The course program involves the application of concepts of Biology and Physical Science to a study of fish, their ecosystem, food habits, diseases occurring in them and breeding practice, etc. The program is a specialized study of:
- Scientific concepts used in stages such as fish capture, processing, preservation, packing of fish and fish products, and subsequent transportation of them to other places.
- Legal as well as marketing aspects related to the fishing industry.
- An interdisciplinary examination of information from different fields like Oceanography, Management, Economics, Ecology, and Biology.
- Various aspects related to the breeding of fish along with farming and husbandry of important types of fish and aquatic organisms.
Fish farms employ technicians and general workers to carry out feeding duties, monitoring stock, and identifying any problems or diseases. These engineers are in charge of operating and maintaining fish farm equipment such as water pumps and water treatment devices. Fish farm managers oversee all but everything, and deal with corporate responsibilities such as budget control and client meetings.
Q: Which are the good colleges to pursue UG & PG in Fisheries?
A: Some of the top good colleges are mentioned below:
- Junagadh Agricultural University, Junagadh
- Indian Council of Agricultural Research, Delhi NCR
- Ganga Kaveri Institute of Science and Management, Bangalore
- Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology (OUAT), Odisha
Q: What is Fisheries?
A: The course program involves the application of concepts of Biology and Physical Science to a study of fish, their ecosystem, food habits, diseases occurring in them and breeding practice, etc.
Q: What is the starting salary in a career in Fisheries?
A: The average starting salary is around 3.5 to 5 Lakhs per annum
Q: What is the minimum qualification required for an M.Sc Degree in Fisheries?
A: The minimum qualification is mentioned below:
- The student should have a Bachelor’s or equivalent degree in science with 50% minimum marks
- The student should have graduated from a recognized college or university
Q: What are the top entrances for a degree in Fisheries?
A: The top entrances are mentioned below:
Q: Who are the top recruiters in the field of Fisheries?
A: Some of the top recruiters are mentioned below:
- Fish farming
- Colleges and Universities
- Fish research centers
- Fish retail markets
Q: What is the top career scope in the field of Fisheries?
A: The popular career/job profiles are mentioned below:
- Research Associate
- Senior Fisheries Scientist
- Fisheries Development Officer
Q: What is the Admission Process for Fisheries?
A: The admission process generally varies across the colleges. The admission process for the students is based over the performance in the relevant entrance examination and also often followed by the round of the personal interview, wherein the general aptitude for the course is being tested. There are institutes where there is direct admission which is based over the candidate's performance at the last qualifying exam.
Q: What is the duration of a course in Fisheries?
A: The duration of both U.G and P.G course is mentioned below:
- Bachelor of science Fisheries: 4 Years
- Masters of Science in Fisheries: 2 Years
Q: Can I get direct admission into a course in Fisheries?
A: There are institutes where there is direct admission which is based on the candidate's performance at the entrance exam. But there are also some institutions or universities that provide direct admission on merit basis.