Structural Engineering is all about designing and analyzing the structures that support or resist. Structural Engineering is considered as an area of specialization or a branch of civil engineering which is one of the oldest fields in Engineering. Civil and Structural Engineering is a specialization of the board domain of Civil Engineering that focuses on design construction, preservation of elements and evaluation. It involves buildings, bridges, towers, flyovers, tunnels offshore structures, Aerostructure and other structures that support and resist the load. Structural Engineering is a branch of Civil Engineering and it utilizes several simple structural elements to build complex structural systems.
Here most of the colleges/Universities/Institutions conduct their entrance exam privately.
For B.tech -
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) of Delhi
- IIT, Mumbai
- IITM, Chennai
- IIT, Kanpur
- IIIT, Hyderabad
- Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science Engineering
- SRM University
For M.Tech –
- Sharda University, Noida
- Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science, Chennai
- University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun
- Galgotias University, Noida
- Jawaharlal Nehru Technology University(JNTU)
- Amrita University, Coimbatore
- MVJ College of Engineering, Bengaluru
- IIIT, Hyderabad
- The Structural Engineering theory based on the applied physical laws and empirical knowledge of the structural performance of different materials and empirical knowledge.
- The UG (B.Tech) course is of 4 years containing 8 semesters and the PG (M.Tech) course is of 2 years with 4 semesters.
Courses and Eligibility:
|B.E/B.TECH||4 years||The candidate must have scored a minimum of 50% mark in 10, +2 in the PCM or Biotechnology stream. A 3-year Diploma holder is also eligible.||JEE Main, OJEE|
|M.E/M.TECH||2 years||The candidate must have completed B.E or B.Tech in either field of Automobile/ Manufacturing/ Mechanical/ Mechatronics/ Production with an aggregate mark of 50%.||GATE, SRM JEE|
- Gammon India Ltd
- Larsen and Toubro Ltd
- Afcons Infrastructure Ltd
- Godrej Properties Ltd
- Tata Consultancy
- Reliance Construction
- Hindustan Construction
- The process of admission varies from organization to organization as they have different criteria related to marks, fees, and eligibility. For example HITS (Hindu Institute of Technology & Science) and SRM University conducts their exam to choose candidates.
- Through management quota, candidates can get direct admission.
- Through lateral entry, candidates can directly get admission into the 2nd year if they have completed a diploma in Civil Engineering
- Most of the Institution considers JEE score for admission.
- Through central counseling based on candidates obtained merit list in PGCET (Postgraduate common Entrance Test) admission to this course is also conducted.
- Computer-Aided Design of Structure
- Tall buildings
- Storage and Industrial Structure
- Computer Analysis of Structures
- Advanced Structural Design
- Bridge Engineering
- Analysis and Design of Sandwich Panels
- Forensic civil Engineering
- Repair and Rehabilitation of structures
- Design of Machine Foundation
- Design of Earthquake Resistant structure
For M.Tech –
- Sem 1: Theory of elasticity and Plasticity, Matrix method of structural analysis, Industrial Structures, advanced concrete Structures, structural dynamics, Advanced concrete lab, computer-aided structural design lab-1, advanced marine structures, design, and construction of offshore Structures, construction management practices, the stability of structures, etc
- Sem 2: Finite Element Method, Seismic design of the structure, Theory of plates and shells, foundation of structures, elective-2&3, Design of floating structures, Bridge Engineering, designing of water resources and storage structure, etc.
- Sem 3: Project & seminar
- Sem 4: Project and seminar
- A strong graph in Physics
- 3-dimensional conceptual skill
- Detail orientation
- Analytical skills
- Excellent computer skills.
- communication skill
- Strong interpersonal skill
- Knowledge of Construction management
- Updated technical skills
- Joint Entrance Examination (main)- JEE Main
- Joint Entrance Examination (JEE Advanced)
- Birla Institute of Technology and science admission Test(BITSAT)
- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering GATE)
- SRM Joint Engineering Entrance Exam (SRMJEEE)
- UPES M.Tech in Engineering entrance Test(UPES MEET)
- Manipal University Online Entrance Test (MU-OET)
Career /Job prospects:
|Job Prospectives||Job description||Salary|
|Planning Engineer||Develop construction strategy for projects||3.5 lacs to 5 lacs|
|Assistant Engineer||Construction of maintenance and capital improvement program||2.5 lacs to 4.5 lacs|
|Project Engineer||schedule preparation, pre-planning of resource forecasting for project-related activities||1.5 lacs to 3.5 lacs|
|Site Engineer||Guiding for teamwork, Planning for construction project||2 lacs to 4 lacs|
|manage the planning and design stage of construction projects, evaluate the structural, electrical, and mechanical conditions of each project.||2.5 lacs onwards|
|Bridge Engineer||Management of structural analysis and design, the load rating of roadway and rail bridges, and contract document preparation (plans, specifications, estimate) for design/build and conventional bridge projects.||2.5 lacs to 6 lacs|
|Civil Engineer||Management of structural analysis and design, the load rating of roadway and rail bridges, and contract document preparation (plans, specifications, estimate) for design/build and conventional bridge projects.||1.5 lacs to 3 lacs|
Q: What are the basics of Structural Engineering?
A: Mostly it deals with the overall calculation of building/elements. The fundamentals are to understand building forces, actions & reactions, bending, the vibration of a building, analyze earthquake, energy dissipation systems of the building.
Q: What does Structural Engineer do?
A: They work in the office and on the construction site. They have to work in a different location like metropolitan and rural environments too. They design, Investigate the building site, communicate with the team. The overall outcome of a project depends on the idea and management of the Structural Engineer.