Areas of Specialization:
The specializations in the field of food technology are as the following;
- Fruits and vegetables
- Oil and oilseed processing
- Bakery and confectionery items
Shoolini University: Faculty of Applied Sciences and Biotechnology, Solan
Acharya NG Ranga Agricultural University: College of Food Science and Technology, Kadapa
College of Agriculture - Hassan, Hassan
Agricultural Engineering College and Research Institute, Coimbatore
Osmania University: University College of Technology (OUCT), Hyderabad
The course study for Food Technology the basic highlights are :
Courses & Eligibility
|Diploma||3 years||Minimum of 50% marks in 10th or +2.||state-level entrance|
|Under Graduate(UG)||4 years||
Minimum of 50% marks in +2 with science stream with compulsory core subject as physics, chemistry, and mathematics and biology/ home science as optional.
3-year diploma holders can also apply.
|JEE Main, OJEE|
|Post Graduate(PG)||2 years||An aggregate mark of 50% is required in the Bachelor's degree in the stream of either Biochemistry/ Microbiology/ Biotechnology/ Home Science/ Agriculture/ Food Science & Nutrition/ Food Technology.||GATE, SRMJEE|
The top recruiters for the course study of Food Technology are :
- MTR Food Limited
- Dabur India Ltd
- Agro Tech Foods
- Parle Products Pvt Ltd
- Hindustan Lever Limited
- Cadbury India Ltd
The admission process for the Food Technology is based on their accomplishment in a relevant entrance examination, conducted mostly at the institutional level, followed with a round of personal interview. In the personal interview round, the candidate's general aptitude for the course is examined and a merit list is then issued by each of the institute, where the names of the students are being declared. Admission process for the respective institutes varies accordingly.
Syllabus and Courses
The syllabus and the courses for the stream of Food Technology are accordingly to the semester and the topics as accordingly here are :
- Fundamentals of Food Processing
- Introduction to Food Chemistry
- Food Hygiene and Sanitation
- Fundamentals of Milk Processing
- Food Analysis
- Food Laws and Quality Assurance
- Fermented and Coagulated Milk Products
- Bakery and Confectionery Products
- The technology of Pulses and Oilseeds
- Principles of Fruits and Vegetables Technology
- Processed Fruits and Vegetable Products
- The technology of Spices and Plantation Products
- Introduction to Business Laws and Ethics
- Sugar and Confectionery Technology
- Food Chemistry
- Food Packaging
- Food Additives
- Protein Chemistry and Technology
- Emerging Technologies in Food Processing
- Food Dehydration Technology
- Enzymology Lab
- Lab Analysis of Food Lab
The skills required for the course study of Food Technology are :
- Strong knowledge of math/food chemistry knowledge.
- Must have excellent communication skills and the ability to interact productively on an internal/external basis.
- The ability to build the database paying attention to the details for the food analysis.
- Strong ingredient and raw materials knowledge.
- Must be an excellent communicator and would be able to create a positive relationship with all the stakeholders.
- The demonstrated ability to use the physical senses to evaluate the full variety of the flavors and the relevant products.
- Must be good with the knowledge of the beverage product manufacturing processes.
The top entrances for the course study of Food Technology are :
Career and Job Prospects
Average Salary Per Annum
|Food Technologist||The job of a Food Technologist is to develop new methods to manufacture food and preserve it to keep it safe and hygienic. Using such methods, they enhance the color, flavor, and food's resistance from natural degradation by factors such as micro-organisms and toxins.||10 - 12 lakhs|
|Organic Chemist||Organic Chemists study and analyze carbon-containing molecules. The Chemists characterize, synthesize and find applications for organic molecules. They also perform calculations and chemical reactions to enhance food quality.||8 - 10 lakhs|
|Biochemist||Biochemists generally work for government agencies, corporations or university research departments. They work in office settings and/ or laboratories. Their main duties include planning and conducting experiments for analyzing and developing new products.||7 - 8 lakhs|
|Production Manager||The job of a Production Manager is to ensure that manufacturing processes run reliably and efficiently. Their responsibilities include planning and organizing production schedules and re-negotiating timescales or schedules as and when required. They may also oversee the daily operations of food processing. Also, they are responsible for ensuring that production processes meet health, sanitation, and quality standards set by the given corporation.||6 - 8 lakhs|
|Food Scientist||Food Scientists work for food production companies, farms, and processing plants. Food scientists also conduct researches at universities, towards investigating new methods for improving soil health, nutrition, and other facets of food quality.||4- 5 lakhs|