days, which allows testing on consecutive weekends, as available dates permit. You can also register online up to just 2 days before the test (formerly 4 days). The standard late registration fee still applies from 7 days before the test.
For Online Registration, candidates should enter their personal details without any error. Online registration should be made seven days before the test. Payment of examination fee can be made by using credit cards or debit cards.
After filling the Registration form (PDF version), the student should review it and make a call to the regional registration office of TOEFL. During the call, students will be asked to spell their details correctly. The call should be made until 5.00 in the evening. Payment can be done by using a credit card or debit card. Candidate can also use electronic check for making payments.
Registration in Person:
In some regions, candidates can register themselves by visiting a local regional office of TOEFL. The registration process can be done against the cash payment of $ 144 (Rs. 5500).
Detailed Application Fees:
|Late Registration||US $40|
|Reinstatement of canceled scores||US$20|
|Additional score reports (per institution or agency)||US$19 each|
|Speaking or Writing Section score review||US$80|
|Speaking and Writing Section score review||US$160|
|Returned personal check (paper or electronic)||US$20|
Note: The fee to reschedule is US$60 and must be paid before you can register for a new date.
- Online: Log in to your ETS account, and click "Upcoming Tests" on your Home page.
- Select the test appointment you want to cancel or change, and then click "View/Modify."
- By phone: You have to provide name and application number to the Regional Registration Center
- Note: You cannot reschedule or cancel by mail, email or at the test center.
- If you cancel your registration before the 4-day deadline, you will be refunded 50 percent of the original test fee you paid. No refunds are given for other services.
- Refunds are given in U.S. dollars and include taxes as applicable. Cash refunds are not available.
- If you paid by credit/debit card or e-check, the refund will be credited to the original credit/debit card or bank account you used to pay.
TOEFL 2021 Counseling
The scorecard issued by the authority of the TOEFL Examination can be used for the admission process. There is no counselling process after this exam. Students have to apply for admission with their TOEFL Scorecard so as to be eligible.
TOEFL 2021 Result
Scores are posted online approximately 6 days after the test date, instead of 10 days. The PDF version of the score report is available to download within 8 days after your test. Score reports are also mailed to you (if you requested a paper copy) and sent to your selected institutions or agencies within 11 days after the test date.
A new feature has been released recently which is "my best scores" that combines your best scores for each section from all of your valid TOEFL iBT scores in the last 2 years.
- For the TOEFL iBT test, you will receive 4 scaled section scores and a total score:
- Reading Section (Score of 0–30)
- Listening Section (Score of 0–30)
- Speaking Section (Score of 0–30)
- Writing Section (Score of 0–30)
- Total Score (0–120)
|Speaking||0–4 points converted to 0–30 score scale||
|Writing||0–5 points converted to 0–30 score scale||
TOEFL scores remain valid for 2 years after the test date. Because language proficiency can change considerably in a relatively short period of time, TOEFL scores more than 2 years old cannot be reported or verified.
Steps to View Your TOEFL iBT Scores Online:
- Online: Click "View Scores and Score Recipients" on your Home page to see your scores. Then, select "View Scores."
- Via the app: Tap the "Scores" tab at the bottom of your Home page. From the menu next to the appropriate test date, tap "Score Details."
- See the list of dates (PDF) for an estimate of when you will be able to view your scores. You will also receive an email letting you know when your scores are available.
You can download and print a PDF copy of your test-taker score report from your account, within 8 days after you take the test. The list of dates (PDF) gives an estimate of when your PDF score report will be available. Note: PDF score reports are currently not available for tests taken in China.
Official Score Reports:
- Printed score reports are sent to your score recipients within 11 days after your test date.
- Speaking Section
- Each of the 4 tasks is rated from 0 to 4. The sum is converted to a scaled score of 0 to 30.
- A combination of AI and ETS-certified test scorers rate responses and evaluate how well you develop your topic and deliver your message in English.
- See the TOEFL iBT Speaking Section Scoring Guide (PDF).
- Writing Section
- The 2 tasks are rated from 0 to 5. The sum is converted to a scaled score of 0 to 30.
The Writing section is scored by:
- evaluating the integrated writing task for development, organization, grammar, vocabulary, accuracy and completeness
- rating the independent writing essay on overall writing quality, including development, organization, grammar and vocabulary
- Human rating — multiple, rigorously trained raters score tests anonymously. ETS raters are continually monitored to ensure fairness and the highest quality.
TOEFL 2021 Answer Key
The Answer Key is not released by the conducting body officially on its website.
TOEFL 2021 Eligibility
The candidate should qualify minimum eligibility guidelines set by the conducting before applying for the exam.
ETS has not specified any age limit required to appear for the TOEFL test.
Students who have successfully passed out high school or equivalent are eligible to appear for the exam.
TOEFL 2021 FAQs
Q: Can I order additional official score reports?
A: Yes, you can order additional score reports once your scores are available online, approximately 6 days after your test date. The fee is US$20 for each report ordered.
Q: Can I retake the test?
A: Yes, you can. There is no limit to the number of times you can take the test, but you cannot take it more than once in a 3-day period.
Q: Where are TOEFL test scores accepted?
A: TOEFL scores are accepted by institutions worldwide.
Q: What is the test fee refund policy?
A: If you cancel your registration before the 4-day advance deadline, you will receive a refund of half the original test fee you paid.
Q: What is the test duration?
A: 3 Hours.
Q: When do late fees apply?
A: A late fee of US$40 is charged for registrations received after this deadline. Late registration closes 2 days prior to your test date..
Q: How long are scores valid?
A: 2 years after the test date.