In today’s fast running competitive world, man has become so busy that various automatic machines, vehicles and other items are produced to cope with the busy schedule of our life. Automation & Robotics is the science of using control systems and new technologies which will reduce human efforts and manpower in every work process with less time consumption. In this Industrialization process going on in everywhere, automatic technology has taken over other terms of mechanization.
Automation and Robotics is a special branch of engineering that provides in-depth knowledge in different areas like robotic sensors, electro-mechanics, artificial intelligence and automatic system. The Automation and Robotics courses deal with the designing of the robots, maintaining of the robots, develop new and updated applications and conduct research in the automation system. Different concepts like auto-driven cars are among some of the basics of automation and robotics course.
- Bharath Institute of Higher Education & Research, Chennai : This private university was founded in 2003. The institute conducts the Bharath Engineering Entrance Examination for enrolling students to the various engineering courses. The test is conducted every year in April. The institute offers B. Tech and M.Tech courses for the candidates.
- Dr. Radhakrishnan Institute of Technology, Jaipur : The institute offers B. Tech in Robotics Engineering. The duration of the course is four years. The average fee per year for the B. Tech course in Robotics Engineering is Rs 70000. For applying to this course, the candidate must have scored 55 percent in their class 12 exam with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
- SRM University, Chennai : This is a NAAC A++ Grade institution located in Chennai. They offer B.Tech in Mechatronics Engineering (Robotics) to the candidates. This is a four years full time course and the total fees for the course are Rs 10 lakh. Candidates must have completed their 12th exam with 50 percent marks in the Science stream.
- Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Technology, Hyderabad : This is an institution offering technical courses to the candidates. The institute has NAAC A Grade ranking. It offers four years full time B. Tech in Mechatronics Engineering. The course fees are Rs 4.32 lakh. For applying to the course, the candidates must have passed class 12 board exam in Science Stream with 45 percent marks.
- Indian Institute of Information Technology, Allahabad : This is a public university founded in 1999 and is among the nineteen IITs in India. The institute offers M.Tech in Robotics. This is a two year full time course. For getting admission to the course, one will have to pass the GATE exam. The minimum eligibility for the course is passing B. Tech or B.E.
- The Neotia University, Kolkata : Founded in 2015, this is a UGC recognized private university. The institute offers B.Tech in Robotics and Automation. This is a four years full time course. The course fees are Rs 4.52 lakh. The minimum eligibility is passing class 12 board exams in Science Stream with 60 percent marks.
- Manipal Institute of Technology : This AICTE approved educational institution offers M. Tech in Industrail Automation and Robotics. The two years full time course costs Rs 4.10 lakh. The minimal eligibility criteria is completing Bachelors with 50 percent marks.
- The National Institute of Engineering, Mysore : Established in 1946, the university was granted autonomy in 2007. The course offers M. Tech in Industrial Automation and Robotics. The two years full time course is affiliated to VTU. The fees for the course are Rs 1.79 lakh. For admission to the course, one needs to pass their Bachelors with 50 percent marks.
- Gandhi Institute for Technology, Bhubaneswar : This is a private educational institution approved by AICTE. The institute offers M. Tech in Robotics Engineering. The institute is affiliated to BPUT.
|4 Years,2 Years respectively|
Areas of Specialization:
- Artificial Intelligence
- Design and Control
- Robot Motion Planning
- Robot Manipulators
Courses & Eligibility
|B.Tech||4 years||Candidate should have completed 10th and +2 with a minimum mark of 55% and physics, chemistry, and mathematics/ biology as its core subjects. 3-year diploma holders with a minimum of 55% are also eligible.||JEE Main, SRM JEEE|
|M.Tech||2 years||Candidates with a bachelor's degree in fields such as such as Electronics and Communication Engineering/ Electrical Engineering/ Mechanical Engineering/ Computer Science Engineering/Robotics Engineering/ Industrial and Production Engineering/ Automobile Engineering/ Aeronautical Engineering/ Mechatronics/ Electrical & Electronics/ Instrumentation & Control with a minimum aggregate mark of 50% are eligible.||JEE Advanced, GATE|
After completing a degree course in Robotocs and Automation, one can take jobs in maintenance, manufacturing and research areas of nuclear plants and other areas. With the advancements made in science and technology, robotics technology is used mainly in power plant maintenance, space exploration, petroleum exploring places and automobile industry. Plenty of job opportunities have opened up in this field both in India and abroad. One can work as robot manufacturers or robot engineers.
One can also build robots for different industries like electronics and appliances building, food packaging and so on. Teaching jobs in private and government institutions are also available.
- Robotics Programmers
- Robot Design Engineer
- Robotics Technicians
- Senior Robotics Specialist
- Automated Product Design Engineer
- Maintenance Engineers
- Agricultural Instrumentation Engineer
- Robotics System Engineer
- Robotics Test Engineers
- Robotics Testers
- Precision Automation Robotics India Limited (PARI)
- Defacto Robotics and Automation
- Defense Research & Development Organisation (DRDO)
- Soliton Technologies
- Asimov Robotics
- Hi-Tech Robotics Systems
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL)
- Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Robotics Engineering Course: After checking the basic eligibility criteria, you have to sit for the entrance exam. JEE Mains Score is accepted by most institutions. Some private educational institutions organize their own entrance exam. The top ranked students get the chance to enrol for the course.
