Marine Engineering also is known as Oceanographic Engineering or the Ocean Engineering is the program course which deals with the study, design, construction, management, and maintenance or the handling of the different types to machines, cargo, engines, etc. Marine Engineering is the one which follows the advanced technology and techniques to construct large cruise ships and machines that would be useful for the navigatii\on process over the vast water bodies around the globe.
Marine Engineering is the course and program where one learns to design, build, analyze and work over the offshore and the onshore projects. Their work is aligned with the naval structures and architects, ranging from the small yachts, boats to submarines and the aircrafts carriers.
The highlights of Marine Engineering or Oceanographic Engineering can be generalized as below.
|Marine Operation and Maintance||Marine Cybernetics||Marine Hydrodynamics|
|Marine System Design||Marine Structures||Marine Resources and Aquaculture|
Naval Architect, Oceanographic Engineering Offshore Engineering are few of the Marine Engineering Specialties.
Course & Eligibility:
- A candidate must have passed the 10th exam with a minimum of 60%.
- State-level Entrance (DET)
|B. Tech in Marine Engineering||4 years|
- A candidate must be 12th pass with a minimum of 60% in subjects category PCM(Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics).
- A Candidate must be below 25 years (both for boys and girls).
- A candidate must be fully Fit for sea services under all Norms.
- JEE main
- JEE advanced
|M. Tech in Marine Engineering|
- Candidates must have the marine engineering degree and with GATE score.
The top recruiters for the Marine Engineering are :
- Indian Maritime University
- IRM Offshore and Marine Engineers Pvt. Ltd.
- Tractebel Engineering
- Vanson Engineering Pvt. Ltd.
An entrance examination is conducted for the admission process which is usually in the month of May, every year. Institutes like R.L. Institute conducts the all India Level online test to gauge the knowledge of students. One needs to qualify the entrance exam i.e Joint Entrance Examination conducted by the Indian Insitute of Technology (IIT) that assess the candidate’s knowledge over the subjects like physics, chemistry, and mathematics. The examination is followed by interviews, counseling, where the candidates have been examined basis on the degree of awareness, the alertness to their respective external environment to check for the sustainability for the Marine career.
- Diploma in Marine Engineering (3 years): Candidates should have passed their 10th/10+2 examination with a minimum aggregate of 55% marks and compulsory subjects which are, science and mathematics from any recognized Institution.
- B.E./B.Tech. in Marine Engineering (4 years): Candidates should have completed their XII class examination with PCM and at least 50% marks in aggregate from any recognized Institution/University. Candidates who have completed their 3-year diploma course are also eligible to get admission. Candidates should have qualified any one of the Engineering entrance exams.
- M.E./M.Tech. in Marine Engineering (2 years): Candidates should have completed their B.E./B.Tech. degree in Mechanical/Marine or any other equivalent stream.Candidates with 55% marks in aggregate from any recognized Institution/University.
The general subjects that include in the Oceanographic Engineering or the Marine Engineering can be generalized as :
- Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Electrical Engineering and Electronics
- Mechanical Engineering
- Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering
- Ocean Engineering
- Systems Engineering
Marine Engineers must possess the qualities, which could be generalized are:
- Mechanical skills.
- An eye for detail.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Decision-making ability.
- Good communication skills.
Average Salary per annum
|Chief Marine Engineer||The construction, operations and maintenance of the engine room are the main obligations of a marine engineer. This means that they deal with the technical area of the ship. In fact, they are the overall in-charge of the engine and its crew. The top rung of the hierarchical ladder is the post of a chief engineer.|
India-3 lakhs to 3.6 lakhs
Foreign trip-9 lakhs to 12 lakhs
|Ship Design Engineer||Marine engineers typically do the following: Prepare system layouts and detailed drawings and schematics. Inspect marine equipment and machinery, and draw up work requests and job specifications. Conduct environmental, operational, or performance tests on marine machinery and equipment.||5 lakhs to 11 lakhs|
|Technical Superintendent||The Ship Technical Superintendent is responsible for all technical and operational related issues, including the correspondence. You will be directly responsible for ensuring all procedures are adhered to and comply with International safety management (ISM), classification society rules, and Maritime insurance.||40 lakhs to 50 lakhs|
|Shipping firms and shipyards||A shipyard (also called a dockyard) is a place where ships are built and repaired. These can be yachts, military vessels, cruise liners or other cargo or passenger ships. Shipyards are constructed near the sea or tidal rivers to allow easy access for their ships.||6 lakhs to 8 lakhs|
Question: When can I become the Chief Engineer of a Ship?
Answer: After a person pass various certificates of Competency (COC) examinations and can become Chief Engineer within a short span of 6 to 7 years.
Question: Do I enjoy any tax benefit as a Seafarer?
Answer: Yes, if you stay outside India of 182days in an accounting year(April this year to March next year), you will be treated as Non-Resident Indian(NRI). In such an event the entire salary is exempted from Income Tax(you do not have to pay any income tax).
2019 Admin by educationasia.com
Remove Font Style (CTRL+\)
Unordered list (CTRL+SHIFT+NUM7)