Nano Technology Engineering is the study of manipulating matter on an atomic, molecular, and supra-molecular scale. Nanotechnology refers to the estimated capability to build items or products by using scratch and making use of various tools and techniques to make and complete high-quality performance products. Nanotechnology is very diverse, ranging from extensions of conventional device physics to completely new approaches based upon molecular self-assembly, from developing new materials with dimensions on the Nano-scale to investigating whether we can directly control matter on the atomic scale.
- Amity Institute of Nanotechnology, Noida
- University of Petroleum and Energy Studies (UPES), Dehradun
- Aryabhatta Knowledge University (AKU), Patna
- SRM University, Kanchipuram
- Indian Institute of Technology( Delhi, Mumbai, Kanpur)
- National Institute of Technology (Rourkela
- Jawaharlal Nehru Center for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR), Bangalore
A Nanotechnology Engineer seeks to learn new things that can change the face of health, science, technology, and the environment on a molecular level. They can manipulate cells, proteins, and other chemicals from within the body.
Top areas where a Nano Technology Engineer works are:
- Organic Chemistry
- Molecular Biology
- Surface Science
- Semiconductor Physics
Courses and Eligibility
|Minimum 50% marks in 12th or equivalent with science stream and physics, chemistry, and mathematics as its core subjects.
|JEE Main, SRM JEE
|Must have graduated in any bachelor’s degree in engineering or technology.
|JEE Advanced, GATE
- Nilima Nanotechnologies
- Micro Materials
- Yash Nanotech
- Auto Fibre Craft
- For a bachelor’s degree in Nanotechnology, the candidate firstly must be eligible to apply. Followed by performance in entrance tests. Entrance tests are conducted on a national level, state level, and university level. When all the criteria are fulfilled, some colleges have the process of personal interviews while others have direct counseling.
- For a master’s degree in Nanotechnology, the candidate must have completed his/her bachelor’s degree in science or technology stream, from a known and reputed university. Further, the performance in entrance tests like GATE is considered to get admission.
Some core subjects taught in Nanotechnology Engineering are:
|Synthesis of Nano Materials
|Foundation of NanoScale Science and Technology
|Principles of Environmental Science
|Electronic and Optical Properties of Material
|Biology for Engineers
|Elements of Nano Science
|Non-Conventional Energy Sources
|Statistical Mechanics and Thermodynamics
|Atomic and Electronic Structure of Matter
|Fundamentals of Solid State Technology
|Experimental Methods in Nanotechnology
|Properties of Nano Materials
|Bioengineered Nano Materials
Candidates having good mathematical skills and good knowledge in computer programming can very well succeed in this field. The candidates must have strong analytical skills so that they can review data related to their research and the effectiveness of the products they create. They also need problem-solving skills to develop strategies to alter designs to improve the performance of their products.
The candidates must be good at paperwork and detailed description writing. The candidate must be hard working as they may need to work long hours in laboratories, and should have good attention to detail as they have to work with very tiny objects.
- Joint Entrance Exam(JEE) Main, Advanced
- Central University Common Entrance Test (CET)
- Amrita University Common Entrance Test
- Banaras Hindu University Postgraduate Entrance Test
- Delhi University Joint Admission Test (DU-JAM)
- Vellore Institute of Technology Master’s Entrance Exam (VITMEE)
- NIPER Joint Entrance Examination
- SRM Engineering Entrance Examination
- Graduate Aptitude Test Engineering (GATE)
Career and Job Profile
|Salary Per Annum
|Nanotechnologists manipulate matter on the Nanoscale (one billionth of a meter), developing new materials and equipment as well as drugs and diagnostic tools.
|2.5 – 3 lakhs
|MicrofabricationEngineers researches, design, develop, and test microfabricated systems.Microfabrication technicians assist engineers in clean rooms, laboratories, manufacturing plants, and research facilities.
|3.2 – 3.4 lakhs
|MEMS Device Physics Engineer
|The MEMS Design Engineer will be involved in the development of new MEMS Vision microsystems devices, through design and simulation. He will also participate in the elaboration and refinement of fabrication process flows for MEMS devices, in close collaboration with the MEMS Production Team.
|6 – 6.5 lakhs
|NanoTech Scientist & Researcher
|They conduct experiments to use Nano-sized particles, devices, and perhaps someday robots to repair the human body. They research and develop Nanofibres to create lightweight, super-strong materials for a range of uses.
|4.8 – 5.2 lakhs
|Near Field Semiconductor Engineer
|As a semiconductor engineer, you're responsible for creating the piece that facilitates the functionality of an electrical device. You may work with silicon, which is the main component in semiconductors, as well as other materials, including chemical solvents and gases.
|4.5 – 5 lakhs
Q: What are the major job responsibilities of a Nanotechnology Engineer?
A: The major job responsibilities are to supervise or provide technical direction to technicians engaged in Nanotechnology research or production. Collaborate with scientists or engineers to design or conduct experiments for the development of Nanotechnology materials, components, devices, or systems.
Q: Is Nanotechnology a good career?
A: Indian engineering and science graduates are increasingly opting for nanotechnology. It is also estimated Nanotechnology will create another five million jobs worldwide in support fields and industries. A professional in the field of nanotechnology can easily find lucrative jobs in most of the fields.