The admission is completed based on these entrance exams:
- JEE Mains
- Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Exam (UPSEE)
- AP EAMCET
- Jee Advanced
- TS EAMCET
- All India Engineering Entrance Exams (AIEEE)
- Master’s Degree in Robotics Engineering Course: Colleges usually admit those candidates who have completed their Bachelors in engineering for this course. However some colleges admit students based on the GATE score. Some educational institutions also admit students based on their work experience. They also conduct interviews and group discussions for picking the best candidate. The candidates who are waiting for their final year graduation results can also apply.
- Diploma in Robotics Engineering Course: Admission in the diploma course depends solely on the rules of the institute. Students who have completed their 12th in Science stream can apply for the Diploma Course.
Important subjects taught in this course are:
- Engineering Mechanics
- Basic Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Kinematics of Machines
- Design of Machine Elements
- Basics of Automation & Robotics
- Electronics Measurement & Instrumentation
- Microprocessors & Controllers
- Hydraulic & Pneumatic
- Advanced Robotics
- Flexible Manufacturing System
- Programming Industrial Automation Systems
- Machine and Mechanics
- Robot Programming
- Electrical Actuators and Drives
- Robotics Based Industrial Automation
- Robotics Control System
- PLC and Data Acquisition system
- Artificial Intelligence and Neural Network
- Comp Numerical Ctrl Machines & Adaptive Control
- Robot Economics
- Robotic Simulation
- Group Technology and Cellular Manufacturing
- Good in programming and design
- Excellent communication skills
- Good knowledge in mathematics, physics, and chemistry
- Knowledge of mechanical equipment
- familiar with microprocessors, electric drives, industrial sensors, etc.
- Interest in research
- JEE-Main: JEE Main is an exam that is conducted on a national level for admitting students to various engineering and architectural courses in different institutes in India. This is a computer based exam.
- WBJEE: This is a test conducted by the Government of West Bengal for gaining admission to engineering and degree colleges in West Bengal.
- JEE Advanced : This is an examination held annually for the enrolling of foreign nationals to various engineering courses. This is a computer based test that is organized annually by the seven zonal IITs.
- OJEE : This is an exam conducted by the state government of Orissa for admitting students to engineering, management, private and government medical institutes. ojee.nic.in
- Tripura JEE: This is a state level test organized by the Tripura Board of Joint Entrance Examination. This exam is conducted for enrolling students to Engineering, Veterinary, Fisheries, Paramedical and other courses.
- SRMJEEE :This is a university level exam conducted for the purpose of enrolling students to institutes and universities of SRM Group. This exam is conducted annually for admitting candidates to B. Tech courses.
- GATE : The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering tests the candidate’s understanding of different undergraduate subjects in the field of science and engineering. The test is taken for admitting students to the Masters program of the different institutes.
Careers & Job Prospects
Average Salary Per Annum
|Automated Product Design Engineer||Automation Product Design Engineers design, program, simulate and test automated machinery and processes in order to complete exact tasks. They typically are employed in industries such as car manufacturing or food processing plants, where robots or machines are used to perform specific functions.||8 - 10 lakhs|
|Robotics Programmer||The primary job role is to provide robot- process support along with direction to the organization through the process- planning, design, support, and execution, and to participate in multiple application projects as a Robotics Technician. The primary focus involves startup, programming, and debugging of robotic automation.||3 - 4 lakhs|
|Robotics Engineer||Robotics engineers are responsible for designing, testing, and building robots that are productive and safe to operate as well as economical to purchase and maintain. These engineers use computer-aided design and drafting, and computer-aided manufacturing (CADD/CAM) systems to perform their tasks.||4 - 5 lakhs|
|Bio-robotics Engineer||To develop biologically-inspired robots with improved and enhanced capabilities that have greater mobility and flexibility than traditional robots and often possess sensory abilities.||3 - 4 lakhs|
|Robotic Welding Engineer||The Robotic/Welding Engineer is a valuable role responsible for providing support in welding-related technical questions. This position will be part of the Program Management team. Tasks include reviewing customer and standard requirements as well as managing and improving welding data to optimize productivity.||4 - 5 lakhs|
Q: What is the difference between automation and robotics?
A: The main difference between robotics and automation is that robots are a piece of equipment that can perform a variety of tasks with programming, while automation is a term that is used for special purpose machines or systems that are designed to perform a specific task.
Q: Are Artificial Intelligence(AI) and robots the same?
A: An AI is a computer program designed for tasks normally requiring human intelligence (a human's ability to learn), while a robot is a machine that completes complex tasks. An AI could be used to control a robot, but they are very different.